Quantcast

Saint Cranks. Anything as strong but lighter?

Dec 11, 2007
Lawn Dart Training Center
185lb rider, 200 with full gear. I have yet to break a set of pedals, even ti spindled wellgo mg1's. But I am constantly wrecking crank arms. Went the light route. Bent Gravity lights, Stylo's and XT cranks. I am currently running 165mm Saints on my Demo 8. Great cranks, already look like hell, but strait as when new.
Are there any cranks that do not weigh as much that would hold up? Or should I just rock em, literally, until they fail and get the new 08 Saints.

BTW anybody have a weight on the new ones yet?

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
why not holzzefellers? Ive never had a problem. I dont know weights though.
THe OCT arms are quite light......

BUT unfortunately,

the BB is a F'n tank resulting in a system that is the same weight as Saint. You also get a more complicated less relaible interface, lack the ability to replace just bb 'cups' cheaply adn get no steel pedal insert.

If they could just put those arms on a shimano BB/spindle they could have a good 'light weight' DH crankset.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
THe OCT arms are quite light......

BUT unfortunately,

the BB is a F'n tank resulting in a system that is the same weight as Saint. You also get a more complicated less relaible interface, lack the ability to replace just bb 'cups' cheaply adn get no steel pedal insert.

If they could just put those arms on a shimano BB/spindle they could have a good 'light weight' DH crankset.
You can always order the xr15 BB for those as well, which is lighter than the standard 12mm system.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Not for the target market of that crank....DH. The XR is only available for 68/73mm bb and there are litteraly zero 73mm bb DH rigs any more (Turner DHR is the last that I can think of and they changed last year)....

They are almost there on a lot of their (SRAM) products. Some great tech, yet some lack/overthought... Why in the he!! are they sticking with their own goofy half-ISIS bastard BB when externals are simple, cheap, durable, standardized, and available to anyone??

I have a buddy with a set of Nior C/F cranks. If you tighten the crank arm fixing bolts, the crank arm itself bottoms on the bearing assembly....so you have to choose between tight arms, or a bb that turns. Cant have both....Brialiant!

Yet the same Co produces the Boxxer W/C....the simplist, most durable, best action air spring cartrage to date in the MTB world....and arguably the best Rear der in the Biz....set a new standard in shifter fuctionality..etc.

Jonny5

Monkey
Feb 13, 2007
something is up with that nior setup ^

And his demo is still 73mm, and despite what they say 73 still works fine with a 150mm hub- ask many socom or norco owners.

You could go hones (or the new sxt just about to come out), or middleburns with a decent skf bb.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Get the Truvativ OCT Holz Arms and put in some light fsa or hope BB (hope makes 105g one dunno about fsa) and you will loose a lot. They will hold. Seen a lot of very heavy guys on them and they were happy with them.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
I actually quite like there setup, of coarse the BB is heavy. Forgot about the XR15 only being for 68/73. But I can answer as to why they use it, this is straight from there sales rep...."SO you can but the same set of cranks on different bike, no matter what shell it has on the bike, just use them with the proper spindle and your good to go."

I love mine, I have no issues with them, also I am kinda big, so no OCT's for me, I went with the Hussefelts. Total weight for the BB and cranks is in about 1000grams. I am not worried about the BB weight though, i need strong. I am not sure why your friends would bottom on the BB cup like that and be overly tight, But I know mine was simple to setup, and I haven had any problems since.

Not for the target market of that crank....DH. The XR is only available for 68/73mm bb and there are litteraly zero 73mm bb DH rigs any more (Turner DHR is the last that I can think of and they changed last year)....

They are almost there on a lot of their (SRAM) products. Some great tech, yet some lack/overthought... Why in the he!! are they sticking with their own goofy half-ISIS bastard BB when externals are simple, cheap, durable, standardized, and available to anyone??

I have a buddy with a set of Nior C/F cranks. If you tighten the crank arm fixing bolts, the crank arm itself bottoms on the bearing assembly....so you have to choose between tight arms, or a bb that turns. Cant have both....Brialiant!

