Quantcast

Saint Vs Diablous cranks ?

stgil888

Monkey
Jun 16, 2004
Malibu, CA
Saints are lighter and can be cheaper. Diabolus are heavier and are backed by a company with (arguably) better C/S. Both use X-Type BB's. If you're looking for a new set of DH cranks there are some others that you might want to consider. I was in the market for some new cranks recently. If you're interested in what I had to say about it, I wrote about it here.

If you're asking what the pro's and con's are of getting an X-Type set up like Saint or Diabolus vs. a traditional crankset, the argument is that the larger outboard bearings and spindle make for a longer lasting, stiffer crankset. Good luck.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
i personally believe that the way the saint cranks are mounted is much better than the way the diabolous cranks are mounted. the fact that you can just slide the crank on to check things like chainguide spacing and whatnot and the fact that it takes about 30 seconds to install the non driveside crank makes the cranks a better option than race face's offering.

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
Saint = better cranks, Diabolus = better BB. Since they're compatible, Saint with Diabolus BB is a winning combo.
Hollow forged arms with a pinchbolt clamp setup is far superior in my eyes to CNC'd arms with press fit spline. The RF BB has more thread insertion in the BB cups though, hence my reccomendation.

ragin-sagin

Monkey
Oct 2, 2003
NZ
I dig the easy setup of the saints which is far better than the shims you need with the RF(although I have never run the saints, they are surely as easy as the xt with the same design)...the bb bearings in my last two diablous have been horrible too, but the CS was awesome. I would go with the saints if I was you.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Rik said:
Saint = better cranks, Diabolus = better BB.
Not true. The diabolous BB runs home-brand full complement cartridge bearings, a poor choice for BB bearings - along with some lousy shields (or poor excuses for seals). Dirt gets in through the ****ty seals, and then grinds between the close tolerances of the full complement bearing. A great combo, not.

The saint BB runs japanese (aftermarket) caged cartridge bearings, with a proper external shield/seal on the BB, with an actual lip/tortured path setup for the shield. Less chance of anything getting in, and less chance of damage if it does.

Thread insertion is NOT a problem with shimano as long as you space the BB as intended, the shimano manual states pretty clearly what is okay and what is not (there is only ONE correct spacing setup for any given bb width/chainguide setup). Furthermore, running the RF BB overspaced with saint cranks would again be a bad idea because you would sacrifice spline contact area on the saint axle, and then complain about shimano cranks falling off...

IMO the best combo is saint cranks on saint BB. Saint not only because of the BB but because of far easier setup (installation/removal), superior crank/axle interface, and lighter weight.

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
Rik said:
Saint = better cranks, Diabolus = better BB. Since they're compatible, Saint with Diabolus BB is a winning combo.
Hollow forged arms with a pinchbolt clamp setup is far superior in my eyes to CNC'd arms with press fit spline. The RF BB has more thread insertion in the BB cups though, hence my reccomendation.

try to say that to all the riders at NSMB who hate the Diablo bearings :dead:

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Creak, creeeeaaaak, creeeaak, said the Saint cranks. :)

You cant do wrong with either. Ive just seen all my buddys complain about the Saints creaking and making noise.

Evil plug

Chimp
Dec 12, 2005
Saints are about 1000 times easier to install and make adjustments to, and clean, and everything else you do with cranks, but the Diabolus are minimally stiffer, not enough to justify the annoying crank bolt that requires the hand of god to tighten
:love: GO SAINTS!!!!!!:love:

DHDror

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
Israel
Evil plug said:
Saints are about 1000 times easier to install and make adjustments to, and clean, and everything else you do with cranks, but the Diabolus are minimally stiffer, not enough to justify the annoying crank bolt that requires the hand of god to tighten
:love: GO SAINTS!!!!!!:love:

Actualy , the Saints are much stiffer than the Diabolus.
There was this French magazine that tested the stiffness of a bunch of X-type cranks on a test bench and the results were very interesting.
Shimano did very well with the Saints, XTR and XT.

I'ill try to find that mag , I think I have it somewhere...

J

J5ive

Rik said:
The RF BB has more thread insertion in the BB cups though, hence my reccomendation.
This is true, however the raceface bearings have less space between each ball, so in ****ty conditions they seize quicker as muck fills the smaller space. As udi said...

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
get some fsa gap cranks, they weigh in between the saints and diabolis and are less expensive. they also have 4 bearings instead of just 2.

I think dropnzone.com has a special on them right now.