Quantcast

Saint rear derailer fitting on a standard hanger ?

jungle

Monkey
Jan 11, 2006
Has anyone been able to fit a Saint rear derailer on a standard hanger ?

The saint rear derailer is a rear axle mounted derailer, but after studying
the exploded view of a Saint rear derailer as well as having the axle mounting
it has it's own inbuilt hanger part no 5
click on link for exploded view

http://www.shimano.com.au/publish/content/australia/en/cycling/customer_support/service_diagrams/2004_mountain_sd.MainContentPar.0028.Schematic.0005.File.tmp/rd_m800_ev.pdf

if say you removed parts 5, 6, 7 & 8,
would you be able to screw the derailer onto a standard hanger instead of onto part no 5 and would it by chance work ?

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
jungle said:
Has anyone been able to fit a Saint rear derailer on a standard hanger ?

The saint rear derailer is a rear axle mounted derailer, but after studying
the exploded view of a Saint rear derailer as well as having the axle mounting
it has it's own inbuilt hanger part no 5
click on link for exploded view

http://www.shimano.com.au/publish/content/australia/en/cycling/customer_support/service_diagrams/2004_mountain_sd.MainContentPar.0028.Schematic.0005.File.tmp/rd_m800_ev.pdf

if say you removed parts 5, 6, 7 & 8,
would you be able to screw the derailer onto a standard hanger instead of onto part no 5 and would it by chance work ?
I can't see how it would work on a regular hanger. Part 5 resembles a hanger, but is used to switch the derailleur between vertical and horizontal dropouts. The thread pitch and diameter of the bolt that runs through the derailleur into part 5 is not the same as a standard hanger bolt.

jungle

Monkey
Jan 11, 2006
Part no 5 would be replaced by your hanger on your frame, so the B tension screw would rest on your hanger.
Provided the bolt is the same size as the threaded bolt hole on your hanger
I can't see why it wouldn't work,

Do you know for sure that the bolt is not the same size
as a standard hanger bolt, as it doesn't give the size
anywhere, so i'm just guessing that it possibly could be the same size and if it is it could work maybe.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
jungle said:
Provided the bolt is the same size as the threaded bolt hole on your hanger
I can't see why it wouldn't work,
That is the point I was trying to convey. It is not the same size, it is smaller.

jungle

Monkey
Jan 11, 2006
Many thanks

I was looking at running saint cranks,
saint brakes, saint shifter and was just thinking it would be a nice touch to be able to run a Saint rear mech instead of a XT rear mech and just been toying around with it.

I think I have seen one fitted on a standard hanger somewhere once before
but can't seem to be able to find where i saw it again

oh well back to the drawing board

cheers

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I wanted a Saint derailure for a while, but there is just to much screwing around, stick with the standard that the rest of the world is running...

When is shimano going to learn. If they made the saint with a regular bolt in mount, it would be a huge success...

dhpimp

Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
MILFS BEDROOM
manhattanprjkt83 said:
When is shimano going to learn. If they made the saint with a regular bolt in mount, it would be a huge success...
That would be completely pointless. The whole reason for Saint is to elimate the derailleur hanger. The strength in the Saint derailleur is in the fact that it is mounted to the hub axle. I've been running one since day 1 and it's flawless. At least in 07' they will have a regular spring version.

As for trying to mount it to a derailleur hanger - i've tried to do the conversion and it doesn't work :dead:

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
buildyourown said:
What is the advantage of running a Saint der other than not having to rely on a flimsy hanger.
Seems pointless to me. And heavier
Agreed, there's no benefit in running a Saint der apart from eliminating the hanger. If you take that away from it, all it is is a heavy, overbuilt (and high end) derailleur. If you want to use a normal hanger you'd be much better off running XTR and saving the weight. They seem to be plenty durable anyway IMO, i've thrashed on them for years and have always passed it on to someone else - yet to break one.

