Quantcast

Riders Republic (game)

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Anyone else playing the free trial/Beta this week? What do you think?

I'm just over 3 hours into the free 4 hour trial on PS5 and seem to have finished all the biking challenges. (I'm not massively interested in the skiing/snow boarding part and not really at all in the wing suit/rocket suit parts).
The look of the game is like Fortnite mashed with STEEP (their previous mountain/snowsports games). Tracks are all brightly coloured and smooth with no real textures, ruts, rocks etc. and not all that varied. - possibly a lot more variety in the full game though if the map is bigger. Who knows?
The biking felt pretty horrible to begin with as the arcade controls don't represent an actual bike at all.
Sprint/Brake L1/L2 accelerate R2 and the four buttons are used for spin/flip rotations instead of any sort of preload or fore and aft balance (rather than implement the left stick FFS!). once in the air L2/R2 are used along with the left stick to pull of set-piece tricks.

After about an hour of having to listen to the super cringy "dude" and "dudette" characters cut scenes and introduction dialogue babying you throught the various disjointed, longwinded and over complicated processes to go from one sport to another and navigate the various challenges. The controls started to make more sense and from then on the game (head to head mtb/roadbike racing at least) became a little too easy. it's a shame. I was hoping for somethnig more aloing the lines of the old MXvsATV/Reflex controlls mixed with an improved Descenders. instead it's more of a dumbed down for younger players more cartoony sequel to STEEP.

I'll probably finish the last 50mins of the free trial later. It's a fun enough game but I can't see me rushing out to spend £60 on it when it's released next week.

Try it for yourself here:

Last edited:

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I hate the controls on Steep, Riders Republic seems to be the same. You flick controls to perform canned moves instead of having full control. Descenders is much better from a control perspective - nothing is pre-canned you have full control over rotations, how long you hold moves, pumping (both up and down), manual front/rear wheel weight shifts, controls to suck up landings etc. It's unrealistic in terms of how fast/far you can go, but the control scheme is much more rewarding.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Just finished the free trial.
Ended up doing a few challenges where you start off on a DH bike racing then at some point jump off a cliff/drop and morph into a wingsuit/paraglider and then back onto your bike at the bottom of the mountain and end the race UPHILL SWITCHBACK racing. OMG!

Yeah. Descenders control method was better. shame it's not all that great a game.
Despite not being much more than mobile phone ports I actually prefer Sam Pilgrim's game and Pumped BMX on PS4.
Lonely mountains was decent but had a super steep skill curve

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
How far on in Lonely Mountains did you get?
I started to find the control system and learning the mountains/routes/shortcuts pretty frustrating after getting to about 30% through the game's progress. A few years back when I got it I was still in denial about needing glasses. Might load it up later and find out how much of a difference being able to actually see makes.

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
For me it wasn't just that Descenders main game is dumb. The WHOLE game just felt is like a PS2 game and a pretty bad one at that.
Cheers for the heads up that you can just ride the Freeride tracks though.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
For me it wasn't just that Descenders main game is dumb. The WHOLE game just felt is like a PS2 game and a pretty bad one at that.
Cheers for the heads up that you can just ride the Freeride tracks though.
Yeah, graphics and physics aren't AAA level. Check out Stoker Bike Park and The Sanctuary.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Fuck dat!

Did go back and play lonely mountains again after you mentioned it though. And you're right it is pretty awesome. I even bought some new DLC for it. I was right about the difficulty thing though. Expert challenges are pretty tight.

But I'm spending most of my gaming time just now struggling in online Fifa22 (after 20 years of PES)

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Jibbing about exploring on the Bmx is OK. But in needs Dave Nirra controls. Not the awkward weird shit ubisoft came up with. The mtb looks fun but in reality the whack control system is what stops me going back.
Spending mist of my time on FIFA and smashing zombie heads on Last Light... Christ knows how I missed that gem at the time.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I keep being tempted by monster energy supercross 6... When it's half price... But I've been burned too many times by that franchise.

