Quantcast

Rim question

El Gordo

Monkey
Aug 15, 2007
Vernon, NJ
Hey just had a question, My wife got me some rims for my B-day they are Sun Single Tracks they are Urban Camo anybody run these are they DH worthy or no? I know MTX rims are pretty good not sure about the single track their site sayd for Freeride and DH but I never take there word for it. Just wondering if these things will hold up. Thanks

Patan-DH

Monkey
Jun 9, 2007
Patagonia
Sorry but singletracks are weak rims. They are light, maybe u can use them for a 4x bike.

I would go to the store and try to exchage them for something stronger, like a MTX or mavic 729.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Ive had great luck with single tracks. If they are built up right, they will last. But yeah they are not the strongest, but they work well. my last set lasted about three years before I sold them, and they were still working strong.

freeridefool

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
medford, or
I like my single tracks. They are light. If you make sure to check tension and take care of them they last. I did have a bad landing last year in a rock section on one of my trails and split the rim from eyelet to eyelet for four holes. That was kinda scary.

El Gordo

Monkey
Aug 15, 2007
Vernon, NJ
Just saw the thread tonight.. I have no idea what this guys problem is. I never recived the item I bought from him there was a full investigation done and I got some of my money back not all of it.. Lost $100. That guy posted that **** on the sneak tip, cause he wouldnt help me out at all untill they gave me my money back now all of a sudden he cares... Whatever dudd beleive what you want.....

igz-

Monkey
Nov 30, 2008
Santa Cruz
Not as flashy as some camo painted rims but Supra D's are damn solid and not tooo heavy for how much abuse they'll take...

Mine have been goin strong for 3 years, workin on their 4th now ;]

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Aren't singletracks the same as MTX's 31? If you don't trash your wheels they may survive but they are not the most durable rims.

goodgrief

Monkey
Aug 13, 2008
Innerleithen, Scotland
I like them. yes, they dent fairly easy but they'll get you to the bottom of the hill rather than leave you with a flat tyre. they also make tyre changes a painless experience, something that cant be said for dt or wtb rims

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I like them. yes, they dent fairly easy but they'll get you to the bottom of the hill rather than leave you with a flat tyre. they also make tyre changes a painless experience, something that cant be said for dt or wtb rims
Changing tire on dt hard? Are you kidding me? If nothing changed since I owned 6.1's a 4 year old could push the tire of it with his little finger. Also I prefer a rim where the tire sits hard - no more landing tube only for me sir.

goodgrief

Monkey
Aug 13, 2008
Innerleithen, Scotland
my experience is with 5.1's and since we are talking about slightly lighter than full-on dh rims I thought it more relevent to compare.
I had to remove a wtb timberwolf off a wtb dualduty fr rim last week. it physically wouldn't come off! in the end I managed to get a metal screwdriver type lever under the bead a chop it with cable cutters.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
my experience is with 5.1's and since we are talking about slightly lighter than full-on dh rims I thought it more relevent to compare.
I had to remove a wtb timberwolf off a wtb dualduty fr rim last week. it physically wouldn't come off! in the end I managed to get a metal screwdriver type lever under the bead a chop it with cable cutters.
I would have to agree with you on your statements. Specially with the WTB wheels. We had a guy come in with the Dual duties, and he had a set of 4ply intenses on them..... Asking us to take them off. Made most of us cry

El Gordo

Monkey
Aug 15, 2007
Vernon, NJ
off topic but,

Gordo have you seen this thread about you scamming someone?

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3332714#post3332714
Just so you the mod erased the thread cause that guy was pretty much making up that whole I scammed him deal. I have never scammed anyone dude I just never got that fork I really believe it was stolen I mean I live right next to Diablo with tons of kids on my block either it was taken from my house or it never made it to me. That dude just couldnt understand that but I gave them all my info and let them do an investigation. The guy is pissed cause he says he didnt insure it but when I went to the post office they told me it was insured from the sender so who knows. I just know I didnt get it you know.. Which sucks I feel bad for the guy but he went at it the wrong way that needed to be me and him talking thats it. Now he kind of messed my name up cause guys always beleive the guy whole complains first.. But whatever just wanted to say the mod deleted it for a reason he gave the guy 2 days to come up with proof and the guy couldnt..

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Gordo, take a deap breath and relax a bit........Hesus dude...

'We' were simply trying to point you to that post as it had been up for over a week, several people had made mention of it to you in response to your postings, you were obviously around here and active, and you had not seen it or chose not to respond.

