Quantcast

Revelstoke and Golden

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Been there? What would you ride if you had 1-2 days at each spot?

Headed there at the very end of July.

Martha's Creek is on the list 100%.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Been there? What would you ride if you had 1-2 days at each spot?

Headed there at the very end of July.

Martha's Creek is on the list 100%.
Revelstoke ride Martha's creek one day, then the trail network that includes Boondocker, Rednecks Revenge etc and the area nearby that has Lost Boys. If you don't have shuttles you might have to do the park?

In Golden, Kicking Horse resort is well worth a look as is Mt Seven but you'll need a shuttle for Mt Seven and its a proper spicy meatball so don't go if you want a relaxed day out.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Ask me in mid August. Planning on Whizzle, Sun Peaks and Kicking Horse.

edit: Post up what you think of Kicking Horse if you ride there :)

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
@toodles yeah we're starting to think about shuttles or how we can swing it.

We're driving from my friends house in Calgary, so not sure what vehicles we'll have yet. Buddy is a great talker though and can quickly make friends with just about anyone on the planet, so I'm sure we'll figure it out somehow. :rofl:

We will definitely be doing a day at Kicking Horse, assuming they're open.

@6thElement thatll be a good trip.

There's also Panorama "near" Calgary, but I think that'd add too much drive time, when Revelstoke is right there near Golden.

I am just praying that there are no late freak snow events.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
It was raining the day we drove through Revelstoke so we just went hiking in the Glacier National Park. The next day we did some great, really steep riding in Fernie. Easy to find, just out of town. Definitely recommmend that if you can stop there.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
It was raining the day we drove through Revelstoke so we just went hiking in the Glacier National Park. The next day we did some great, really steep riding in Fernie. Easy to find, just out of town. Definitely recommmend that if you can stop there.
Fernie is on the list but I think that will require a second trip. :)

Too much to ride in a week...

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
But yeah good mention on the rain, we'll have to have backup plans for rain days. Those will probably be bike park days..

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Too true. Now you've got me pondering if it's worth trying to fit a Revelstoke day in somehow...
Are you only bringing the DH bike?

The more I look at Revelstoke the more it looks like a trail bike kind of place. The bike park doesn't appear to have a lot of tech, every other trail looks like a machine built jump/flow trail. Plus the climb to the top, after the lift, if you so choose...

Though I haven't been, so I could be completely wrong.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Are you only bringing the DH bike?

The more I look at Revelstoke the more it looks like a trail bike kind of place. The bike park doesn't appear to have a lot of tech, every other trail looks like a machine built jump/flow trail. Plus the climb to the top, after the lift, if you so choose...

Though I haven't been, so I could be completely wrong.
Which is what it looked like to me. Wife and I would just have DH bikes, so it might not be a good stop versus another day at Kicking Horse instead.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
ever since back in the day mtb vids i've wanted to ride mt. seven. shit in fernie also looks amazing.
I remember using Kazaa to download and search for Fernie and Nelson freeride videos back in the day.

Sometimes with unexpected results. :panic:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I need to hit the shed and think about feasibility of this one... And if my hands can handle it.

Hear me out...

Early morning shuttle up Martha's Creek, with 5150 foot descent.

Lunch/hydration/shed/whatever

Afternoon, heli ride up to top of Frisby Ridge* and do the whole thing - 6560 foot descent.

Evening - beer/shed/jump in river and contemplate my life's choices.

Frisby won't suck:

*Cartier is still closed, heli place just confirmed, but said "they are working on it" :(

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
I need to hit the shed and think about feasibility of this one... And if my hands can handle it.

Hear me out...

Early morning shuttle up Martha's Creek, with 5150 foot descent.

Lunch/hydration/shed/whatever

Afternoon, heli ride up to top of Frisby Ridge* and do the whole thing - 6560 foot descent.

Evening - beer/shed/jump in river and contemplate my life's choices.

Frisby won't suck:

*Cartier is still closed, heli place just confirmed, but said "they are working on it" :(
dude that's like a 5-6 dh run day. what are you thinking about?

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
The East Kootenay's probably has the best of the steepest, longest, most fall line trails in BC. Kicking Horse - T4/LSD, MT7 - Psychosis et al frontside, and another wild one you can hike a bike from the mt7 drop in to one ridge south. Pano has a bunch of really good above treeline trails, and the Hopeful descent is really good. Fernie, to many to list but Dirt Diggler and Al Matador, Big Money, Project 9, Slunt/Brokeback are all great.

I'd probably swap Fernie for Revelstoke, personally. Martha Creek is great, Frisby proper is pretty much xc, except for the desecnt back to valley from the upper parking lot which is rowdy. I thought Boulder Mountain was okay but not really anything that stood out or that I can recall, Macpherson is meh. Odd man outs or a driver are key for a lot of the rides though in the east kootenay region, unless you want really long shuttle retreivals.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
The East Kootenay's probably has the best of the steepest, longest, most fall line trails in BC. Kicking Horse - T4/LSD, MT7 - Psychosis et al frontside, and another wild one you can hike a bike from the mt7 drop in to one ridge south. Pano has a bunch of really good above treeline trails, and the Hopeful descent is really good. Fernie, to many to list but Dirt Diggler and Al Matador, Big Money, Project 9, Slunt/Brokeback are all great.

