Quantcast

Real Pics of the 2009/10 Boxxer

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
seems to be using the same maxle system, that alone would put me off :(

Well, if the maxle system still confuses you it's probably best you don't get a fork with so many complicated adjustments. For the rest of us who know how to properly apply greae and use an allen wrench that fork looks like the best thing since, well . . . since the last Boxxer really:cheers:

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
Well, if the maxle system still confuses you it's probably best you don't get a fork with so many complicated adjustments. For the rest of us who know how to properly apply greae and use an allen wrench that fork looks like the best thing since, well . . . since the last Boxxer really:cheers:
he he..but I have a admit that the old BoXXer maxle could be problematic at times.

the Maxle on the new BoXXer is new - quite different from the current BoXXer maxle.

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Let's hope they've got the seals sorted this time. [cough] Totem [/cough].

I like the look of it and love the idea of being able to adjust the volume of the air chamber (this was what the solo air spring was always crying out for in my opinion) but there's no way in hell I'll be signing up for this until all the guinea pigs/early adopters have proven it to be reliable and durable. Frankly, Rock Shox doesn't hold much weight with me at the moment after all my Boxxer problems, but IF they can sort the durability issues, I'm sure it'll be a great fork.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Let's hope they've got the seals sorted this time. [cough] Totem [/cough].

I like the look of it and love the idea of being able to adjust the volume of the air chamber (this was what the solo air spring was always crying out for in my opinion) but there's no way in hell I'll be signing up for this until all the guinea pigs/early adopters have proven it to be reliable and durable. Frankly, Rock Shox doesn't hold much weight with me at the moment after all my Boxxer problems, but IF they can sort the durability issues, I'm sure it'll be a great fork.
I think a lot of the Boxxer durability issues are more maintenance issues. I fixed a kids "blown" Boxxer last weekend at Whiteface simply by taking the lowers off, cleaning them out and relubing the wipers/seal/bushings. I'm still amazed at how many riders don't even know how to do someting that basic (or just choose not to). I've owned every incarnation of the Boxxer since they first came out in 1998 and it is the only fork have I ever used (except for a 1/2 season experiment with a Dorado in '02). Same goes for my brother and neither of us has ever experienced durability problems with the 14-16 forks we've raced on in the past 10 years.

True, it is a lightweight, high performance fork so it isn't going to be bomb proof (i snapped lowers, bent both stanchions and the lower crown in a crash at mt. snow in '01) nor is it designed to be maintenance free. 15 minutes of upkeep a few times a month does wonders to the Boxxer's performance and durability.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I think a lot of the Boxxer durability issues are more maintenance issues. I fixed a kids "blown" Boxxer last weekend at Whiteface simply by taking the lowers off, cleaning them out and relubing the wipers/seal/bushings. I'm still amazed at how many riders don't even know how to do someting that basic (or just choose not to). I've owned every incarnation of the Boxxer since they first came out in 1998 and it is the only fork have I ever used (except for a 1/2 season experiment with a Dorado in '02). Same goes for my brother and neither of us has ever experienced durability problems with the 14-16 forks we've raced on in the past 10 years.

True, it is a lightweight, high performance fork so it isn't going to be bomb proof (i snapped lowers, bent both stanchions and the lower crown in a crash at mt. snow in '01) nor is it designed to be maintenance free. 15 minutes of upkeep a few times a month does wonders to the Boxxer's performance and durability.
Bingo. Boxxer's take maintenance. If you don't like to do regular work on your fork, get a Marzocchi.

big-ted

Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC

Sorry. 3 snapped stanchions (in 7 months) where the circlip retains the rebound piston is not a maintenance issue. It's a design fault.

I realise there are guys out there riding this fork harder than me that don't have this problem, but at the same time I'm aware of about 8 sets of forks locally that have done the same thing, and hear of many more via the interwebz.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Sorry. 3 snapped stanchions (in 7 months) where the circlip retains the rebound piston is not a maintenance issue. It's a design fault.

I realise there are guys out there riding this fork harder than me that don't have this problem, but at the same time I'm aware of about 8 sets of forks locally that have done the same thing, and hear of many more via the interwebz.
Yeah the bent (and kind of flexy to begin with) stanchions are what always kept me away from boxxers. I just worked on a 130lb chick's fork that had a bent stanchion. Suspension quality has been great the last few years so the bigger fork has me stoked. Early 09......hell yeah!!

