Quantcast

Reading tires: the proper way

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
I realize theres a giant tire thread and I've gathered a good amount of information from it. However, I'd like to learn how to read tires better to get an idea of how they are going to perform prior to getting them on the trail.

I think I have a basic idea already, however... I find myself being surprised all the time by different tires so maybe I'm not as sharp as I hoped. I'd like to be able to translate this information to customers as well.

What can you recommend.

For example.. I love the cornering and sidehilling abilities of my Highrollers. However that vague, skating feeling they give on the hard pack/loose gravely shiz freaks me out so I'm looking for a tire that will keep similar properties in all other aspects but feel more planted.
Do I look for a square profile with a square outside lug?

Any tips are appreciated in helping me to better understand and use my rubber.

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
Any tips are appreciated in helping me to better understand and use my rubber.

Put it on the tip and roll it all the way on before inserting. Ribbed it better.

Sorry, if I didn't some else would have.

When you say "loose gravely shiz" do you literally mean gravel or a surface similar to gravel? ie small loose rocks over hardpack?

Either way way there will always be some "skating" on that type of surface. A large volume blocky type tread pattern will better than other types but no tire will eliminate that feeling.

Last edited:

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
That 'skating' feeling you're getting from the high rollers is only existant when you're transitioning to the side lugs as there aren't any intermediate knobs. Once you're on them they catch hardpack and loose-over like it's nobodys business. Just trust them when you feel that initial 'drift' and lean them over a little more. You'd be hard pressed to find more than a handfull of tires that corner as well.

go-ride.com

Monkey
Oct 23, 2001
Salt Lake City, UT
DHF Minion 2.5 front and a High Roller rear. That's my favorite combo for varying conditions. The DHF is much more predictable in the gravel over hard pack. When things get really nasty I go to a Muddy Mary 2.5 front and High Roller rear.

Notes:
1. I have yet to try the HR 2 which is supposed to address the vague issues with the HR in loose over hardpack conditions.
2. If you are going to continue to run the HR on the front it helps to cut a "V" shaped sipe in each of the wide ramped paddle knobs. That gives the HR more transition traction on lean-in.

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
[/That 'skating' feeling you're getting from the high rollers is only existant when you're transitioning to the side lugs as there aren't any intermediate knobs. Once you're on them they catch hardpack and loose-over like it's nobodys business. Just trust them when you feel that initial 'drift' and lean them over a little more. You'd be hard pressed to find more than a handfull of tires that corner as well.
No, it's not. I can feel it going straight down the trail. I know what you're talking about but, this was certainly not "only when transitioning".
On my night ride last week we got on a straight away with loose small rock over hardpack it felt like my rear hub with loose and was wobbling with 3/4" of play. I've never experienced that with Rocket Rons, Nevegals, Captains, Edges, DHR's, DH24's, Wolverines or just about any other tire I've ridden on this trail.
That's why I want to learn about how to read a tire design. I want to know what about the Highroller is causing it feel like its "shimmying" and not grabbing traction underneath me. If I were to call something out I'd say that the pointed portion of the center lugs were creating a highpoint and allowing the tire to "search" for traction, however... running 30psi the tire was able to conform to the ground better than just grabbing the tips of the center lug.

I suppose I knew that in loose over hardpack I'll always have a skating feel, however... the Highroller is far more pronounced that any other tire.

I appreciate the tire recommendations but my goal is to be able to find the source of my issue and see what needs to happen to change that, whether it's cutting the tire or looking for similar yet different treads.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
Was going to say, PSI will make a difference. They are fairly high lugs, so they will wobble around a bit if you have them at a high pressure. If you're riding hardpack mostly, try another low lugged tire. High rollers are best for loose over, imo, but still fair well on hardpack with the right pressure.

Last edited:

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
look for kidwoo's thread on the new vs old high roller tread. the OP explains a lot about what you are feeling.

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
My opinion (and this is only opinion) is that the reason the HR1 is skatey in gravelly conditions is that the shape of the center knobs make it more difficult to cut through the gravel and find a solid surface to grip. The HR1 has a few things working against it for gravel: low profile center knobs, lots of ramping. The low profile knobs mean they may not be able to punch deep enough to find solid traction, and the tire carcass ends up riding on the gravel. The ramped knobs will also restrict the knobs ability to penetrate through the gravel.

The HR2 looks a little better for your conditions, but I reckon an Excavator might be your best bet in loose/gravelly stuff. I handcut my Excavator for better cornering (lower the height of the intermediate knobs 50% to allow better engagement of the shoulder knobs). I generally prefer Maxxis over Kenda, but that Excavator does have its merits in certain conditions.