Quantcast

rc4 strip and rebuild

ronan

Monkey
Dec 7, 2007
Toulouse, France
my rc4 started bleeding oil through the shaft seal today and i'm looking to rebuild it myself with new seals due to having confidence after servicing the cartridge on my 40

does anyone have any tips or guides on how to do this? ive never really played with shocks.. any help would be appreciated

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
Here ya go. This is for the DHX 4/5, but it is very similar. Not mine, some MTBR guy made it.

http://www.mediafire.com/?lotejczmzz0

Just be sure to measure your IFP depth before you pull it all apart. I set the IFP depth to 25mm for a 8.5X2.5 RC4.

And make sure you tighten the piston bolt down, don't just snug it as the manual says. It likes to come loose. You will know it's loose if the shock developes a knock on compression/rebound. Don't ride it if you feel this! You can blow the shock apart.

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
Here ya go. This is for the DHX 4/5, but it is very similar. Not mine, some MTBR guy made it.

http://www.mediafire.com/?lotejczmzz0

Just be sure to measure your IFP depth before you pull it all apart. I set the IFP depth to 25mm for a 8.5X2.5 RC4.

And make sure you tighten the piston bolt down, don't just snug it as the manual says. It likes to come loose. You will know it's loose if the shock developes a knock on compression/rebound. Don't ride it if you feel this! You can blow the shock apart.
You risk crushing the shims by over tightening the bolt...Snug is how it should be.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Yeah, snug is how it was until it came loose. Now it is tight and stays that way.

Actually pretty hard to crush the shims unless you are a gorilla. The bolt wall thickness is so minimal I think you might snap it first.
That would happen very easily on older Swingers.

descente

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Sandy Eggo
tighten it and use blue loc tite.

its not hard, just gotta be patient with the bleed process. if you try to rush it you will probably fail.