Quantcast

reducing travel on '04 marzocchis?

E

endtroducing

well, the time has come for me to get some suspension (the rigid fork that was gracious lent to me by a friend has been sold.)

There appears to be a drought of used '03 qr Flicks on the market at the moment, so i'm looking at picking up a new Drop Off II or DJ III. I'm leaning towards the Z1 because i don't think i'm so much a hack as to justify the 2 extra pounds. In either case, both forks are much too tall in their stock configration, and I would need to reduce them to about 90mm to preserve me precious head angle. I've heard through the grapevine that the 2004 forks, unlike older bombers, are quite difficult if not impossible to shorten. Can anyone confirm this? Has anyone reduced one successfully and/or can provide instructions on how to do so?

thanks.

Zoso

Monkey
Jan 31, 2003
Seattle
Step 1: Remove lowers
2: Remove spring assembly
3: Use c-clip tool to remove the c-clips holding the cartridges in the stanchion
4: remove cartridge and disassemble.
5: Add more top-out springs to the current stack. If you add an inch of top-out springs, that will reduce your travel by an inch, etc.
6: Reassemble everything and fill the oil.
Done.

40ozrepresent

Honestly ive never reduced an 04 but ive changed the travel on at least 5 bombers over the years and its not all that hard,its a little messy but if you follow the manual and have mechanical ability you will be fine.You can also get the instructions off the marzocchi website.