Quantcast

replacing the nomad

sxt

Chimp
Jul 7, 2009
thinking to replace my Nomad with something more DH for back-up/second choice bike, gonna build them with single crown fork in 180mm.

my other bike is a M9 with boxxer and I really like how the Intense ride, characteristic, geo, and all. so, I'll be looking something that pretty much similar to the Intense.

frame advice guys?

thanks

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
SS2? More agreessive geo, intense sticker. Seems right what you need. Though I dont really see why would someone need a dh bike and a 180 mini dh bike. Maybe a shorter travel (140-150mm) burly bike with agressive geo?

sxt

Chimp
Jul 7, 2009
the SS2 was my option. till I found out that for the same price, I can get other frame which has better shock. I mean the SS2 is spec'd with DHX 4, and for the same money I can get the commencal V3 with RC4 for example.

it was the purpose, when I got the nomad. it is build with 140/180 talas, so I can do trail/AM in 140 and DH in 180. I guess I was wrong, the bike is hardly ridden as most of the time I do DH not to mention the 140 adjustable. I think I never used them since brand new.

jutny

Monkey
Jan 15, 2009
Montclair, NJ
SS2? More agreessive geo, intense sticker. Seems right what you need. Though I dont really see why would someone need a dh bike and a 180 mini dh bike. Maybe a shorter travel (140-150mm) burly bike with agressive geo?
2nd.

I just got rid of my 160mmF/180mmR mini DH bike (reignX) because it just wasnt useful to me in the stable at all.

Now on a spitfire 160mmF/150mmR and it gets ridden so much more because it does what I need.

roel_koel

Monkey
Mar 26, 2003
London,England
^^ this

I am rocking a Devinci Dixon Split-Pivot all-mountain with 145mm in the rear and lowered Fox 36 Float at 150mm in the front - 66 degree HA

with my 36 Float at the original 160mm height it was closer to 65 degrees which I found too slack for my general riding needs

it pedals like an XC bike (sub 29lb with sensible build and tubeless 1 ply tires) but feels very capable on rough DH runs and with change of tires to 2-ply will handle bike parks and uplift days no problem

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
Just demoed a Carbon Cannondale Jekyll and it seemed to do everything. It climbed like a race bike and decended like a big bike. Super sweet.

If you want more travel they also have the 180mm Claymore.

Edit: I also demoed a $4k Nomad for a week and although a nice bike, it wasn't as good as the Jekyll.

Last edited:

sxt

Chimp
Jul 7, 2009
the TR 250 would be similar price to the SS2, so I still think they're abit on expensive side. should I sell the talas and get a dual crown fork to build a full on DH bike instead?

talking about overlap, it used to be a SX trail before I sold them and got the nomad. as the time goes on, I'm regretting now...

descente

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Sandy Eggo
new SX Trail is pretty dialed bike. what about one of those?

TR250 looks sweet, can't wait to ride one.
Morewood Kalula would be baller.

sxt

Chimp
Jul 7, 2009
the SXT was also my other choice till I found out that need 142 hub...I mean I already got the 135 qr off the nomad and 150 w.set lying around at home, I don't think Ill be spending more on w.set. as hard as I could, I try to find something with either 135 or 150.

kulala is also a good choice, but I don't think I can find any morewood in where I live.

was thinking the new commencal supreme DH V3, do you think they'll fill up what I'm looking for?

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Just demoed a Carbon Cannondale Jekyll and it seemed to do everything. It climbed like a race bike and decended like a big bike. Super sweet.

If you want more travel they also have the 180mm Claymore.
Really interested in both of these bikes, I think the Claymore would work for the majority of riding I do.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
So are you replacing the nomad or want a 2nd dh bike? Though why would you need a secondary dh bike and why would the supreme be anything like the m9? If you really need a backup dh bike just buy a used sunday for 30% of the price or if you really must have something like your m9 just buy another one.

sxt

Chimp
Jul 7, 2009
So are you replacing the nomad or want a 2nd dh bike? Though why would you need a secondary dh bike and why would the supreme be anything like the m9? If you really need a backup dh bike just buy a used sunday for 30% of the price or if you really must have something like your m9 just buy another one.
I'm selling the nomad for another dh bike...I can't afford another M9 and I was offered with very attractive price on the supreme...

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I dont get it why would someone need 2 dh bikes but if you have the cash and that deal makes sense for you why not go for it? You seem already pretty convinced.

sxt

Chimp
Jul 7, 2009
I do actually...I was making sure, that the particular bike ride well or as I expected. i mean they're very new at the market