Quantcast

Rural monkies... I have a propane tank question

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Beech Mtn Definitely NOT Boulder
I think the meter on our propane tank may be broken. From what I can tell it hasn't moved in the 4 months we've lived here. I think it's a 250 gal tank and meter has read ~34 (what are the units?) as long as we've been here. The only gas appliances we have hooked up to it are a range that gets daily use and a backup heater which has maybe had 5 hours use total.

BTW it is a rental house, so I guess if the propane runs out because the gauge is stuck they get to foot the bill for the repairs. But that also means we could probably get them to foot the bill to have the gauge checked too...

I don't know anything about propane or propane accessories (heh heh..) because all the houses I've lived in before had city gas lines.

Last edited:

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Beech Mtn Definitely NOT Boulder
That makes sense. I'll try that in the morning. Thanks!

I think it might be okay though. Our grill gets pretty much daily use also and we've only been through a little over one of the 20lb cylinders in 4 months. I doubt the range uses as much gas and the heater probably uses about the same.

dosgearos

Chimp
Jun 26, 2007
Our tank (also a 250) was at ~70% when we moved in a year ago. It's at ~30% now. We have two water heaters, an oven, a range (very regular use), and two wall heaters all burning propane. If all you're running regularly is the range, I doubt you'd see the needle move after ~4 months. But yeah, give it some taps.

sneakysnake

Monkey
Apr 2, 2006
NC
The tank at the last house I lived in also had a gauge that wasn't working. Had the gas company come back to check everything because it wasn't working. Technician confirmed that the plunger in the tank had rusted into one location.

So it might not even be your gauge, but the plunger in the tank. Which you'll have to live with without getting a new tank.