Simple fact is that this is a community, and as such, some of us look out for this kind of stuff. There was obviously something going on and it needed your attention. Thats all!

No one was making a judgment about you!!

El Gordo

Monkey
Aug 15, 2007
Vernon, NJ
Gordo, take a deap breath and relax a bit........Hesus dude...

'We' were simply trying to point you to that post as it had been up for over a week, several people had made mention of it to you in response to your postings, you were obviously around here and active, and you had not seen it or chose not to respond.

Simple fact is that this is a community, and as such, some of us look out for this kind of stuff. There was obviously something going on and it needed your attention. Thats all!

No one was making a judgment about you!!
Nah I am good dude, but if you read that thread that dude was really talking alot of **** and I have been a member for a bit and I never have scammed anyone its not my style. I just never really saw that thread till you guys pointed it out.... But if you see the whole thread before the mod deleted it everyone had made a judgment against me.. So I just wanted to clear it up thats all I am not freaking out about it but my name and reputation means alot to me. And people that I know and have dealt with were questioning me on it so it did do some damage. But its all over dont worry bro i am breathing ok...lol

go-ride.com

Monkey
Oct 23, 2001
Salt Lake City, UT
Hey just had a question, My wife got me some rims for my B-day they are Sun Single Tracks they are Urban Camo anybody run these are they DH worthy or no? I know MTX rims are pretty good not sure about the single track their site sayd for Freeride and DH but I never take there word for it. Just wondering if these things will hold up. Thanks
I've see. some guys have luck with singletracks, but IMO they are plain scary. If you have ever felt and unbuilt ST rim you would know what I'm talking about. Wet noodle.

If you want strength and reasonable weight then the MTX is solid, plus they are available cheap on a few sites. I know we have them for $40 on Go-ride.com.

If you want light and strong then I really like the DT-Swiss 600. I raced them all season and had very good luck. They are 600 gms, but still 25mm wide internal. However they are expensive. About $100 ea.

go-ride.com

Monkey
Oct 23, 2001
Salt Lake City, UT
Changing tire on dt hard? Are you kidding me? If nothing changed since I owned 6.1's a 4 year old could push the tire of it with his little finger. Also I prefer a rim where the tire sits hard - no more landing tube only for me sir.
There's been 3 versions of the 6.1 over the years. The first version was made from soft aluminum and very undersized. Tires went on very easy and sometimes fell off in use. The second version still used the soft aluminum, but they increased the circumference. They increased is so much that getting tires on was very very hard and sometimes you had to cut them off when they wore out. The latest version seems to be made of stiffer aluminum and the size is getting close. They are still tight to install, but at least the tires don't fall off in use.

DH-LOS

Chimp
Oct 3, 2009
I've see. some guys have luck with singletracks, but IMO they are plain scary. If you have ever felt and unbuilt ST rim you would know what I'm talking about. Wet noodle.

If you want strength and reasonable weight then the MTX is solid, plus they are available cheap on a few sites. I know we have them for $40 on Go-ride.com.

If you want light and strong then I really like the DT-Swiss 600. I raced them all season and had very good luck. They are 600 gms, but still 25mm wide internal. However they are expensive. About $100 ea.
I mean basically the singletracks would be my 3rd wheelset and a thrasher set I race with my Mavic 721 laced to Hope Pro II and that combo rocks.. I am sponsored by Azonic so I just got a set of there Outlaw wheels which is my second set in 3 yrs had the first White on White set for a while and just went to there new gold anodized wheels they rock super strong and cheap... So the singletracks were just gonna be a set I laced up to some older style Transition Hubs I had laying around to just thrash with like local crap some suttle stuff around here that require some pedaling.. I cant see them being that bad if they are built well? I mean they are welded and they are 31mm sun ringll advertises them as a DH /FR rim. How bad can they be for what I am looking for..

I understand if your looking for a rim for downhill not the way to go, but since I got them just laying there why not right.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Basically what I am saying, is that a good wheel is made in the build. good parts are nice, but buidling it will make all the difference. Like I said, I got solid three years plus out of my singletrack wheels on xt hubs. I beat the hell out of them. Didnt have any flat spots, didnt have any cracks, anything like that. Built them with brass nipples, and dt spokes. Had to true them once after a pretty hard wreck, but thats all.

Rode alot of rocks, drops, Fontana racing ETC. I dont think I would be willing to do a 30 foot huck on them, but they are fine for DH.

Build them up, use them. What do you really ahve to lose? Hell they sell for less than 40 bucks normally. Its your basic budget wheelset that holds up. Maybe its not the best, but for the price, can you really complain?