Quantcast

Rekindling an old flame (bike-related!)

Fathead

Monkey
May 6, 2003
SE TX
The trails around here have been wet ALL year, and riding the mtb on the streets is getting old. I think it's about time to take the road bike down, dust 'er off, and get a few miles under me.

Just thinking about it reminds me of some of the good times we had way back when (she was my "only" during college):

- Night rides: downtown Houston around midnight. Just a few guys on bikes, some cabs, and the Urban Animals (old-school quad skaters). I felt that tightness in my chest fighting the wind whipping between the skyscrapers.

- Bob Marley Day: no worries about parking, car getting busted up or stolen, nada. Lots o' brew and other yummies. Sunny spring days but the evenings cooled off (doesn't happen in the summer). The ride home felt faster than anything ever ;)

- Street festivals: The funky part o' town had a great art festival. Live bands every few blocks, more yummies, hazy rides home.

Commuting to school/work was seldom as fun. Flats, asshat motorists, and bad neighborhoods alone after dark. But, that which don't kill us. . .

What kinda non-biking fun has your bike taken you to/from?

=[Stinky]=

I like bagels and turkey sandwiches
Sep 9, 2001
Atlanta YEAAAHHH!
Dr's say I need to get a roadbike, and not ride MTB for a while... aha, so I put slicks on my DJ bike. Its great tho. I have been trying to get out for atleast a hour long nightride as many nights I can during the week. I love the MTB with slicks, I can still hop up and down curbs, cut thru the grass, and have a healthy disregard for potholes.