Quantcast

real quick blindside spring rates

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Hey everyone, all last season i struggled to get my blindside shock set up as firm as I would like it (dhx 5.0). I really want to get a ti spring for it but need to make sure I am running the proper weight.

What are you blindside rider's weights and spring weights?

I am about 180 fully geared up (prob 165 off bike)...I am running a 500 lb spring which still seems soft...Any recommended setup tips here? Not like I am a rookie at shock setups.:monkey:

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Are you actually experiencing bottoming or does it just 'feel' soft to push on it or bounce it when you're sitting on it? Reason I ask is because I'm almost exactly your weight geared up, I'm running a 500# spring on my Roco WC and it's perfect. If you sit on it and give it the 'parking lot squish test,' it feels a bit soft; but it behaves perfectly on the course.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
There were a few times last year at whistler where i was thinking damn this thing is soft, which i really dont like at all. What are your settings? PSI? Rebound?

Let me know, ill try tweaking it tonight and see how it feels in the all important living room test since we are burried in snow.

Eren

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2006
mill creek, WA (now in Surrey UK)
Hey everyone, all last season i struggled to get my blindside shock set up as firm as I would like it (dhx 5.0). I really want to get a ti spring for it but need to make sure I am running the proper weight.

What are you blindside rider's weights and spring weights?

I am about 180 fully geared up (prob 165 off bike)...I am running a 500 lb spring which still seems soft...Any recommended setup tips here? Not like I am a rookie at shock setups.:monkey:
we weigh the same geared up. whats wierd is i ran a vivid so i know its usually 50lb less then the DHX but i ran a 450 on the blindside, although it was a little soft, i absolutly loved it in whistler, i suppose everyone has their own taste however.

edit: by the way sorry i didnt help any. . .

ride

Monkey
Jan 11, 2005
I weigh 155-160 and have been alternating between a 350 and a 400.
Both springs are Obtanium ti, on a Fox DHX 5.0
180 psi in the can, bottom out all the way out, propedal turned all the way in.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
I weigh 245 and I run a 550

According to TfT suspensions, you should be riding a 404lb spring, so a 400 would be for you for a plush 33% sag

And a 431 for a firmer Freeride sag of 28%

Last edited:

slowracer

Chimp
May 14, 2006
The issue with the blindside is that the leverage ratio at the first 1/3 - 1/2 of the travel is very high compared to the average ratio. This causes normal spring rate calculations i.e. tftuned etc. to give really soft ride characteristic. If you follow tftnued recommended spring rate, then ur blindside will ride to wallowy and will sink too much on g-outs and berms. It also means that the rear end can be too active and normal fast rebound setting on other bikes can be uncontrollable on the blindside.

We run two blindsides on the team, mine is one of them. Both the bikes are setup similarly now as these are the best settings we find works best for the blindside so far. I've also setup another non-team Blindside similarly.

Rider 1: 78kg/172lbs fully kitted
Large Blindside
550lbs spring on Vivid
12 clicks Beginning rebound
6 clicks Ending rebound

Rider 2: 63kg/138lbs fully kitted
Medium Blindside
450lbs spring on DHX5
Slow rebound setting, cant remember number of clicks but
matches the vivid's rebound speed.

FYI the riders are in Jr Expert and Master/Open Expert class.

The idea is to slow down the rebound more than u usually do on other bikes.
Both the harder spring and slower rebound works to complement the leverage curve of the blindside.

Ideally we would like more LSC on the shocks, so we can go 50-100 lower on the spring rate. Next service interval maybe?

Hope it helps...