Quantcast

renting a tux for g/f's company formal...ghetto?

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
Christmas formal is coming up and i'm expected to attend. i can either rent a tux, or buy (charge on credit card)...which would be a better option? i'm rather strapped for money, so either way, i'll be living off PB and Js for a little while.

will a rented tux look like a rented tux compared to a purchased one? can't say i've ever paid attention enough. the people attending are folk that wear suits daily.

rooftest

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
OC, CA
What are you kidding? rent one. It'll look better than if you bought a cheapie. (and don't bother buying one unless you're gonna spend some bucks to get a good one.)

Chris C

Chimp
Jul 30, 2006
Sturbridge, MA
I concur, rent one. You can rent some really nice looking ones that don't look like the standard issue high-school prom tux for just a little more money. Buying a tux is expensive if you get one that doesn't look like it was made in a sweat shop.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Unless you're planning on attending a lot of formal events in the very near future, definitely rent.

Ugh. Tuxes suck.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
If you get your g/f drunk enough nobody will remember what you're wearing.

AA717driver

Chimp
Oct 21, 2006
The land of Bio-diesel
At least go to a good men's shop and get your own tie and cumberbund. That will impress your date.

If you want to be obnoxious, check out vinyardvines.com. They've got some really wild sets. Have fun. TC

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
(and don't bother buying one unless you're gonna spend some bucks to get a good one.)
what do good ones go for? i figured that if i purchased, it'd be in the $500 area.

is there a societal difference between a suit and a tux? i don't think this little get together is called a "black-tie event", but does "Formal" dictate a tux?

would black/ white wingtips be a bad idea?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Yes there is a difference betwen a suit and a tux. Unless the invitation specifies "black tie" you are fine going in a suit. If it says "black tie optional" a suit is also ok, but wear a tux and you'll impress. If it's a tux, then unless you know you have more black tie events coming soon, renting is fine, but go early and visit a couple places so you have lots of options.

If you want to wear a suit and don't own a decent one (and you are done growing), sack up and drop the coin on a decent black or charcoal. It'll come in handy for events like this, not to mention weddings, funerals, etc. Budget for a good tailoring, even if it means getting a less expensive suit, and pick up a good quality shirt and tie. With inexpensive suits it's all about fit and details.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
what do good ones go for? i figured that if i purchased, it'd be in the $500 area.

is there a societal difference between a suit and a tux? i don't think this little get together is called a "black-tie event", but does "Formal" dictate a tux?

would black/ white wingtips be a bad idea?
$500 would get you in the door if you shop around online.

A suit is business attire, not formal attire.

Formal = tux unless those sending the invites are idiots.

The invitation itself, if properly executed, should make it clear.

Black/white wingtips = bad taste in shoes no matter what the occasion.

Get formal glossy cap-toes and just rent the damned tux already. :biggrin:

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
You guys are clueless on the Tux deal.
Renting a tux is the biggest scam ever.
If you shop it right, and you wear a tux two times, it will cost you less to buy one than to rent it twice.
The last time I rented a tux, it was about $75.
I shopped around and found a tux on sale for $99.
The jacket and pants were the same ones that they were renting, but the vest and bowtie were old school. So, I went to the formal wear place, got a good colored vest and tie with a package they had for $30. So, I bought the same tux that they were renting for $75 a weekend for $129. I had to use the tux a few times when my sister was in Miss America, so it paid for itself right away.
That said, Tuxedos are teh suck, but they suck even worse by pissing away your money renting them.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
HAHAHAHA! Since it would be tough to find a tux that didn't scream "cheap" for $500, I'm sure your "$99 Wal-Mart special" looks sweet!
You should call up queer eye and see if they are looking for a 6th.
Then you can some to my house and "metro" me up OC style.
My tux is the exact same as the ones they are renting and I save the scrap for bike parts. Think of how many pop collars you could own if you did the same.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
ok, talked to g/f's Senior Manager, and she said a suit would be good. it's not a black tie event; so i'm thinking about buying a suit...

pinstripe or solid?
black or navy?

if navy, what color shoes?

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
pinstripe, but subtle.
not black, but a very very dark (almost black) gray. straight cut.

i´ve got a zegna like that i´ve been getting a lot of miles from.