Quantcast

Saint crank ?

mike67

Monkey
Nov 15, 2001
California
I'm looking at buying the saint single ring DH crank, and was wondering - Is it drilled for a granny gear even though it comes as a single ring? I may want to set it up with a DRS in the future. I have looked at the saint double crank, but most of them on clearance have 175mm arms, I would prefer 170mm.

Here's the pic that made me think that maybe they are all drilled for a granny, and are just packaged differently? Anyone know?

Attachments

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
What is going on with the saint cranks???
They all went on sale (wholesale & retail). Now they are getting hard to find, especially in 165mm. Is there a new version comming? I have not heard anything...

Anybody know anything?

mike67

Monkey
Nov 15, 2001
California
Can you guys confirm that the Saint single ring DH crank is drilled for a granny ring???

and...what chain rings are included with the double w/bash? How many teeth?

maybe I should just call :clue:

mike67

Monkey
Nov 15, 2001
California
Thanks for the pics. The first go-ride picture shows the holes alright, just like the pic I put up in my first post. I was just curious if the holes were actually threaded for chain ring bolts, being that it is sold as a single chainring DH crank (every DH crank that I have owned has not been threaded for a granny). I just need to make sure that if I end up buying the DH crank, that I could use it in the future with a DRS 2 ring set up. Again - the only reason I'm looking at the DH crank: they are cheaper than the double, and they are available in 170mm.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Jesus dude, how many times do people have to say it?
Here i'll clarify (yet again).

ALL saint cranksets designed for the 68/73mm BB (ie. all cranksets except the 83mm version) are identical, regardless of whether they have a single ring, double ring and bash, or triple ring. It wouldn't be cost effective to do it any other way. So yes, they all have the holes, and yes they all are threaded. The 83mm version is also threaded for a granny ring.

So in conclusion, all Saint cranks will accept a granny ring. But you better ask again, just to make sure...

RD

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Boston, MA
you'll have to remove the granny ring bosses if you want to run the cranks with an SRS guide as well as most other guides. You will not be able to run a granny ring in the future.

I suppose you could lathe or mill away the granny bosses (removing them all to the exact same plane) and use chainring spacers later on if so inclined, but that would be a ton of work.

carbuncle

Monkey
Dec 2, 2004
Edmonds, WA
First, it is 32-22+cheesy K-mart worthy plastic bash guard on the doubles. Second, it is true about the granny bosses and the SRS. I just had to do that with a hand file, which almost made it work. Then I realized that if I just took the washer between the boomerang and the e-type BB mount out I would get the right clearance, so I did that and it worked. In retrospect, had I tried that first I probably would have been able to avoid the whole 45 minutes of cursing and hand filing episode, but no one has ever accused me of being the brightest bulb in the chandelier... What happens is, the granny ring bosses rub against the boomerang when you tighten up the left crank. Not a little either, but deal-breaker-hard against the boomerang.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I have a LG-1 and SRS set-up on two different bikes with Saint cranks (M800 and M805). I didn't have to grind the granny tabs on either one and the guides are set-up properly. I just takes some trial and error to get the spacing perfect.

RD

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Boston, MA
I have a LG-1 and SRS set-up on two different bikes with Saint cranks (M800 and M805). I didn't have to grind the granny tabs on either one and the guides are set-up properly. I just takes some trial and error to get the spacing perfect.

I'd like to see your set-ups. What chainrings are you running? Do you have pictures available?

Evil plug

Chimp
Dec 12, 2005
i also use a Saint on my DNA- 73mm bb spacing, and an STS, with no milling or other desecration of my granny holes.
With an E13 36t guidering,if that makes a difference. Ill try to remember to take pics sometime.