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802

Clearly that is not a maintenance issue, but I'm curious to know if that sort of failure was limited to a small run of stanchions only. I've never seen a stanchion that snapped in that spot or know anyone who has had something similar happen to their fork, and i've encountered a fair number of Boxxer owners over the years. Any chance you have a picture of what happened?

as far as i know, the only widespread issue with durability was cracked rebound base valves some time around '02?

as far as bent/broken stanchions and lowers, I think that will be a risk with any DH fork as long as riders still demand light weight. and you don't have to be heavy or fast to do it.

Last edited:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
New boxxxxxxer looks promising for sure. Any info on weight?

And I can't help but wonder how many people are going to sell their DH bikes now, order a new Boxxer and a DW-Linked DHR for next season, and then complain when they have nothing to ride or have to deal with first-run issues.

davet

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
Clearly that is not a maintenance issue, but I'm curious to know if that sort of failure was limited to a small run of stanchions only. I've never seen a stanchion that snapped in that spot or know anyone who has had something similar happen to their fork, and i've encountered a fair number of Boxxer owners over the years. Any chance you have a picture of what happened?
I've got 2 buddies with Boxxer Teams, one 06 and one 07 that had failures exactly the same as big-ted's.

I heard that the circlip area was changed in 07, but some of the early 07's had the older stanchions in them.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

And I can't help but wonder how many people are going to sell their DH bikes now, order a new Boxxer and a DW-Linked DHR for next season, and then complain when they have nothing to ride or have to deal with first-run issues.
Well you're the one riding a revamped first year v-10 and a revamped new damper catridge equipped fox 40

How's that goin for ya? :D

big-ted

Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC

as far as i know, the only widespread issue with durability was cracked rebound base valves some time around '02?

as far as bent/broken stanchions and lowers, I think that will be a risk with any DH fork as long as riders still demand light weight. and you don't have to be heavy or fast to do it.
I agree with your last point. If I crash and something brakes, it's my fault. You wont find me coming on here and winging about it. It's par for the course.

I'm afraid I never took pics of my fork. After it happened once to mine and a few times to buddies I learned to diagnose the problem without disassembling the fork. Basically, the circlip groove in the base of the stanchion housing the damping cartridge doesn't leave behind enough material. Over time, the groove becomes a crack and the bottom mm or so of stanchion falls off, dumping the damping oil, plunger rod and piston into the lowers.

I keep ranting about this, and if anyone's keeping score they're probably getting tired of it by now, but my fork left me stranded 3 times. Once 3 days before leaving for Crankworks, once a week before the BC cup provincial finals, and most recently 4 days before leaving for Psychosis. I'm now tainted and bitter, and I apologise for that. In fairness, I should re-iterate that every time Sram were super helpful and fast getting the fork sorted under warranty.

You say you've never heard of this specific issue, but I've spoken to a few of the Sram Blackbox team riders and all are very familiar with it. One, who I wont name, even suggested they'd changed the design for the 2009 Boxxer (I assume he was referring to the 2009 32mm stanchion forks). The mechanics at Crankworks were playing dumb as most riders associate the problem with a "blown rebound cartridge". I saw a few riders take their forks to the Sram tent and I could tell they had broken the stanchion. The rider said, "I've blown the rebound cartridge, is there any chance you can help me?"

The mechanic would play along and say, "Yep, it's $80 for a rebuild." That was pretty harsh if you ask me.

Anyway, as I've said, I'm tainted and bitter by my experiences with this fork. I always loved the suspension action, and I never had a problem with stiffness, (although I'm not sure I could go back having spent some time with a 888 now). It'll take a hell of a lot to win me back to the Rock Shox tent now.

Last edited:

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark

I can tell you one thing that will not be me this time but I understand why people would be tempted.

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
Im loving the forks, the only thing Im not to sure of is the decals on the uppers, but it's something new and it gives the fork and independent look from the older versions. Im stocked cause I think they've improved. I mean... start and end stroke independent rebound, fast and slow compresion, bottom out resistent, what else could you want?

