Quantcast

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
That's a pretty decent 6-er. Mine would have all Torpedo and Ruination... :)
Ruination is great, I actually haven't tried the Torpedo yet (that's the next one). I just wanted to be adventurous tonight. :biggrin:

I better slow down though, I have to get my bike converted to tubeless tonight...:biggrin:

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
A Coors light, and a shot of gin because I was in a ****ty mood. Then I went to the store and got coffee and realized I had to do a presentation in 5min for a stupid fvcking online class. I get more coffee, get home, and realize it's on monday....

Chimera is making it better.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Am I the only one that has problems with tubeless?

:rant: :rant:
What problems?

That night was the first time I've done a ghetto tubeless conversion. Picked up some 20" tubes, cut 'em, stretched the around the rim, pop the tire on, Stan's, air compressor. Boom, no prob.
Although I should have probably done it before I started drinking.

In the past, I've used the Stan's strips and the Mavic UST system. I think ghetto was far easier than the Stan's strips, I can never get them to seat in the rim correctly.

Held up to about 9,000 feet of DH, including a pretty good crash, Saturday so I guess it did it right.

Thread related content:

Bud Light and a tall boy of King Cobra between runs...more of a dare than anything else, 'cause no one would choose to drink King Cobra. Made things...interesting.

Last edited:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
What problems?
First time I gave it a go I got a pinch flat... that pi$$ed me off as did the price of tubeless tires. So I went tubed for a bunch of years.

Recently I got some tires from a buddy - first off I had a b1tch of a time getting one to hold air until I put some of that expensive latex $hit in it. Then the other I had a b1tch of a time getting the tire seated (I don't have a compressor). Then I got a thorn that flatted the tire before it sealed itself. Then I got a small-ish sidewall tear that the latex could NOT seal. So now I'm running a back tire with a tube AND with a bunch of messy latex $hit in it. :rant:

I'm not sure I'm gonna try again...

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
What'd you think of the Lakefront Bock? The whole Bock/Maibock/Dopplebock/Einbock category is new to me since we came out to WI, but it's probably my favorite style right now.
I like it better than most of the other Lakefront stuff. It is big & sweet with a heavy mouthfeel. A good Bock IMHO. I like Sprecher's Mai Bock that is out right now too, in fact I may get some tonight, since I am having trouble remembering it.

The NG Uff-da is my favorite I have to say.

A couple of good German dopplebocks are Paulaner Salvator Doppel Bock & Spaten Optimator.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
First time I gave it a go I got a pinch flat... that pi$$ed me off as did the price of tubeless tires. So I went tubed for a bunch of years.

Recently I got some tires from a buddy - first off I had a b1tch of a time getting one to hold air until I put some of that expensive latex $hit in it. Then the other I had a b1tch of a time getting the tire seated (I don't have a compressor). Then I got a thorn that flatted the tire before it sealed itself. Then I got a small-ish sidewall tear that the latex could NOT seal. So now I'm running a back tire with a tube AND with a bunch of messy latex $hit in it. :rant:

I'm not sure I'm gonna try again...
I'm going to assume these are UST rims and single ply UST tires. Correct?

If they are old tires, they probably won't seat very well.
Best thing to do is get new tires. I don't know what your terrain is like, but here its very rocky, so I only use double plys.

Unless its the UST system, you're going to need to use Stan's (expensive latex stuff). Its not that expensive...
I used it even with my UST wheels/tires, just for extra protection. Its like mega-slime, it will seal up just about any hole.

And some people can seat these tires with a floor pump, but I use a compressor. Way easier and the only sure way to make sure the beads are set (that loud POP POP you hear when inflating).

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I'm going to assume these are UST rims and single ply UST tires. Correct?

If they are old tires, they probably won't seat very well.
Best thing to do is get new tires. I don't know what your terrain is like, but here its very rocky, so I only use double plys.

Unless its the UST system, you're going to need to use Stan's (expensive latex stuff). Its not that expensive...
I used it even with my UST wheels/tires, just for extra protection. Its like mega-slime, it will seal up just about any hole.

And some people can seat these tires with a floor pump, but I use a compressor. Way easier and the only sure way to make sure the beads are set (that loud POP POP you hear when inflating).
So with all this nonsense the advantage is.... :confused:

Arutha

Monkey
Nov 26, 2002
Western PA
Just finished a stellar night or at least I think so. Home brew funky saison, DeDolle Reserva '07, Lost Abbey Proximus, and 3 Fonteinen Schaerbeekse Kriek '06. One of the best Krieks's I've had. And these were shared, I'd be wasted if I drank all this myself.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Fat tire tonight, and tommorrow, and Sunday!!!!
It's finally available in WI. And by "available", I mean $3.99 for a 22oz. When it wasn't available it was something that was forbidden, and part of the fun was trying to figure out how to get it (shipping a 6-pack, drinking it while traveling to Colorado, etc). Now that it's actually available (and overpriced), suddenly the mystique is gone and I'm choosing locally brewed beer instead. Might pick up a bottle at some point, but definitely not really that thrilled about it anymore...