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
I keep being tempted by monster energy supercross 6... When it's half price... But I've been burned too many times by that franchise.
MX ATV the newest one is decent, they are updating it regularly, my only gripe is they want you buy new tracks and if you want the branded bikes you have to buy them too.

Apart from that its decent

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Hmm...
Legends?
so has it improved massively from release? Played the demo then and thought it was gash.
The old MX Vs ATVs were awesome

Monster Energy wants your micro transaction money for everything too.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Downloading Legends now. (got a friend with a PS extra account on my Ps5)
Cheers for the heads up

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
Hmm...
Legends?
so has it improved massively from release? Played the demo then and thought it was gash.
The old MX Vs ATVs were awesome

Monster Energy wants your micro transaction money for everything too.
Aye legends, had to check up what it was called. Its annoying but also clever for the developers that if they keep updating and then sell other "real" tracks people will spend the money to keep playing. The days of buying as game and its full from the get go are long gone.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Had a couple of hours back on Legends. So far I'm really not sure about the physics, controls OR graphics. Does this all improve once you upgrade the bike /get off the 125mm? I loved and played the shit out of Reflex and Alive back on PS3 /4 and ended up fairly decent at both but I'm crashing far too often with this. Mainly from coming up short (or occasionally long) with the exact same weird (awful) sort of superman face down starfish animation. Got the hang of the "clutch" although it's more like nitros in this.. Haha.. Decent whips seem to be impossible too.
Also. do enough things eventually open up through completing career? or do you really need to buy the track pass for the good content? I'm really not bothered about having specific bikes at all so long as I have something competitive. Cars n motorcycles just bore me IRL

Last edited:

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
Had a couple of hours back on Legends. So far I'm really not sure about the physics, controls OR graphics. Does this all improve once you upgrade the bike /get off the 125mm? I loved and played the shit out of Reflex and Alive back on PS3 /4 and ended up fairly decent at both but I'm crashing far too often with this. Mainly from coming up short (or occasionally long) with the exact same weird (awful) sort of superman face down starfish animation. Got the hang of the "clutch" although it's more like nitros in this.. Haha.. Decent whips seem to be impossible too.
Also. do enough things eventually open up through completing career? or do you really need to buy the track pass for the good content? I'm really not bothered about having specific bikes at all so long as I have something competitive. Cars n motorcycles just bore me IRL
I felt it got better when you started getting faster bikes and getting the hang of the controls. I think once you finish Career you have to buy the track pass which even then isnt that many tracks like 12 or 15.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Cheers. glad you recommended it. On the whole I'm enjoying the game and got about 8-10 hours in the career now. It'll probably take me ages to complete as I tend to stick with one race until I bag first place before moving on to the next and must've had to make 20+ attempts to bag the win for the straight rythm races. I'm now frustrated as hell with Supercross. The controls and 3rd person camera were awesome for the point to point "trails" races and MX but I'm really struggling with tighter more rythm based jumps and learning the Supercross tracks as the controls just don't feel intuitive at all compared to Reflex, Alive or Monster EnergySX. Weirdly I just tried first person and already I seem to be getting better results using that in supercross. the game somehow seems waay more forgiving coming up short and messing up rythms in that view. or is that just me? Saving a case by using the clutch seems to work 50/50 in 3rd person but I seem to be able to case in first person and get away with it waaay more often just keeping it pinned.
I only just started spending credits to upgrade the bike last night when I got to the Supercross races. (still on the 125). I hate RPG elements always and Modding in games. it just seems a chore and reminds me of being back in school in subjects that didn't interest me. It's definitelty a crutch as I'm the same on all racing games and it generally means I'm at a massive disadvantage online from not optimising set up at all for races/tracks.
Just realised. I'm also not actually sure which difficulty I'm playing on. I think I set it back when I played the pre-release demo

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
Supercross and the straight rythum I found alot harder than the outdoors. On certain tracks there was zero room for mistakes.