Quantcast

Rim recommendations?

Tweety

Chimp
May 30, 2007
Going to be building a rear wheel for my Bullit on an CK 150 hub, and am wondering what rim recommendation you guys have for ATL area riding. Mostly planning on heavy XC / All Mtn / lite DH, so I want a lighter weight wheelset. Thinking DT Swiss 6.1D or Mavic 823. The web shows the 823 as lighter than the DT Swiss, which is confusing.

Thoughts?

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Disc specific rims do nothing special. Sun Ringle Rhyno Lite XL rims will be perfect for that assignment thanks to the box section profile. Flared out disc specific just flat spot easier.

823 is overkill for a light DH wheelset. 6.1 is a monster and DH abuse ONLY rim. DT 5.1 is too stupid to waste in ATL. Plus if you ever blow a wheel up, you can get a Rhyno Lyte or Rhyno Lite XL at the drop of a hat anywhere & everywhere.

BKQuill

Turbo Monkey
Dec 19, 2004
Rangers Lead the Way
Disc specific rims do nothing special. Sun Ringle Rhyno Lite XL rims will be perfect for that assignment thanks to the box section profile. Flared out disc specific just flat spot easier.

823 is overkill for a light DH wheelset. 6.1 is a monster and DH abuse ONLY rim. DT 5.1 is too stupid to waste in ATL. Plus if you ever blow a wheel up, you can get a Rhyno Lyte or Rhyno Lite XL at the drop of a hat anywhere & everywhere.
:stupid:

mtbman1127

Monkey
Mar 10, 2008
Raleigh, NC
I just ordered a spank rim for my front wheel and will prob get another one for my rear. Also Sun Single Tracks have a good track record and arn't too heavy