Quantcast

Recommendations for 29" XC wheelset?

Mike Stone

Chimp
Jul 15, 2002
Danbury CT
I was looking to get a new set of wheels for my Kelly Ro Sham Bo 29" hardtail. Non-disc brake for cross country use, mostly riding dirt roads and jeep trails, I will probably use 1.75" tires.

Recommendations on wheels and where to buy them? - Thanks!

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
mike - look at ebay and also go to your LBS and see what you can get build up via Quality Bike Parts wheelbuilding program - might be a great way to get great bang for the buck.

YOu might be able to find some great deals on slightly used non disc wheelsets via ebay or mtbr.com though.

Good luck.

Mark

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
If you're looking to build up some hoops yourself, I've got a few sets of XTR non-disc hubs built up on 26" rims right now that haven't been used in eons. You'd still need 29" rims / spokes.

Mike Stone

Chimp
Jul 15, 2002
Danbury CT
Quality does have a couple of 29" non-disc wheelsets listed with XT hubs. One set has Salsa Delgado Cross rims that are 22.5 mm wide, I'm not sure if that is enough width to suport a 1.75" (44mm) tire. The other uses a Mavic A719 rim which Mavic does not show on their site, so again I am not sure if it is right for my application.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
...One set has Salsa Delgado Cross rims that are 22.5 mm wide, I'm not sure if that is enough width to suport a 1.75" (44mm) tire...
When 29ers started making an appearance, plenty of folks ran this rim with the few tires that were available. If memory serves, they were 2.0 or 2.1 tires.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
the A719 is a freakin' tank. given the trail types that you mentioned, and the tire size, i'd go with whatever hub and some DT RR1.1s.