Quantcast

Remembering the Evil Empire DH prototype frame

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Been putting the finishing touches on the history section for the updated Evil web site. I just googled some things, and came across this old story from 2001, in the beginning of Pinkbike, when the Imperial was a secret, and the Evil "reverse motolink suspension" was the talk of the MTBR downhill board for about 2 months straight. These pictures bring back some memories of days of old, thought Id share with the rest of you long-timers.

Later!

http://www.pinkbike.com/stories/evilnews.htm

Attachments

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
Nice, I saved all those pics onto my hard drive loong ago. Can I just ask, why the pivot location at (very close to) the chainline? Is there a specific reason for this (in regards to pedaling), or was it before you had a full understanding of pedaling dynamics (no insult intended, it's a genuine question) or what?

*curious engineering student in case you hadn't guessed*

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
Incubus said:
Cr@p! Has it been 3 years already. Time f*cking flies...
In fact, it's been 2004 years! And the first 1980something of them really flew past; so fast in fact that I can't even remember them!

:nuts:

blong

Monkey
Sep 25, 2001
San Diego
thaflyinfatman said:
Can I just ask, why the pivot location at (very close to) the chainline? Is there a specific reason for this (in regards to pedaling),
yes, your chain holds tension from the top of the chainring to the top of the cog, and if the pivot is above or below that, it will cause extension or compression, respectively.

that's the short answer, unless mr weagle feels like yakking about moments.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
turner beat them to it with the split-top tube moto-link type bike :D

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
blong said:
yes, your chain holds tension from the top of the chainring to the top of the cog, and if the pivot is above or below that, it will cause extension or compression, respectively.

that's the short answer, unless mr weagle feels like yakking about moments.
Nah, that's not really the case. You can have the pivot below that and you'll still have chain growth (which will provide an extension force when you pedal), as well as a number of other things. The pivot-at-the-chainline (..."will give neutral pedalling") theory is easy to prove false - what I was wondering was whether this was before DW went fully insane with his DW-link stuff and telekinesis and whatnot, or if there's another reason for it ;)

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Acadian said:
hahaha...look what I found nested on my HD ;)
that screen shot is way old! Months before we released info about the bike. Pretty sure that page right there never even went live! Where did you get that! :nuts:

hah

Dave

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
dw said:
that screen shot is way old! Months before we released info about the bike. Pretty sure that page right there never even went live! Where did you get that! :nuts:

hah

Dave
you are right...it NEVER went up. someone...lets say the web designer at the time - accidentally had it served somewhere, nested on his server. But he took it down after I told him :thumb:

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
thaflyinfatman said:
Nice, I saved all those pics onto my hard drive loong ago. Can I just ask, why the pivot location at (very close to) the chainline? Is there a specific reason for this (in regards to pedaling), or was it before you had a full understanding of pedaling dynamics (no insult intended, it's a genuine question) or what?

*curious engineering student in case you hadn't guessed*
Pivot location ended up there so that I could get the anti squat profile that I was looking for, its location in relation to the chainline wasnt really a driving factor though. Those pics are shown with a 44T ring too, so its a lttle decieving. The bike was planned to use a 40T ring. There are a couple other "secret" parts in there that let us change things up a bit.

Basically the idea with the system was to take a "motolink" type suspension, like found on many dirtbikes etc... and flip it upside down for packaging reasons. Hence the name reverse motolink. Earlier prototype designs that I played with looked a lot like what have become the Giant DH and Nicolai M-pirr, but this system fit my needs better at the time.

The prototype tension link between the swingarm and the top link was an adjustable length version, because the frame was designed to use the BIG avalanche MTN shock OR a 9X3 smaller avalanche shock, which was in the works at the time the bike was being built. If you look close you can see that there are 2 positions to mount the upper link. The renderings showed what we hoped would be a more "production like" frame design.

We have tossed around the idea of building a new version of this bike, but the reality of the situation is that the dw-link bikes are performing so damn well, its hard not to just go with the 4-bar. Hard to argue with 7 World Cup and NORBA Pro mens podiums in a row. You never know though!

dw

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
thaflyinfatman said:
Nah, that's not really the case. You can have the pivot below that and you'll still have chain growth (which will provide an extension force when you pedal), as well as a number of other things. The pivot-at-the-chainline (..."will give neutral pedalling") theory is easy to prove false - what I was wondering was whether this was before DW went fully insane with his DW-link stuff and telekinesis and whatnot, or if there's another reason for it ;)
dw-link came about at just about the time that this bike was completed, so in early 2001. I was playing around with a bunch of different systems trying to come up with a "holy grail" platform. The Empire frame would have been an instrumented testbed to help prove general suspension thoery, and serve as a testbed for other ideas. In the end, the computer simulation become so advanced that the bike was not needed.

dw

Shortbus

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2002
Stuck in the 80s
can you fit a MRP chainguide on a Evil Empire?

...now accepting hate mail...

Hey DW was great meeting you at SnowShoe (I assume it was you I met?), I mentioned my sparkle blue imperial in our short conversation. :D

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
ViolentVolante said:
dave im still waiting on the $3500 Evil version of the IH DW link DH frame, how does next year sound :p
How about I sell you a $2200 dwDH frame and dw sells you custom Evil stickers for $1300?

The new Iron Horse frame is quality. It's being made in the USA, has proprietary tubing, and 100% designed by dw himself. This ain't the IH of old!

-ska todd

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
ska todd said:
How about I sell you a $2200 dwDH frame and dw sells you custom Evil stickers for $1300?

The new Iron Horse frame is quality. It's being made in the USA, has proprietary tubing, and 100% designed by dw himself. This ain't the IH of old!

-ska todd
Especially not if the frame is $2200... did you guys move to Califonia?

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Slugman said:
Especially not if the frame is $2200... did you guys move to Califonia?
Cali? pffft right...like we'd ever do that! :eviltongu

Neu Yawk!

-ska todd

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
ska todd said:

-ska todd
:eek:

note to self:
forward this to miss pizarro

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
ska todd said:

-ska todd

Is Kinesis doing the welding/fabrication?

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
dw said:
dw-link came about at just about the time that this bike was completed, so in early 2001. I was playing around with a bunch of different systems trying to come up with a "holy grail" platform. The Empire frame would have been an instrumented testbed to help prove general suspension thoery, and serve as a testbed for other ideas. In the end, the computer simulation become so advanced that the bike was not needed.

dw
Cool, crazy crazy stuff! May I ask what program the Empire pics were rendered in (looks *kinda* like Solidworks but I'm not familiar enough to really know)?

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Oh man... I remember that frame.

It was SO secret.
I thought dave was going to make me sign a huge stack of non-disclosure docs before he sent me the Zip file full of pics.
Back in the BikeDawgz days...

Speaking of which... what ever happended to that Burley HT company that came out of that. Shoot... I can't remember the name. I think the dude's name was Ben. Cameron and Ben...