resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Taking tanning where it shouldn't go...

Ruining the school girl image......

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
My cousin just went to Japan and said that the whole fad is based on their perceptions of a typical California girl, ie the tanned look. But given fact that the Japanese are experts at taking bits of American popular culture and taking it to the extreme, this isn't surprising. Example my buddy who has ties to Foes says that Japan is their largest market. He says that when he used to work in the snowboard industry it was also very common for a Japanese kid to spend THOUSANDS on maybe 4-5 snowboards a season, yet only ride maybe 10 times tops.

He said its all fake and bake.

bigbodystyle

Chimp
Dec 27, 2005
louisville, kentucky
This reminds me of a girl I know who would go to the tanning bed once a DAY...I'm am not making this up...she has done this for as long as I have known her, about 3 years, and probly started before I ever met her. She looked like a barbie doll that had been soaked in a strong wood stain for a couple of months. This life of extreme tanning came to an abrupt end when she visited a dermatologist who told her that if she didn't stop going to the tanning bed that she would die before the age of 21, she is 18.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
This reminds me of a girl I know who would go to the tanning bed once a DAY...I'm am not making this up...she has done this for as long as I have known her, about 3 years, and probly started before I ever met her. She looked like a barbie doll that had been soaked in a strong wood stain for a couple of months. This life of extreme tanning came to an abrupt end when she visited a dermatologist who told her that if she didn't stop going to the tanning bed that she would die before the age of 21, she is 18.
I have a friend whose mom looks like an old catcher's mit from visiting the tanning bed too much and smoking.