Commencal-guy

Monkey
Nov 25, 2007
Massachusetts, US of A
Im loving the forks, the only thing Im not to sure of is the decals on the uppers, but it's something new and it gives the fork and independent look from the older versions. Im stocked cause I think they've improved. I mean... start and end stroke independent rebound, fast and slow compresion, bottom out resistent, what else could you want?
i pod charger for longer lasting music while riding.:happydance:

geetarhero

Chimp
Sep 13, 2006
Scotland
Thanks for reminding me why i usually avoid posting on this forum.:cheers:

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
HOT SEXY MAMA:cupidarrow::cupidarrow:

I wonder how beginning stroke and ending stroke rebound feels in a front fork.
should be a great addition. the problem w/ a lot of dh forks (and the Boxxer in particular) is that they end up rebounding too quickly at the beginning of the stroke and just right deeper in the travel, or they are just right at the beginning and too slow towards the end. most of us settle for the former because that is what makes the fork feel best overall. but with a little more beginning stroke rebound it is a lot harder to lose the front wheel in flat, slower speed corners. As it is now the Boxxeer has a tendency to have too little slow speed rebound (beginning stroke) and some riders complain that when the fork is leaned over in corners it makes the front wheel feel like it is going to wash out as the fork rebounds too quickly over smaller bumps (stones, roots, chipmunks, etc). See Sam Hill's crash at worlds as a possible example.

so in theory you should be able to run your fork to feel 'glued' to the ground in corners and relatively flatter terrain w/out getting all packed up when things get rougher.

Last edited:

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Didn't he run the new Boxxer at the worlds.
yeah, but he crashed trying to alter the laws of physics, not because his fork was set up wrong. that crash is an example (though exaggerated) of you a fork riding in the top of it's travel can seemingly rebound out from under you in a corner.

klamsi

Chimp
Oct 21, 2007
my own RockShox Mechanic :redface:

Motoking16

Monkey
May 16, 2005
Bend, OR
They look soooo good! The white crowns are wicked!

But I do have to say, the whole "looks flexy thing" is so ridiculously old, GIVE IT UP!!!

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Structurally they look good, I've always disliked the Maxle concept and wished they'd ditch it, although the new system does look tidy, I guess a rooted maxle is better than some pea brained gorilla stripping the axle clamp bolt hole threads.
Decals look terrible, but they have to set up for getter decals in 2011.

RideRMB

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
'Da Hood
I really don't like the look of them. I like the 35mm but the graphics are full retard.
The lowers look just like the lyrik so I am guessing that is the base.
Plus they are taking away a huge part of my business making custom decals. Don't they realize that.:biggrin:
Rufus if I end up with one of those Id pay for a set of red decal replacements for the second "xer".

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
For the rest of us who know how to properly apply greae and use an allen wrench that fork looks like the best thing since, well . . . since the last Boxxer really
Yeah my thoughts on the new fork are, as long as they didn't screw anything major, they just put a bullet in everyone else's neck, AGAIN.

LSC/HSC/LSR/HSR/VOL and knowing RS, each adjuster will actually work too - always a nice bonus. BOS? Haha.

BTW - I've done two stanchions the same way big ted did too, they never bend (that's BS) but the circlip groove at the base of the leg is quite shallow and breaks away at that point. I'm not quite sure if it's bad luck or if there's an actual cause, because it was 2 years before I did my first one. I'd be almost certain they updated this in the new one though, there would have been enough warranty cases. And IMO this is the only legitimate problem with the last boxxer, each and every other problem was either updated or easily self-solvable.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia

there you go.

i am excited about this boxxer too, just hopefully they get their QC act together. hopefully the team would be priced reasonably.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
seems to be using the same maxle system, that alone would put me off :(
Boxxer Maxle is superb, I love it. One 6mm allen key and a wheel is in or out in 10 seconds. SO much better than pinch bolts. If I could buy a retrofittable maxle for my frame, I would.

On the weights, Solo Air is almost the same, whereas team has shaved half a pound off. I presume they've got ti springs now then.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Jim did this to his 08s at the National Champs at Bala this year, he wasn't very pleased as he cruised across the line on a pogo stick :(

I've never had that problem yet, I'm glad to say!

geetarhero

Chimp
Sep 13, 2006
Scotland
Boxxer Maxle is superb, I love it. One 6mm allen key and a wheel is in or out in 10 seconds. SO much better than pinch bolts. If I could buy a retrofittable maxle for my frame, I would.
Prefer pinch bolts myself. I'm never in that much of a hurry to get my wheel off. More maintenance than i feel an axle should require.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Prefer pinch bolts myself. I'm never in that much of a hurry to get my wheel off. More maintenance than i feel an axle should require.
Maintenance??? I've never done any maintenance to mine and I've had it over two years.

Step away from the pressure washer :p

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
it's less maintenance than having to loosen 5 bolts to get your axel out. a little water proof grease when it comes out of the box and that's it for the rest of the season.