Quantcast

Road cassettes & derailers for DH ?

jungle

Monkey
Jan 11, 2006
Are the Durace derailers & cassettes much better than an Ultegra derailers & cassettes in regards to their performance
or is it mainly to do with cutting down weight ?

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
for road yes there is a little bit of performance upgrade but mainly its a weight issue with roadie nerds. i myself am running a 105 rear derrailure and well love it to death. its the most underestemated part on my rig and has held up to all the abuse i have put it threw. i absolutly love this thing and well has went threw an entire windrock sesion withought exploading on me. so i say 105 but if you want to drop the doe on the ultegra and dura ace stuff be my guest it should do you fine.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
I run 105 stuff and it works fine. It's not bad for the price!

Some of the higher end road stuff is great but if it gets smashed or broke it's going to cost more to replace. Just keep that in mind.

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
dura ace will perform better. It's stiffer, and has a better return spring which in turn will provide a more crisp shift. as for the cassette, there won't be much difference other than weight, but you might notice a difference with the derailluer... Might being the key word. Honestly I'd save the money and just get the ultegra. I'd definitly choose it over the 105, but I don't think it's quite worth the extra cash. especially if you break derailluers.

John M

Chimp
Mar 17, 2005
S/E Mich (pancake)
XO Short cage is the way to go. They shift just as snappy as any road derailer will. Plus try to find someone with a "extra" road derailer at a race when you crash and break yours. - JM

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
The DuraAces are uber cheap here, so I've stocked up. Best shifting I've felt, asides from the oldschool Airlines.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
zahgurim said:
The DuraAces are uber cheap here, so I've stocked up. Best shifting I've felt, asides from the oldschool Airlines.
how are dura aces "uber cheap" :confused:...

It was cool to go with the $$$ road derailure because we didnt really have killer short cage mtn derailures...Now that we have something like the x.0 shortcage i dont see why you would go with sh1tmano...

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
I used to work in a shop that specialized in road bikes, and our general opinion was that between the 105 and Ultegra groupos there was not only a weight difference but a performance difference as well. Ultegra and Dura Ace worked about equally as well, but Dura Ace was a bit lighter.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Bicyclist said:
Go for a 105 derailleur and a Dura-ace cassette. Save weight where it matters.
I use a 105 short cage derail, and an Ultegra cassette. I'm using an XT shifter and everything works fine. Hell the 105 worked fine with a 11-32 in all gears!

I know that Sram offers a XO short cage but you can probably buy 5 105's for the price of the XO short cage. I'm sure there is a noticeable shifting difference but for us normal guys on budgets that's a waste. I have XT on 2 bikes and a 105 on one and I truthfully can't tell a major difference to justify spending more. It's just not worth it.

If I broke an XO I'd cry, a 105 I'd just replace :mumble:

dhpimp

Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
MILFS BEDROOM
jungle said:
Are the Durace derailers & cassettes much better than an Ultegra derailers & cassettes in regards to their performance
or is it mainly to do with cutting down weight ?
here are the differences and you can judge what matters more to you..

Derailleurs:
DuraAce = cold forged Duralumin (super strong) with sealed bearing pulleys
Ultegra - forged 7000 series aluminum with only 1 sealed bearing.

Cassettes:
Dura Ace = Titanium upper cogs (means don't wear as fast) and steel/aluminum lower
Ultegra = steel/aluminum throughout

get a cheaper cassette and a better rear d.. If you really want to notice a change in your shifting, upgrade your shifter where the change is actually more noticeable.

JohnnyBoyDH

Monkey
Aug 6, 2003
Burlington, Ontario, Canada
dhpimp said:
here are the differences and you can judge what matters more to you..

Derailleurs:
DuraAce = cold forged Duralumin (super strong) with sealed bearing pulleys
Ultegra - forged 7000 series aluminum with only 1 sealed bearing.

Cassettes:
Dura Ace = Titanium upper cogs (means don't wear as fast) and steel/aluminum lower
Ultegra = steel/aluminum throughout

get a cheaper cassette and a better rear d.. If you really want to notice a change in your shifting, upgrade your shifter where the change is actually more noticeable.
The the 105 tend to break more than the dura ace because of it not being cold forged. I'd go with the dura ace...actually I'd go with SRAM XO short cage, but if you are going Shimano then DA is worth the extra cash.