Quantcast

Rear derailleur for 5s setup

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
So I want to try a 5 speed setup on my DH bike. I don't need more range than a road cassette, but would rather have bigger jumps between gears. I just don't need 9 or 10. I've been running an old DuraAce RD, and after 6(?) years on my DH bike it's pretty trashed. I've got another Sram shifter derailleur setup, but the way the limit screws are arranged, it doesn't work to just put the low limit screw way in to accommodate the 5 speed arrangement. The DA is good on this front, but it's beat to ****. So I need a new derailleur. I'm thinking ideally I'll get a 10s Shimano, either a Zee or a Saint, and do the cable clamp plate trick to run it with the X.0 9 speed shifter I already have, but I'd rather make sure it'll work with the limit screw in before I buy one. Anyone tried this?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
longer set screws from ace or fastenal?
Won't work. The geometry of the parallelogram is such that the tab that engages the set screw isn't even in line with the screw until it's near the normal limit.

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
Maybe if both limit screws are used? So you move the block more to the middle of the freehub.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Thread a nut on the end of the screw?
Nope, in that far it'll interfere with the derailleur motion entirely.

Maybe if both limit screws are used? So you move the block more to the middle of the freehub.
I want to run an 11t.

I want to use newer stuff than that, plus I already have a couple good 9s shifters. Plus that doesn't give me nearly the jumps I want. Current plan is 11-13-16-20-25.

Thanks for the suggestions though.

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
So to simplify this, does anyone with a Zee or Saint clutch derailleur know if it's possible to block the derailleur into the middle of its range on the low end?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Could you just mod the shifter so it won't move past a certain point?
I messed with my older Saint shifter to limit it to one click per push, shouldn't be hard to put a stopper on the shifting plate thingy.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Probably wouldn't hold and may cause the cable to snap after a while, dunno if it would be worth a shot........

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I want to run an 11t.
This makes me think you're probably running a 36-38T ring

In which case...
Current plan is 11-13-16-20-25.
Makes no sense to me, ie. why would you want a 25T cassette sprocket on a DH bike? Do you ride it UPHILL too?

Also, why don't you just use another old Dura Ace or Ultegra mech?

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I'm running a 36t ring. Some trails have short uphill sections. Sometimes I'm just pedaling to the lift line, but I'm lazy. I do use the 25 sometimes.

I figured if I was going to buy a new derailleur to make this happen it might as well be one of the newfangled clutch ones. they're pretty nifty.