Quantcast

retarded saint crank question

ronan

Monkey
Dec 7, 2007
Toulouse, France
hello!

i just installed my saint cranks onto my new rig and have lost the 'crank arm fixing bolt' as shown in this diagram (#1) http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techdocs/content/cycle/EV/bikecomponents/FC/EV-FC-M800-2277C_v1_m56577569830608895.pdf

if i tighten up the clamp bolts to the correct torque and make sure the 'plate' is correctly installed will it be ok for riding up and down the street getting the gears worked in and light downhill for the brakes?

im guessing the answer is no, but im wandering/hoping if anyone has a better idea.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Actually, I believe you don't even need that bolt to keep your crank arm on.

If the Saint is like my XT cranks, that bolt does almost nothing. It is the clamp bolts (#2) which hold the crank arm on.

However, the crank fixing bolt helps to ensure that the crank arm is flush with the spindle. When I am installing the crank, I will actually tighten down the fixing bolt first, then remove it to double check that the crank arm is flush.

With that in mind, you can mallet down the arm so it is flush. Obviously, you want to be absolutely careful not to force the crank arm so it strips, and you probably want to get a new fixing bolt as well.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
The fixing bolt works similar to your headset's top cap. It's just there to snug everything up. It only really gets finger tightened anyway. If you could find a way to pre-load the crank arms (long skinny bolt with washers maybe, don't scratch your new cranks.) I think it would work. Obviously temporary...

I'd keep a close eye on your pinch bolts as if they loosen up, you could have a problem...

ronan

Monkey
Dec 7, 2007
Toulouse, France
The fixing bolt works similar to your headset's top cap. It's just there to snug everything up. It only really gets finger tightened anyway. If you could find a way to pre-load the crank arms (long skinny bolt with washers maybe, don't scratch your new cranks.) I think it would work. Obviously temporary...
they're the old style cranks, i put them away to store while i waited for my new frame and it must of dropped out somewhere along the line, they look wrecked anyway so i'm not worried about making them a bit scruffy! i'll try what you said and hope it works, thanks!