I'd probably swap Fernie for Revelstoke, personally. Martha Creek is great, Frisby proper is pretty much xc, except for the desecnt back to valley from the upper parking lot which is rowdy. I thought Boulder Mountain was okay but not really anything that stood out or that I can recall, Macpherson is meh. Odd man outs or a driver are key for a lot of the rides though in the east kootenay region, unless you want really long shuttle retreivals.
Cheers for the tips!

We also have a night or two at a condo in Revelstoke for $100, thanks to a friend of a friend. This is swinging us that way too. The other thing is that half our group will opt out of a lot super sketch tech trails and whatnot, in favor of flow. The other half, myself included, are fully willing to get into the stupid stuff.

We'll see what happens!

We're all also in this partly as stupid looking tourists; coming from Onterrible, we're bound to caught mouth breathing at the scenery. :busted:

Our buddy who lives in Calgary and is joining us, has also mentioned Panorama. He hasn't been yet, so that'll probably be an option.

We haven't actually planned a single thing, other than that one condo and the plane tickets.

I want Fernie....my cat is named Fernie. But that'll need to be a different trip. Oh no the horror, I'll have to go back. :)

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
10-4, you'll have fun in Revy and the shittiest trail there is still better than almost anything in Ont.! hahaha
For real! It'll be my first time to the rockies, in Canada, even.

Just need the snow to melt so I can start lapping the local hills to help get my ass in gear for the climbs before the climbs. :rofl:

aenema

almost 100% positive
Sep 5, 2008
Kicking Horse is a blast and I feel is a must visit. If you are DH fit, one day will leave you wanting a lot more. I like Mt 7 but the shuttle makes it a tough sell to me after visiting it 4 times now. Have not ridden Revelstoke but have half a dozen visits to Kicking Horse and a lot more than that to Fernie. Fernie is a good stopover and fun but I use it to break up the drive more than a destination, Kicking Horse is the destination.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Ask me in mid August. Planning on Whizzle, Sun Peaks and Kicking Horse.

edit: Post up what you think of Kicking Horse if you ride there :)
Here is my mini review. We ended up riding at Panorama, Revelstoke and Kicking Horse.

Panorama
-expensive day tickets. Something like $80?
-only did one day here, would have liked more.
-trails are either very easy or escalate in difficulty very fast.
-some nice tech and a few jumps, if you're into that.
-park was totally empty. Might have been due to it being a weekday and a new forest fire lit off about 7km away the day before.
-slow chair lift. Can easily crush a beer on it.

Kicking Horse
-cheap compared to Panorama, especially given the vast terrain.
-kind of reminded me of Killington, with how big it is.
-epic views and very cool ride down from the top of the gondola.
-lots of varied terrain.
-would definitely return and ride here more.
-place seemed to be well taken care of.
-closes early, I think they shut the lift down at 3 or 3:30. They open at 10 so you really gotta cram the laps in.

Revelstoke
-two gondola rides to the top.
-too many flow trails.
-dusty as fuck.
-tech sections seemed to all be very short.
-climb trail into the alpine was nice, but the trail back down to the park was boring.
-probably wouldn't ride here again, or I should say I wouldn't go out of my way, unless they put in more tech.

Martha Creek dh
-friggin sick trail. What an adventure.
-10/10 worth the 40 minute shuttle ride up the service road.
-epic views and epic descent.
-no cell service and in the wilderness, need a Garmin or something...just incase.

Moose Mountain near Calgary
-pretty sweet trail system.
-the tech is super good and there are some nice flow trails.
-was bigger descents than I thought, being so close to the city.
-free
-shuttleable....except for the one ridge with all crazy steep stuff.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Oh yeah and all of these places, except Moose (not sure if there is any), all have free crown land camping or super cheap camping options nearby.

Can give details if anyone wants. The crown land spots are on iOverlander app.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
No shuttles in Revelstoke? Some of those trails were my all time favs. Didn't ride the bike park

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
No shuttles in Revelstoke? Some of those trails were my all time favs. Didn't ride the bike park
Didn't have enough time unfortunately.

I wanted to check out Boulder Mountain trails or even just the bottom of Frisbee. But the day we did the park and climbed to the top, I had the runs in the morning. It wasn't a great day. :panic:

Then doing Martha Creek the next day and I was wiped out and stomach was still doing the odd pretzel move.

Oh yeah and our shuttle guy tore his achilles tendon at Kicking Horse, so that didn't help with getting rides...

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Didn't have enough time unfortunately.

I wanted to check out Boulder Mountain trails or even just the bottom of Frisbee. But the day we did the park and climbed to the top, I had the runs in the morning. It wasn't a great day. :panic:

Then doing Martha Creek the next day and I was wiped out and stomach was still doing the odd pretzel move.

Oh yeah and our shuttle guy tore his achilles tendon at Kicking Horse, so that didn't help with getting rides...
Only rode Standard Basin when up there a few years ago (many in fact). The next day the two network in town where closed because there had been a bear attack. Girlfriend didn't want part of none of that shit and we moved on to Squamish, were we saw a bunch of bears. :rolleyes:

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
How about intermediate trails for Wifey?
I know they're much improved over on morning mountain, but when I lived there in 2013 it was still pretty advanced heavy. https://www.trailforks.com/region/morning-mountain-15679/ I see on here they have mister slave and placenta as blue, I recalled them as more blackish but they may have changed since they put in the climb trail there. In typical BC style, Nelson's easy trails are probably a lot harder than you'll think they might be.