Quantcast

Saint derailleur on a 303?

Dirtbike

Monkey
Mar 21, 2005
eastbay
I was thinking of getting a new Saint derailleur (Top Normal) and a SRAM Attack shifter with the problem solvers axle as a Northstar setup.

Will it work on a 303?

Ricky Bobby

Chimp
Jun 3, 2007
then youl have to run center lock rotors if you get the hubs, and then thats a pain. Thats the only reason i didnt on my 303. I wanted options

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
and rickey bobby owns up to his screen name. he never said he was/had to/ or was going to run the siant hub hence the special axle.
i dont see why it could not be done, as long as the axle is the correct length and whatnot you should be golden

Dirtbike

Monkey
Mar 21, 2005
eastbay
then youl have to run center lock rotors if you get the hubs, and then thats a pain. Thats the only reason i didnt on my 303. I wanted options
This is why I plan on using the Problem Solvers Saint axle. Otherwise, the only reason you would need the hub is because of the axle it comes with, right?

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
If the dropout is much thicker than a standard qr dropout, then it most likely will not work. This is actually quite common on DH bikes with thru axles. The dropout pushes the der too far out and it cannot reach the cassette properly.

Just looked at the yeti site for a pic...I am going to say no-go. The der will be way to far outboard to work.

Dirtbike

Monkey
Mar 21, 2005
eastbay
If the dropout is much thicker than a standard qr dropout, then it most likely will not work. This is actually quite common on DH bikes with thru axles. The dropout pushes the der too far out and it cannot reach the cassette properly.

Just looked at the yeti site for a pic...I am going to say no-go. The der will be way to far outboard to work.
This is what is tricky.. what 150mm bikes are compatible with saint derailleurs? Only a QR style 150 bike like a VP Free? Alot of bikes like the v10 and Sunday are out because of proprietary axles.. maybe thats why Saint never sold too well.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
This is what is tricky.. what 150mm bikes are compatible with saint derailleurs? Only a QR style 150 bike like a VP Free? Alot of bikes like the v10 and Sunday are out because of proprietary axles.. maybe thats why Saint never sold too well.
Correct. Intense, Iron Horse 7 and 6 Point, Giant Faith, VP Free, Turner Highline and new DHR...probably some others out there too. But like you said, lots of 150mm bikes use a proprietary axle design and it will not work on those.

Dirtbike

Monkey
Mar 21, 2005
eastbay
mine as well get the x.0 if i had a 303 id want everything to be top product
Not so much fun when it only lasts a run or two down northstar till its time to use wrenches and screwdrivers to pry it back into shape. I was hoping saint would work as a northstar only setup, and throw x9 back on for local riding.

Not so much fun when it only lasts a run or two down northstar till its time to use wrenches and screwdrivers to pry it back into shape. I was hoping saint would work as a northstar only setup, and throw x9 back on for local riding.
then you would be changing shifters and der cables each time as well....might as well stick with sram or with shimano, cause switching back and forth would be a bitch