Quantcast

RC4 Tuning Thread

SthFRider

Monkey
Apr 16, 2008
Atlanta,Ga
The RC4 tuning thread. What are your settings? How do they vary for different trails?

On a side note. Is there anyway to get a RC4 back to stock setting. I want to retune mine but i forgot how many clicks/turns i did. If you turn the knobs all the way one direction will it stop or just keep spinning? Any help would be great. Thanks

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
350# spring, 160psi, full linear, 6 out LSC, 6 out rebound, either 6 out or 8 out HSC depending on the trail (two clicks out for lots of rocks and square edges for a nice blowoff, two clicks in for big g-outs and slapdown landings with the back end).

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Adjust knob first, and then set pressure.

Two reasons - the knob is easier to turn with no pressure, and the pressure changes when you turn the knob, so best to set pressure last. Be sure not to cycle the shock without pressure though.

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
I ride a DWLINK DHR so I use the settings they have on the turner site.
but I use a harder coil (350 insted of the recomended 300)
and I use one click only of HSC.

ritche

Monkey
Dec 3, 2011
1. It was mentioned on the sunday thread of a shortened RC4, like 5mm.
How is this done, any instructions? Is it like cutting the shaft and re-thread?

2. I haved snaped my rebound knob at the shaft of my RC4, I have pulled out the remaining threaded part.
Where can i buy a replacement rebound knob?

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
I'm interested in this stuff to having just picked up a V10c w/ RC4. Never played with one before. Can people include which bike they're riding with their settings? Anyone wanna post up their V10c settings--read the whole V10c thread w/o finding much?

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
I'm interested in this stuff to having just picked up a V10c w/ RC4. Never played with one before. Can people include which bike they're riding with their settings? Anyone wanna post up their V10c settings--read the whole V10c thread w/o finding much?
I have the same frame I'm selling my rc4 and buying a Cane Creek DB Air. I don't want to switch springs when I change travel. Any one else done this?

Mr Nug

Monkey
Aug 26, 2007
UK
I have the same frame I'm selling my rc4 and buying a Cane Creek DB Air. I don't want to switch springs when I change travel. Any one else done this?
I've got a DBAir on my V10 having had a vivid air on there. I've only been out on it once though due to being away for the Christmas/New Year holidays so not totally happy with the setup yet.

There's a slight knock at the start of the travel which apparently is quite common and isn't noticeable on the bike but it's annoying just the same.

In terms of setup, I've got the latest version with the new high flow can and managed to get pretty close to full travel without any massive hits. There's still some work for me to get the air pressure and progression correct as I've just ridden it with middle settings (extrapolated from DB coil V10 settings) and added 3 small air can spacers but it has the same familiar cane creek grip and feel to it. I went for a 32-35% sag setting for the air pressure but it went through the travel a bit too easily so imagine it either needs to bed in more and have some more air and/or I need some more air can spacers in there.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
hi

i'm bumping this to try to get baseline suggestions or tips for tuning the new RC4 I have on my fury. The fury is mostly linear with a small amount of progression:

I've taken Udi's suggestions for bottom out, which is fully closed with minimum pressure, and his suggestions for compressions as well, which is mostly lots of HSC, and some LSC (about 4-6 clicks out right now and -12 on LSC). Rebound is relatively easy to tune.

What should I watch out for as I tune my shock? Are there any other things to pay attention to as I work my way through?

I generally like the feeling of a lot of LSC that breaks away easily when the speeds get faster, so the bike feels very firm in the lot and while pedaling but moves through it's travel in rock gardens and such.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
hi

i'm bumping this to try to get baseline suggestions or tips for tuning the new RC4 I have on my fury. The fury is mostly linear with a small amount of progression:

I've taken Udi's suggestions for bottom out, which is fully closed with minimum pressure, and his suggestions for compressions as well, which is mostly lots of HSC, and some LSC (about 4-6 clicks out right now and -12 on LSC). Rebound is relatively easy to tune.

What should I watch out for as I tune my shock? Are there any other things to pay attention to as I work my way through?

I generally like the feeling of a lot of LSC that breaks away easily when the speeds get faster, so the bike feels very firm in the lot and while pedaling but moves through it's travel in rock gardens and such.

FWIW, the Tranny guys suggested the bottom out should be backed all the way out for my TR450, but the LC looks more like the Foes Hydro LC versus the almost linear Fury LC.

bengxe

Monkey
Dec 19, 2011
upstate NY
hi

Is this an older rc4 with the boost valve? Or a 2014?