Quantcast

Recommend me some more books, please.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
This worked really well last time I asked.

I have read:
Survivor by the fight club guy
Naked by some gay dude
and two Jimmy Buffet books.

got anymore suggestions?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
If you want fantasy or science fiction suggestions, I'll give them, but i'm not familiar with those books.

And by science fiction, I don't mean Star Trek (NTTAWWT :) ), I mean fiction that pushes the boundaries of science as we currently know it.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
If you want fantasy or science fiction suggestions, I'll give them, but i'm not familiar with those books.

And by science fiction, I don't mean Star Trek (NTTAWWT :) ), I mean fiction that pushes the boundaries of science as we currently know it.

I'd take some of those. I just finished working my way through the Foreigner sequence by CJ Cheryh and I really like that.

gg

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle

gimmie a list of books you've read and enjoyed. I like to keep an open mind and see where it leads me...

pigboy

in a galaxy far, far away
altered carbon by Richard K Morgan. a good sci fi book. a hard-boiled detective novel. also Market Forces by the same author. Unfortunately his 2nd novel, Broken Angels wasn't so good. I wouldn't recommend that one.

non-fiction: Omnivore's Dilemma. a great book about food

Niq1

Chimp
Jul 12, 2006
I've been reading James A Michener recently.
Mostly sort of historical fiction type stuff- pretty decent prose, 1,000+ page lengths.
I'm working my way through Texas right now, Alaska was pretty good.
I also rather liked Iberia- a sort of rambling travel memoir of two-plus decades spent visiting Spain.

And oh yeah- if you haven't read The Zombie Survival Guide, you will not be prepared.

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
Stranger in a Strange Land,- By Robert Heinlein

47 Rules of Highly Effective Bank Robbers,-Troy Cook

The Stand, -Steven King

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I'd take some of those. I just finished working my way through the Foreigner sequence by CJ Cheryh and I really like that
gg
gimmie a list of books you've read and enjoyed. I like to keep an open mind and see where it leads me...
I'm commenting on authors, not individual books, cuz it takes more work to find a good book rather than a good writer.

NOT RECOMMENDED
Alistair Reynolds -- I've only read one of his books, but I got 500 pages into "Revelation Space", slammed it shut and hoped all the characters died. I may be biased now, but I won't be reading his stuff any more.

KINDA RECOMMENDED
Steve Cash -- I read "The Meq" and while it's a broad historical, well-writen adventure of discovery, within and without, he uses too much deus ex machina. The 'short stories' within the big adventure, are excellent, but the main story arc is a bit flawed. If that doesn't bother you and you love character development and the side stories within a book, then this is for you.

RECOMMENDED
But don't read more than two in a row since they're so similar in structure, character development that the third book will actually annoy you. Still, good-to-awesome reads, extremely well developed and researched, and good characters.

Robert J. Sawyer

-- I've read:
  • Calculating God
    Flashforward
    Factoring Humanity
    Hominids
    Hybrids
    End of an Era
    Frameshift

Dan Brown -- I've read: da Vinci Code, Angels and Demons, Deception POint, and Digital Fortress. All very good reads, extremely well researched, and just fun adventures. He's an amazing story teller and a horrible writer. Not only does he uses the "suddenly" concept way too fvcking much, he actually used the word twice in one sentence (forgot which book). If you get annoyed by bad writing, avoid. But if you can ignore it and enjoy the story, these are for you.

Sawyer and Brown: Read any of them that sound interesting, they're all good, but mix in other authors in between.

RECOMMENDED
Somehow these authors are able to use the same environment (world, timeline, whatever) without being absurdly redundant.

FANTASY genre
Jim Butcher -- current favorite author. He has two series going:Dresden Files -- he's a private investigator in modern day Chicago and a wizard. He's got a good heart and sometimes more power than he's able to handle.

NOTE: The first book of the Dresden Series is his first book ever. Story is very good, but not very well writen. You can see him develop as an author over the first five books, where he becomes, in my opinion, a true writer. Don't let that stop you, just sayin'...

PRIMARY STORY ARCS
  • His parents aren't completely human (no more spoilers than that) and even he doesn't know the truth, yet.
    His only true love of his life gets bitten by a vampire, but I can't say more.
    He's pissed off the White Council -- group that manages wizards -- but continues to keep their legal judgement on hold and they even sometimes come to him for his help.
    THE BEST PART is, while minor, that you spend a dozen pages or so in each book watching him research and understand magic while he attempts something new. It borders on scientific.
    Good and evil: he works closely with direct servants of God on occassion while juggle an evil inside of him, literally. In a later book, he gets 'possessed', but because of his enormous power, he holds off the possession.
umm, sorry, just a an amazing series of books if you like the genre. It's not quite Harry Potter grown up, cursing, having sex, killing, etc., but it's kinda close.Also, Dresden Files (8 books so far) is in production for the Sci-Fi Network. Looks promising and will air starting in January 2007.His other series just is on book two, looks very good so far.

Kage Baker -- Primary novels about "The Company" involve time travel, historical exploration, scientific explanations. My favorite of the series involve the cyborgs Joseph and Lewis.

Simon Green -- complete fluff, totally fun, similar to Dresden Files (above). Takes place in modern London UK. Kinda of books that you can read one after another, not get bored, discover new aspects of the primary characters. Just lots of fun that take little effort to read.

Along the lines of absolutely fun fluffy reading: Terry Pratchett's "Discworld Series". If it sounds interesting, read it.