Yet the same Co produces the Boxxer W/C....the simplist, most durable, best action air spring cartrage to date in the MTB world....and arguably the best Rear der in the Biz....set a new standard in shifter fuctionality..etc.

Not if he gets the old style. There are still a few sets around

they only work with their own boat anchor of a bb

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
RaceFace Atlas FR?

Quite a few peeps and pros run them on their DH bikes (I'm pretty sure Peaty does now too), and Bearclaw was running the lighter AM version on his slopestyle rig.

I picked up the AM ones of a friend and they feel stiff while being super light.

Might be worth a look.

Dec 11, 2007
Lawn Dart Training Center
RaceFace Atlas FR?

Quite a few peeps and pros run them on their DH bikes (I'm pretty sure Peaty does now too), and Bearclaw was running the lighter AM version on his slopestyle rig.

I picked up the AM ones of a friend and they feel stiff while being super light.

Might be worth a look.
I havent tried any Race Face products. Do they have all those strange plastic spacers to keep the BB tight? I have seen the BB get loose on friends bikes.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
The bb works just like a shimano bb. in fact, I'm running a shimano bb with them now.
Except the lack of pich bolts at the interface on the spindle, and thats huge. The press fit Race Face will deform over time and chonically loosen, which sucks.

Basically cranks are Shimano's best product. Yes Saints aren't light as some, but if you are a "plow rider" or someone who just wants a worry free setup there really isn't a lighter choice.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
Except the lack of pich bolts at the interface on the spindle, and thats huge. The press fit Race Face will deform over time and chonically loosen, which sucks.
How often do you remove your cranks?

While it's true that hypothetically they will deform over an untested and unknown time, they last more than long enough to do the job. A lifetime warranty backs 'em up. I have a set of RF Shores that have been on and off two battered DH bikes several times a season, for 4 years with zero play as do hundreds of others, so perhaps we shouldn’t compare these cranks to say, a pair of Hussis. Once installed, there is no diference other than the fact that the RF spline interface is fewer but larger teeth, and the shimano is more smaller teeth. Also, a slide fit is vastly different than an interference fit in it's effect so the entire point is moot, and nothing more than shop talk imo.

Last edited:

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
though yes, the atlas cranks take a bit more work to install / remove, they have been flawless for me (season 3 on mine). great weight to strength ratio.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
How often do you remove your cranks?

While it's true that hypothetically they will deform over an untested and unknown time, they last more than long enough to do the job. A lifetime warranty backs 'em up. I have a set of RF Shores that have been on and off two battered DH bikes several times a season, for 4 years with zero play as do hundreds of others, so perhaps we shouldn’t compare these cranks to say, a pair of Hussis. Once installed, there is no diference other than the fact that the RF spline interface is fewer but larger teeth, and the shimano is more smaller teeth. Also, a slide fit is vastly different than an interference fit (which both are not) in it's effect so the entire point is moot, and nothing more than shop talk imo.
Cranks get pulled often, to check suspension bolts, to clean out crud, replace worn out rings and of course playing with chainguide alignment. The number and size if splines is irelevant if it depends on tight tolerances to fit correctly and every re-installation is knocking away at that. Now once installed and under ideal cicumstances they are comparable, but under real world grit and maintenance cycles I have to disagree. I've seen a wasted pair of Dues XC's and Diabolous due to this press fit sh*t in under a season. Thats great that they have a lifetime warranty, they need it.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Cranks get pulled often, to check suspension bolts, to clean out crud, replace worn out rings and of course playing with chainguide alignment. The number and size if splines is irelevant if it depends on tight tolerances to fit correctly and every re-installation is knocking away at that. Now once installed and under ideal cicumstances they are comparable, but under real world grit and maintenance cycles I have to disagree. I've seen a wasted pair of Dues XC's and Diabolous due to this press fit sh*t in under a season. Thats great that they have a lifetime warranty, they need it.
Lol. I don't think I've pulled off my saints it 2 years. then again I just take off the chainrings to get at the suspension bolts.
p.s. I'm leaving for SB tomorrow, so we'll have to ride next week.