Quantcast

riding and camping in NC

def

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
knoxville, tn
I know not everyone on this site rides only their dh bikes and maybe some of the NC cats can help me out a little. I'm taking a few days off and doing a little solo excursion w/ a tent, my xc bike and a cooler of good beer. I'm going to hit some different places each day and do some longish, but mellowish rides.

Day 1: Ocoee (white water center - tanasi). Fun trails and I helped build one when I was an intern w/ the forest service in college.
Day 2: Tsali. People around here bash it and say its too easy, but its just fun.
Day 3: ??? Thats my question. I'm thinking something dupont/pisgah but I don't want anything too over the top. My thought right now is Bent Creek because of the campgound and its fun and flowy. I'm not looking for anything like black mtn or claw hammer (which have their place and I do enjoy at times), just something where I can get away and have fun. I remember laurel mtn was fun, but I can't recall if there was camping close by.

I'm just looking for some opinions/suggestions from anyone who rides up there. Thanks guys.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Primitive camp out at Pink Beds. You'll be on the dirt road that connects you to Pink Beds, Laurel Mtn and the Fish Hatchery as well as the resot of Pisgah and even Dupont. You won't have to set up camp 3 times.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
I did a little camping excursion in the summer and hit Bent Creek, Pisgah(laurel mtn, avery creek, lower black mtn), and Dupont.

*you must ride Dupont.
*Bent Creek is screwed up right now. They are logging over most of the good singletrack.
*I really like occoe and Tsali. They are trails that you can just get a flow going and forget about everything else. People who bash them are stupid.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
motomike said:
I did a little camping excursion in the summer and hit Bent Creek, Pisgah(laurel mtn, avery creek, lower black mtn), and Dupont.

*you must ride Dupont.
*Bent Creek is screwed up right now. They are logging over most of the good singletrack.
*I really like occoe and Tsali. They are trails that you can just get a flow going and forget about everything else. People who bash them are stupid.
Ocoee and Dupont are kind of similar. GREAT-MUST rides. Not nearly as long, backwoods, or Gnarly as parts of Pisgah but both are absolutely incredible places to ride.

Personally I'd camp near the Davidson River Campgrounds. You can get a free off the road campsite and still sneak into the heated showers and facilities without a problem. You'd be within easy pedaling distance of Thrift & Sycamore Cove (bottom of Black Mountain). The Fish Hatcheries,(Caney Bottoms) the Horse Stables (Clawhammer if you are so inclined). You'd also be a 2 minute drive from a grocery store, bike shop and only a 20 minute drive from Dupont or N Mills (Laurel, Trace, Fletcher, Spencer)

ride on!

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
bizutch said:
Rob,

why do you still live in Florida...? It's as if you live through some comic book psi-link with the Forest?
Would you like to be added to the list of people that are keeping an eye out for a career for me anywhere in the NC Tri-angle area (preferably on the Charlotte side), SC anywhere near Columbia - Greenville and of course Asheville?

I have a bachelor's in accounting and plenty of automotive experience. I would make the move for anything above the 50k p/year + incentives and growth opportunities.

In exchange I will bust a$$ for the trail maintenance organization of your choosing and or drive you to some event within a days drive.

Let me know where and when you want me to send a resume' :thumb:

tgaines72

Monkey
Jul 28, 2002
Knoxville, TN
I too have tried to find a good job in Asheville/western NC for the past 5 years. I have found nothing stable enough worth moving for, so when I found my perfect job in Knoxville (just 2 hours from Asheville and 2 hours from everything else and enough good riding close by to keep me entertained) I jumped. I start work in Knoxville next week, and will be traveling for work to Asheville and Chattanooga as a consolation.
My advice, if you can't find what you want in Asheville, then look in Knoxville, and save to retire in Asheville.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
tgaines72 said:
I too have tried to find a good job in Asheville/western NC for the past 5 years. I have found nothing stable enough worth moving for, so when I found my perfect job in Knoxville (just 2 hours from Asheville and 2 hours from everything else and enough good riding close by to keep me entertained) I jumped. I start work in Knoxville next week, and will be traveling for work to Asheville and Chattanooga as a consolation.
My advice, if you can't find what you want in Asheville, then look in Knoxville, and save to retire in Asheville.
Knoxville would work for me as well. Except, well

Might get me killed, but Id be willing to take that chance. Same offer applies

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
just send out a resume for Asheville with the title:
Retiree with lots of expendable cash wanting to cut down mountaintop scenery to build large summer home with private gate and no public access with intent to become town council and invite all my friends to do the same.
You should have a job offer within the hour.

def

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
knoxville, tn
motomike said:
*you must ride Dupont.
*Bent Creek is screwed up right now. They are logging over most of the good singletrack. .

