Quantcast

Rims with same ERD as DT6.1D rims

Christiaan

Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
Weesp, The Netherlands
Anyone know if there are rims out there,, that do not dent so quick as the DT rims, with the same ERD so I can use my old spokes? I think Mavic EX823 are close, but I am not sure if that will work, it is about 2mm less I guess on the Mavic rim

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
EX 721's will work.

Also DT has been testing a new rim this year with the Syndicate and Monster guys which last I heard when talking with them last month were due for release to the public in November. Pretty sure they will be the same ERD

Dec 11, 2007
Lawn Dart Training Center
Aren't the threads in the same place on the 16mm nipples as the standard? I think they just have a longer shank for grabbing with the spoke wrench and also makes it so they don't fall all the way into the rim channel. I have twisted a few off muscle F-ing rims back strait and it seemed to be just a threadless extension from a standard nipple.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
re-using spokes is prolly the dumbest thing i've read on here in a while. and thats saying something.
Oh, the irony (nice grammar).

Going by that line of thought, re-tensioning a wheel is equally as dumb. Lot's of people have had success re-lacing rims with no ill effect. It's been discussed before, so no need to rehash this.

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
Oh, the irony (nice grammar).

Going by that line of thought, re-tensioning a wheel is equally as dumb. Lot's of people have had success re-lacing rims with no ill effect. It's been discussed before, so no need to rehash this.
What he said.

Reusing spokes, provided they are not significantly damaged (overshifting or whatnot) is a great idea. If you're replacing the rim with one of the same ERD, you can save yourself the hassle of re-lacing by taping the rims together and simply moving spokes from one to the other.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
I dont think you will get 823s to work. They are about 4mm smaller in diameter than the 721 or the 6.1.

Mavic does not use ERD measurements...they use spoke bed diameter (diameter to the bottom of the spoke head)..so you will find varying 'ERD' measurements the people have calculated for mavic rims.

Your 6.1s are either 534 or 536 depending if they have the eyelet or not.

Mavic 721s have a SBD of 532, and 823s have a SBD of 528. To get an approx ERD, add about 3mm to those measurements to get an approx ERD of 535mm for the 721, and 531mm for the 823.

In the end, your spokes should be about 2mm shorter for the 823 than for the 721s or 6.1s

BTW, nipple length has no beairng on spoke length at all. The spoke should come to the bottom of the screwdriver slot....and that will be the exact same regardless of the lenght of nipple.

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
Alex Supra D (ERD=534.85 mm)<--from Alex's website

DT 6.1 (ERD=535 mm)<--from Universal Cycles