Quantcast

Saint RD on a demo 9 possible???

bushrider

Monkey
Jul 4, 2006
NYC
Is it possible to run the Saint RD M805 or M800 on a demo9?
I'm thinking its not possible due to the thickness of the dropout pushing the derailer out too far from the cassette.

Anyone???

bushrider

Monkey
Jul 4, 2006
NYC
"think the question is: why do you want to run a saint dérailleur?"

Are you trying to derail my thread buddy?

I am running a Saint RD on 2 of my bikes allready.
Since I started running them I have had zero derailleur issues.
Previously I was killing an average of one XTR RD every 3 months.

I picked up a Saint RD m805 cheap and want to run it on my demo9 (m805 = 150 X 12mm compatible, m800 = 135 X 10mm)

Now that I'm used to rapid rise I actually prefer it.
It shifts more accurately and puts less wear on the drive train.

Now back to my question please !!!

bushrider

Monkey
Jul 4, 2006
NYC
"Nope, won't work on a Demo 9"

Why not?
Whats the specific issue?

"wait, wait, let me guess.... you've never actually *ridden* a normal-rise saint derailleur"

I have not ridden a normal rise saint RD.
I have no interest in doing so, there are zero advantages over RR when using an 07 XTR shifter as I can shift 2 gears easier with one pull on the trigger. The only advantage would be if I was not used to RR which I am.

All you Rapid Rise and Saint Haters, have you actually spent a decent amount of time on a RR RD or Saint RD?
If you havent taken the time to adjust to RR how can you say its inferior?

bushrider

Monkey
Jul 4, 2006
NYC
What about dremeling the the saint derailer, making a custom axle and possibly using a nut on the end of the axle rather than the threads in the saint to secure the derailler to the axle.

From what I can tell there is nothing very special about the demo9's axle. Its just a little longer than the average 150 X 12mm axle.

I dont mind modding the saint RD.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Okay, speaking from experience (I had a Demo 9 and also own Saint derailleurs), I said it wouldn't work. I am a mechanic with many, many years of experience. When I say something will not work, I do not mean to imply that it can't be jerry-rigged in a half-assed fashion to work. I mean that it is not designed to work together and that there is not a practical way to make it work. What you are suggesting is impractical and will marginalize the performance of the derailleur.

bushrider

Monkey
Jul 4, 2006
NYC
"What you are suggesting is impractical and will marginalize the performance of the derailleur."

I've pretty much given up on the idea for this reason.

Thanks for all the help.