Quantcast

Rear Shock Stroke Question

remrem

Chimp
Jul 31, 2008
Vancouver Island B.C
Hello.

I know that Obtainium only makes 3" stroke springs for all different stroke shocks. I have a titanium spring from my old giant glory that is 3" stroke and my question is will it work properly on my trek session 88 with a 2.75" stroke? will it compromise anything?

thanks

Remi

FOXROX

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
hambur,nj
ii actuly had a similar question..i have a 9.5 inch with a 3'' stroke, will a spring from my 8.75'' shock with a 2.75'' (i think thts the stroke ) fit the 9.5 ?

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
You should be fine, a slong as your not over compressiong the spring, life is good. Might be a little tricky getting it installed because its going to be a bit long for the shock, but I have seen more than a few do exactly what your talking about. It will probably be tight when you put it on the shock, and you will probably need to use some zip ties or something like that to help compress the spring just a touch so you can get the retainer in, but once its in, you should find that you still have zero preload with the adjusters all the way wound off. But your stroke is 2.75 which will never over compress a 3.0 spring.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
ii actuly had a similar question..i have a 9.5 inch with a 3'' stroke, will a spring from my 8.75'' shock with a 2.75'' (i think thts the stroke ) fit the 9.5 ?
Now yours is totally opposite, yours will cause the spring to either bind horribly, or totally fail. Your going to be compressing the spring a quarter inch furhter than it was ever intended.

In either case, the eye to eye has nothing to do with the matter, its about how much stroke the spring and shock are intended to have. Of coarse as the stroke of the shock increases, you generally see longer Ey to Eye's as well.

DHRracer

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
Hello.

I know that Obtainium only makes 3" stroke springs for all different stroke shocks. I have a titanium spring from my old giant glory that is 3" stroke and my question is will it work properly on my trek session 88 with a 2.75" stroke? will it compromise anything?

thanks

Remi
The titainium spring you currently have is it an Obtainium spring?What shock did you have it on and what shock are you wanting to use it on?If it is an Obtainium Ti spring they are designed to provide 3 plus inches of stroke but short enough in overall freelength to fit 2.75" stroke shocks.Depending on shock you may need new performance adapters.Either tell us what shocks or check the web site. www.obtainiumperformanceproducts.com to verify application requirements.

DHRracer

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
See my reply to the first post,same thing applies for you.The only other thing I'll add is that changing bikes and strokes may require a different rate.Either post hear or PM me and I'll help however I can.

Last edited:

remrem

Chimp
Jul 31, 2008
Vancouver Island B.C
The titainium spring you currently have is it an Obtainium spring?What shock did you have it on and what shock are you wanting to use it on?If it is an Obtainium Ti spring they are designed to provide 3 plus inches of stroke but short enough in overall freelength to fit 2.75" stroke shocks.Depending on shock you may need new performance adapters.Either tell us what shocks or check the web site. www.obtainiumperformanceproducts.com to verify application requirements.
No i have an RC ti spring i believe. i bought it off another glory owner so i wasn't to critical of the brand. it fits on a dhx sized for the glory fine without any adapters. i only brought obtainium into it because they only make a 3 inch stroke spring for all sized shocks. I thought it wold be fine to use my 3 inch stoke ti spring to replace the 2.75 spring in my session . just wanted to be sure it was OK and it wouldn't lessen the performance of the shock.

Remi

remrem

Chimp
Jul 31, 2008
Vancouver Island B.C
sorry guys i screwed up the info a tad. it is a 3.25X450 RCS spring. the end to end length of the spring is approx 6.8 inches. from what i can tell for your answers is that it will work. i just want to be sure

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Though the "bind" is an issue with steel springs, would a Ti one bind? Being that the coil is spread apart so much more than a steel? EC

DHRracer

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
sorry guys i screwed up the info a tad. it is a 3.25X450 RCS spring. the end to end length of the spring is approx 6.8 inches. from what i can tell for your answers is that it will work. i just want to be sure
It may work for you,but if you have to compress the spring to get it on and the spring does not return to its relaxed freelength you will have allready induced preload.It will effect the load curve of the spring(not rate)(this may open a can of worms).If you can install it with no or very little preload you should be fine.However if you're changing bikes with different stroke and travel the rate may not work for you.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Though the "bind" is an issue with steel springs, would a Ti one bind? Being that the coil is spread apart so much more than a steel? EC
Yeah I dont think Binding would an issue with the Ti spring, but over compressing still will wear the spring far before its lifespan, I am of coarse talking about the 2.75 spring on a 3 in stroke shock.

It may work for you,but if you have to compress the spring to get it on and the spring does not return to its relaxed freelength you will have allready induced preload.It will effect the load curve of the spring(not rate)(this may open a can of worms).If you can install it with no or very little preload you should be fine.However if you're changing bikes with different stroke and travel the rate may not work for you.

Yeah a 3.25 spring on a 2.75 is pretty long, That will do just like DHracer says, and will end up never coming to a relaxed position.