Probably the most diverse author I read is Orson Scott Card. -- Might just be the best pure writer. All of his stuff is simply awesome... except for pretty much the fifth or sixth book in any series (Ender, Homecoming, Alvin). He's amazing at development (character, story, etc), but he apparently and obviously gets bored around book 5-6. The good thing is, he recognizes it and STOPS. Then starts a whole new world that is totally worth it.

Back to straight-up Science Fiction...
Jack McDevitt -- must be one of the best SCIENCE Fiction story tellers. He tries to explain stuff that we have almost no knowledge of yet. And it's completely believeable. He's also a relatively new professional, full-time author (see Butcher) and he also develops over his books. If you don't want to read all his books, go straight to "Polaris", then "Seeker"... where he really develops his art and weaves tales so far fetched that you can't believe that you believe it. I don't want to give much away, but it involves astrophysics that I didn't know was possible. He twists archaelogy and space science.

Last but not least is Neil Gaiman -- I just started reading him and have read "Good Omens" and "Neverwhere". Currently reading "American Gods". He might take over as my favorite current author as he's that good. We'll see.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
fierce invalids home from hot climates by tom robbins....my number one favoreite book of all time....

nh dude

Monkey
May 30, 2003
Vt
for halloween i read shadow child (my roomate said it was good) a month or so ago and it kinda freaked me out cause its not to far from me and we all spend time in the woods
especially if you ever go for any night rides

LeRoy

Monkey
Apr 11, 2002
Wellington - NZ
the fight club guy = chuck palahniuk
Read "Lullaby" by him. It's probably my favorite book.

some gay guy = david sedaris
"dress your family in corduroy and denim" is another collection of his essays and I found it to be a better read than "naked".

An author that I would reccomend is Ryu Murakami. Three books that he has written which I read and really enjoyed are "In the Miso Soup", "Coin Locker Babies", and "69". The is also another writer by the name Murakami(Haruki). He is more literary but also very good. Don't get confused but you wouldn't be doing too badly if you accidently picked up one of his books instead.

nh dude

Monkey
May 30, 2003
Vt
Freakonomics
that is a sick book too
i like the argumentabout the rise in abortion and the drop in criminals because they were being aborted
my teamate oliver (imagine that) got me to read that
the book friday night lights about the football team is way better than the movie also

RaindogT

Monkey
Dec 22, 2005
Kansas City
While David Sedaris is being mentioned, I might add Holidays on Ice-- just in time to ring in the holidays....

Noone mentioned Huxley's brave new world?

A little lighter than brave new world-- I really liked blue highways by william least heat-moon.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
What about Kim Stanley Robinson's Red Mars trilogy? (Blue Mars, Green Mars) It's a great combonation of science, politics and characters. I also really liked the Three Californias trilogy by the same author - Wild Shore, Pacific Edge, Gold Coast - three different Californias of the future.

His new trilogy on global warming is a little lukewarm, I'm sorry to say.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
The clash of civilizations and the remaking of world order by Samuell P Huntington.
Its really heavy but its a revelation in understanding world politics and the future of man kind regarding to how civilizations will interact with eachother in the future.

Said to be the most or at least one of the most important books written after the cold war...

SkullCrack

Monkey
Sep 3, 2004
PNW
In no particular order:

American Gods - Neil Gaiman

The Diamond Age and Snowcrash- Neal Stephenson

Haunted - Chuck Palahniuk

The Tipping Point and Blink- Malcolm Gladwell

The Promise of Sleep - William C. Dement

Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman! - Richard P. Feynman

I spend a lot of time in my car, so I download books from Audible.com and put them on my iPod. It really makes sitting in traffic more bearable.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Bright Lights Big City - Jay McInerney (sp?) Funny and the second person narrative is brilliant.

I'll think of some more and add on later.

burly50

Where the hell is everyone?
May 13, 2006
Westtown, NY
The Lucifer Principle

What's this one about, roughly? Sounds like one I might like. Thanks

I really enjoyed Dante's "Divine Comedy", written in the 14th century. I got The Portable Dante, translated and edited by Mark Musa, published by Penguin Classics.
Roughly 580 pages but a very fast read. I couldn't put it down. Reading the foot notes regarding the translations, and associated history really helps. If that wasn't provided, most of it would not have made sense to me.

I was also very pleased with "Walden; or, Life In The Woods", written in 1854 by Henry David Thoreau. Not long, but packed with detail and concise. A collection of his observations about life, society, government, human existence and other topics during his 2 year stay in a cabin built with his own hands in the woods near a shore on Walden Pond, located outside Concord Massachusetts. It was an eye opener since all that Thoreau wrote about then, still holds true in today's society.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I've been reading a bit of late. Just finished Easy Prey by John Sanford - not a bad book, I just wish he'd do a bit more with character development. I like the Lucas Davenport character (who is in all of the Prey books), but he doesn't develop the character as much as he should, at least not in this book.

Ishmael by Daniel Quinn is my all-time favorite book. Just started the sequel to it today, called My Ishmael. So far it's along very similar lines to the first one, so I'm liking it.

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
If you like fantasy I am reading the riftwar saga series right now by Raymond E. Feist and am enjoying that a good deal.

-Stardust: Neil Gaiman (fantasy)
-A Sand County Almanac: Aldo Leopold (I guess nature/philosophy?)
-Song for the Blue Ocean: Carl Safina (nature, talks about salmon in the PNW and a couple other things. But its by no means a boring read)