Quantcast

riser bars with the least amount of back-sweep?

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
so while i'm healing from a broken wrist and soft tissue damage i've noticed things seem to feel better when my wrists are at a more neutral position while riding around the neighborhood (no trail riding yet). i know renthal are popular and have less back-sweep than 'standard'. any other brands i should look at in the aluminum, 31.8, ~20mm rise, ~750mm width category?

Katz

Monkey
Jun 8, 2012
Arizona
I've been using Spank's Oozy trail 780 vibrocore since October 2018. 5 x 7-deg bend, same as Renthal. It only comes in either 15mm or 25mm rise, though. No 20mm.

While I'm really not sure how effective the foam filling is, its weight (270 grams for 780mm width) suggests much thinner wall thickness than comparable handlebars. It is noticeably more flexy than other bars I've tried in the past, though not enough to bother me while riding - I do feel slight delay when I preload & yank the front wheel up off the flat ground for bunnyhops, but that's about it.

I haven't had any durability issue but I'm old and I don't ride that hard. May not be suitable if you're a strong rider and/or hit big jumps and stuff.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
According to this review more backsweep is better for wrists?

I ordered a pair since my left wrist is fucked, hopefully I can get stronger and ride again soon.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
According to this review more backsweep is better for wrists?

I ordered a pair since my left wrist is fucked, hopefully I can get stronger and ride again soon.

I had some wrist problems a good decade ago when I thought crashing all the time was fun. More sweep definitely helped. In fact for a while I could only handle the pain while riding some old Titec Hellbents.

Now that my wrists are cool but my thumbs are garbage again more sweep helps tons, especially running bars that are now significantly wider. I ran a set of those SQ lab bars for a while, without them I could not ride. However, lots of sweep requires goofy long stems and still does something weird with the handling. With the hands a little happier I have settled on regular bars and the half-retarded ergon grips.

Holla if you want to try them.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Like everything on a bike, it's a balance in my experience. I've broken most bones in my hands and wrists on both hands at this point, including scaphoids and sometimes lots of sweep works (on long bikes) other times it kills because it forces a weird arm/wrist angle on shorter bikes. There are no universals with kind of stuff in my opinion.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
The Thomson low rise bar is 6/4, and is my most favoritest, but its 12mm rise. The 20mm rise one has more sweep for some reason.

Renthal is the next best thing I've found, at 7/5.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Happy to share (give) those SQ-Labs bars for the cost of shipping to any who may think they could help. Sucks to have to drop dollas to have to try a potentially suboptimal setup.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
According to me, people say dumb shit on bike websites and somehow get paid for it.
I hope to find out. Unfortunately I"ve severly mistreated my left arm and it now requires mega time to recover from these wrecks.

My LBS friend loves backsweep and I mostly ordered the bars to torment him, since I can't ride and they're laying around the shop. If they're just rehab bars that is cool too. @Westy shit we should've had this conversation a month ago.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
say what!!!???

I didn't know that existed. As someone who thinks bike riding is just a series of pushups, I think I need that.

edit: I just looked at their website and have no idea what you're talking about. None of their handlebars list that as a spec. hlp-plz
Ah, fuck, they appear to have discontinued it. Bastards!!!!!!

But yeah, see if you can find the 12mm rise version of the DH bar anywhere. They're awesome. I've got two and you can pry them out of my cold dead hands.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
so while i'm healing from a broken wrist and soft tissue damage i've noticed things seem to feel better when my wrists are at a more neutral position while riding around the neighborhood (no trail riding yet). i know renthal are popular and have less back-sweep than 'standard'. any other brands i should look at in the aluminum, 31.8, ~20mm rise, ~750mm width category?
I'm running a PRO Tharsis 9.8 alloy, 8/4, good 7050 T76 alloy, 800 mm uncut, 20 and 30 mm rise available.