Cool. Thanks dude (and I guess I'll thank Butch too, but he flipped me off the last time). I've yet to get to dupont, but have a number of friends who ride there fairly frequently, so I'll get a low down on which trails, were to stay and the what not. Heading out thurday morning.

def

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
knoxville, tn
tgaines72 said:

I've been looking there too since I got out of school 3 years ago. BS in Forestry...you'd think there would be something over there. But to be honest, I'm having just as hard a time here in Knoxville finding a job I like.
But there is enough riding here to keep me from semi-sane and I try to get out of town to ride usually once a month. Fontana in July and Chilhowee mtn a couple of weeks ago. I've just scheduled a good 5 days off to really try to enjoy myself. And there are plenty of florida/anti-vol fans here...you just have to know where to look and watch behind you. Hell, the McDonalds just off campus is freakin orange!!

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
d.e.f. said:
And there are plenty of florida/anti-vol fans here...you just have to know where to look and watch behind you. Hell, the McDonalds just off campus is freakin orange!!
Uhhhhh..... UT's colors are orange and white :cool:

def

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
knoxville, tn
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
Uhhhhh..... UT's colors are orange and white :cool:
I know :sneaky: It just blew my mind how seriously people here take school pride and their vol football. During orientation, most of the time and questions were regarding the football team - it seemed no one cared about classes. My freshman year was the national champ year - it was freaking NUTS when we beat you guys. If only I had social skills at 18 I could of had some serious fun that semester.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
d.e.f. said:
I know :sneaky: It just blew my mind how seriously people here take school pride and their vol football. During orientation, most of the time and questions were regarding the football team - it seemed no one cared about classes. My freshman year was the national champ year - it was freaking NUTS when we beat you guys. If only I had social skills at 18 I could of had some serious fun that semester.
what the hell do you need social skills for with 10,000 dumb drunk sluts running around? just pick one and poke it.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
biggins said:
what the hell do you need social skills for with 10,000 dumb drunk sluts running around? just pick one and poke it.
damm Ben I thought you left for good. Haven't seen ya in awhile. Please tell me you still have your bike.

def

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
knoxville, tn
biggins said:
Ahhhh. Easier said than done. My retardedness with the ladies is legendary around these parts.

gschuette

Monkey
Sep 22, 2004
Truck
I would cut Tsali out of the picture. I may be stupid in the eyes of Motomike but it is monotonous. The best part of a ride at Tsali is finishing so you can go swim in the lake and get the nasty mud off. When you look at the riding that is available within a two hour radius of Tsali I wonder why people go there. DuPont is a load of fun just don't follow any guidebooks. they run you all over the place and you criss cross yourself a million times. You can spend a week in Pisgah and not ride all the stuff. Maybe head over to the NOC and see if you can go rafting/kayaking or something like that. I wouldn't waste time on a trip to NC by going to Tsail. I made that mistake again this summer and I still regret it.

def

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
knoxville, tn
gschuette said:
I would cut Tsali out of the picture. I may be stupid in the eyes of Motomike but it is monotonous. The best part of a ride at Tsali is finishing so you can go swim in the lake and get the nasty mud off. When you look at the riding that is available within a two hour radius of Tsali I wonder why people go there. DuPont is a load of fun just don't follow any guidebooks. they run you all over the place and you criss cross yourself a million times. You can spend a week in Pisgah and not ride all the stuff. Maybe head over to the NOC and see if you can go rafting/kayaking or something like that. I wouldn't waste time on a trip to NC by going to Tsail. I made that mistake again this summer and I still regret it.
Different strokes for different folks I guess.

I had to make a few changes due to money and work and crap, but I still got my ride in. Rode Chilhowee Mtn, Tanasi and all of Tsali. I can see getting bored of Tsali if you ride it a lot, but I seem to get out there once a year, maybe once every other year. I just look at it as riding my bike on different trails having fun. I've had as much fun out there as I've had on any of the trails in Pisgah. I wanted to tear up Fontana on my way back to Knoxville, but I was damn pooped. Hell, I was too pooped to give the little wagon a good run through the dragon. The only bad thing of the trip was my beer got warm.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Tsali is an awesome trail to ride. It's not an epic descent type trail...it's a full tilt twisting roller coaster of bike love. I'm spoiled though b/c I live in Asheville and can't ride all the trails in this area in a month if I had to....so I never go to Tsali anymore b/c hte trails here are endless.

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
Would you like to be added to the list of people that are keeping an eye out for a career for me anywhere in the NC Tri-angle area (preferably on the Charlotte side), SC anywhere near Columbia - Greenville and of course Asheville?

I have a bachelor's in accounting and plenty of automotive experience. I would make the move for anything above the 50k p/year + incentives and growth opportunities.

In exchange I will bust a$$ for the trail maintenance organization of your choosing and or drive you to some event within a days drive.

Let me know where and when you want me to send a resume' :thumb:

my cousin used to be a GM of the hendrick porshe dealer in charlotte, perhaps he could put in a good word for you???

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
ridetoofast said:
my cousin used to be a GM of the hendrick porshe dealer in charlotte, perhaps he could put in a good word for you???
What does he do now? Still in the business? Yes :thumb:

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
ridetoofast said:
he is working in reeshmond for a euro sports car dealer. hes been in the sports car sales market for-evvvvveeerrrrrr.....
Feel free to mention something to him. If anything pops into his brain I am all for shooting out my resume :D