Quantcast

rocky mountain bikes

Jesus

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
Louisville, KY
Older models had a lot of issues(i.e. high shock leverage, dogbone link, etc...). Don't know if the new design fixed the problems, but they sure do look nice.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
Jesus said:
Older models had a lot of issues(i.e. high shock leverage, dogbone link, etc...). Don't know if the new design fixed the problems, but they sure do look nice.
the newer ones (like the RMX) seem to have reduced the leverage of the shock to normal levels and feature much burlier bearings and linkages. Havent heard anyone complaining, of course i dont know how popular RMs are these days.

Mattoid

Monkey
Aug 3, 2003
Charlottesville, Virginia
I really like my old rm6. The geometry was amazing and it pedaled rather well. Mine always shot through its travel. If i rode it the way i ride now it wouldnt last long at all. If your doing trail and not-so-crazy dh it should hold up very well. Make sure you run a heavy enough spring so it doenst bottom to much. I have owned 3 rockys and have been satisifed with them for the most part. The weld quality is very nice but some of the desings were poor. The Flow that I owned was a pile a poo (see: sheared headtube) overall rocky's are to expensive for the product... i do drool all over the new RMXs though... MMMMmmm

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Dont know much about the older RM6's, but I did have a friend with an RM7 that he just upgraded to an RMX. I also have a friend on a Switch, and a friend on a Flow. I'm looking at getting an RMX by next year.

Overall, I think that the quality of Rocky Mountain bikes are excellent. There were a few shock leverage problems, but my buddy with the RM7 never had a problem with it. He did case a big gap and kinda screw up the swingarm, but they replaced that. I just rode his RMX last weekend, and wow do I want one!

scofflaw23

Monkey
Mar 13, 2002
Raleigh
I am pretty much set on getting a RM Switch Pro...I rode it today for the first time, and damn is it awesome. For a decent sized bike (probably around 40lbs.), it is way maneuverable and I can actually hop it higher than my 4" travel kona. The only thing that really worries me is the 6 month warranty on their freeride/dh frames...