Tarpon

Monkey
Jun 23, 2004
North Bend, WA
Yes, you can adapt the Saint to a normal dropout. You need to have a new B-axle made that is around 0.100" longer than standard. Drawbacks to doing this are cost and you also lose access to the smallest cog on the cassette. I run one this way because I already had the derailleur and the dropouts on the frame won't work with the Saint axle.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
dhpimp said:
That would be completely pointless. The whole reason for Saint is to elimate the derailleur hanger. The strength in the Saint derailleur is in the fact that it is mounted to the hub axle. I've been running one since day 1 and it's flawless. At least in 07' they will have a regular spring version.

As for trying to mount it to a derailleur hanger - i've tried to do the conversion and it doesn't work :dead:
The whole system is stupid, and needs to many integrated parts to make it work. Shimano needs to stop pushing products on us so we can test them. They used to be awesome, now they need to get it together.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
manhattanprjkt83 said:
The whole system is stupid, and needs to many integrated parts to make it work. Shimano needs to stop pushing products on us so we can test them. They used to be awesome, now they need to get it together.
Okay, tell me how this is stupid. I have a Hadley rear hub (with a 10mm hollow axle) and a Saint rear derailleur. The through-bolt that holds the derailleur to the frame is much stiffer than a qr and stiffer than the alloy bolt that comes with the Hadley. You can knock the crap out of the derailleur and it doesn't flinch, not to mention that the shifting doesn't go to hell when the hanger gets bent. Sure it's a little heavy, but it is solid, reliable, and bombproof. Doesn't sound stupid at all to me.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
It baffles me why saint only comes is 10mmx135 OR 12x150mm? They should have had a 12mm version when it came out because most DH/FR wheelsets used a 12mm, not a 10mm. That's what's always drived me nuts about Saint stuff.

My bike doesn't have a replaceable hanger. If I toast it the Saint direction is the only way I can go.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
manhattanprjkt83 said:
its not stupid at all. whats stupid about saint derailleurs is that they are rapid rise. once they make a regular version i will probably be all over that. or maybe sram will make something similar that can be adapted to many different rear wheels.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
gnurider1080 said:
its not stupid at all. whats stupid about saint derailleurs is that they are rapid rise. once they make a regular version i will probably be all over that. or maybe sram will make something similar that can be adapted to many different rear wheels.

:rolleyes:

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
If you don't like it, don't use it but the point is that it's stiffer than usual and you don't have to worry about bent hangers. Obviously you've gotta use a Saint hub but still, they make regular derailleurs if you don't want to do that. More options = better, not stupid.

Eurotrash

Monkey
Mar 2, 2002
I broke the mech hanger on my M1 and have a saint mech with a problem solvers axle. I did this a while ago and they didn't have the 12MM version.
Now they make a 12mm compatible saint rear mech as well so it should be easy to find/make an axle to fit

dhpimp

Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
MILFS BEDROOM
Bicyclist said:
Really? I thought it had to be Saint, at least for 135mm hubs?
Nope. Saint isn't hub specific. As long as you have a 135x10 or 150x12 you can use a Saint Rear D.

I took an XT hub and replaced the axle with a Hone axle and used a Saint rear D on it - works great!

manhattanprjkt83 said:
How is the system stupid? The only 'integrated' parts you need are the hub and derailleur - and on top of that the only Shimano part you need is the Derailleur. Please explain how they are "pushing" the system on you? :rolleyes:

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Bicyclist said:
Really? I thought it had to be Saint, at least for 135mm hubs?
Bicyclist is right........when Saint came out the only option you had was Saint. Plus Shimano made you use their hub, and Saint hubs were only centerlock. So you got screwed a couple of ways.

Thank GOD though that other companies stepped up and made hubs that were normal, just using a Saint style axle. I really don't like using "problem slovers" things on parts that should just be designed right from day 1.

But with that said, now that there is 12mm and 10mm Saint rear derailuers there's nothing to complain or worry about. If my hanger ever gets toasted I only have that option.