Quantcast

Romic shock issues revisted

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Since my other Romic shock is leaking from the compression knob, what do you think Romic would do with it if I sent it to them??? I'm assuming it's from the batch that had the badly machined internals or whatever you want to call it.

I have a back up shock but it's not exactly the right size for my bike but at least it's a backup.

JeffD

Monkey
Mar 23, 2002
Macon, GA
Sounds like every shock made in 03-04 is part of this "batch".

Sorry, no firm suggestions for you but call them - I'd assume it's a warranty-covered issue.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Now that i have some more inside leads, it seems that romics dyno-equipment is crap, or not even half of what the other big companies (fox, etc) use. This is one of the biggest problems evidently and leads to the other problems that we are aware of.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
Jm_ said:
Now that i have some more inside leads, it seems that romics dyno-equipment is crap, or not even half of what the other big companies (fox, etc) use. This is one of the biggest problems evidently and leads to the other problems that we are aware of.

huh?

so your sources mean incorrect mapping of forces leads to poor machining tolerances like the adjuster thing?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
vitox said:
huh?

so your sources mean incorrect mapping of forces leads to poor machining tolerances like the adjuster thing?
inadaquate testing, which makes inadaquate machining and fabrication impossible to detect.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
Jm_ said:
inadaquate testing, which makes inadaquate machining and fabrication impossible to detect.

put that way it makes sense but when you include the dyno and taking into account that the eyelet/adjuster thing was because of poor machining and nothing to do with hydraulics at all then it makes no sense.

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
ChrisRobin said:
I have a back up shock but it's not exactly the right size for my bike but at least it's a backup.
lol.

****ty deal chris.

That reminds me i gotta call progressive as well.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
vitox said:
put that way it makes sense but when you include the dyno and taking into account that the eyelet/adjuster thing was because of poor machining and nothing to do with hydraulics at all then it makes no sense.
well the adjuster perhaps was not leaking under their tests (assuming they test random shocks from each batch), but those tests didnt reflect real life. But seeing how the eyelets were messed, perhaps they dont have very good quality control procedures either.

excuse my speculations.

remember back in the day when people used to incessantly gripe about their Vanillas?

Slacker

Monkey
Jul 24, 2002
Los Angeles
ChrisRobin said:
Since my other Romic shock is leaking from the compression knob, what do you think Romic would do with it if I sent it to them??? I'm assuming it's from the batch that had the badly machined internals or whatever you want to call it.

There's no telling what they'll do because mine is leaking too. And this is after they already "fixed" it.

Call them, get an RMA number and pray. Then call Avalanche and order a real shock :mumble:

(sorry, I'm just really pissed off right now)

Slacker

Monkey
Jul 24, 2002
Los Angeles
Jm_ said:
I have a question. If you take the shock off the bike and remove the spring, shouldn't you be able to compress the shaft?

I ask because both times mine blew up, you could not compress that shock when it was off the bike. This was just before Kaboom.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Slacker said:
I have a question. If you take the shock off the bike and remove the spring, shouldn't you be able to compress the shaft?

I ask because both times mine blew up, you could not compress that shock when it was off the bike. This was just before Kaboom.
yes and no, you should be able to, but increased low speed compression damping may make it "harder", still you should be able to, if anything by putting your weight on it.

If not, it may be misaligned or your piston may be dragging, the piston drag was a problem that did mine in one of the times.

To sum it up, yes, you should be able to, but it will be harder to do than say a fox.

Slacker

Monkey
Jul 24, 2002
Los Angeles
Jm_ said:
yes and no, you should be able to, but increased low speed compression damping may make it "harder", still you should be able to, if anything by putting your weight on it.

If not, it may be misaligned or your piston may be dragging, the piston drag was a problem that did mine in one of the times.

To sum it up, yes, you should be able to, but it will be harder to do than say a fox.
Yeah, I thought something wasn't right. Compression was set mid-way and I had most of my weight (185 lbs) on it; It wasn't budging.

Know I remember doing this same thing after the first rebuild, and it compressed fairly easy. Rode it a couple times, then I pulled it off to swap springs. This is when I noticed it wasn't budging off the bike. I think you may be on to something about misalligned piston/shaft thing,

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Slacker said:
Yeah, I thought something wasn't right. Compression was set mid-way and I had most of my weight (185 lbs) on it; It wasn't budging.
woah....yeah, that's not right at all...

Smelly

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
out yonder, round bout a hootinany
on a side note, after blowing mine out earlier this season (for the second time in less than a year), i'd just like to say that mine's been feeling pretty good lately. seems to be temermental though. some days it'll feel awful, some days it'll feel good. but for the past couple weeks it's been pretty good.

but after doing some real quick demos on an avalanche...oooo yummy yummy. i want one of them.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
because of its design the romic has more parts that potentially could cause drag and also lock up the shock if a failure should occur, but with all your weight on it you should be able to move it

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Hmmm...

If there's something that isn't machined right, how can they just 'fix' or 'rebuild' it?? Unless it's a badly machined part that can be replaced...FREE hopefully. :)

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
All these leakage problems occur at an o ring seal right? Seems to me that if they're not getting good results even with in tolerance parts then maybe the nominal dimensions are out of whack, or maybe the tolerances are, shall we say, arbitrary. Seriously if I were romic and I saw shocks blowing up day after day because of an o ring I'd seriously consider redesigning the seal to use something other than an o ring.