Quantcast

Rear derailleur options

stumpjump

Monkey
Sep 14, 2007
DC
Im running a 22-32 in front and an 11-34 cassette in back. Im in the market for a new rear derail and I want to see what you guys thinks the best options are. My old x9 wore out but I want to see if there is anything better out there. I want something strong as hell that shifts well. Looked at SLX and saint but Im not sure what I would get for my XC bike. Could I go medium cage for this setup? All recommendations appreciated.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
You can run a medium cage with that setup, no problem.
I'd say a SLX or XT rear der. and shifters would do great for XC/AM.

stumpjump

Monkey
Sep 14, 2007
DC
Any specific model to look for? Ive always been a SRAM man until now. What about running saint? Is that possible?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
You have to pair the shifter and derailleur brand wise, so if you don't want a new shifter too, you need to stick with Sram. X.9 is solid, do that.

If you're buying shifters too, you could jump to Shimano.

nutz

Chimp
Oct 2, 2010
I would go to XO rear, if you swap to shimano your gonna need to do the rear shifter as well

if you make the jump to shimano I would do XT, saint needs a thru axle weighs what 3 or 4 XT rears weigh :? unless you focous more on the crash and burn saint should be for the DH/FR market

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
I would go to XO rear, if you swap to shimano your gonna need to do the rear shifter as well

if you make the jump to shimano I would do XT, saint needs a thru axle weighs what 3 or 4 XT rears weigh :? unless you focous more on the crash and burn saint should be for the DH/FR market
not true, new saint 810 derailleur does not require a through axel and is only 23 grams heavier then a xt derailleur.