Quantcast

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Guess I got it wrong on the big box stores. Will have to read up a bit.

As said, I don't have great other local options. There is an Ace that is twice as far away, and usually doesn't have what I'm after. There is another local-ish chain, but they are significantly more expensive as they focus on the high end local Mcmansion denizens as their customer base.

The lesser evil it'll be.

ETA: yep, they both have donated here and there to Republican campaigns and causes, but HD moreso than Lowe's. Lowe's has donated more to leftward/more progressive causes, seems to be more environmentally aware, and seems to be better to employees.

Lowe's it is.

Last edited:

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I have a True Value around the corner. I don't know if it is a corporate entity or a franchise but it is run like a local store. They offer a bunch of strange shit that would only be popular in Seattle. All the employees have been there for the 3 years I have lived here. They loan people hand tools for free, have small weird machine parts I can't find at the box stores.

However, if there are any hardware nerds out there and want to see an awesome hardware store, this place is tourism worthy if you are in Seattle.

Our local Ace is corp owned and you can tell. Their inventory is also shit. Even common stuff for sprinklers they don't have in inventory, but they have Traeger smokers in excessive amounts. Unfortunately our "local" Lowes is 15min away vs. 4min for the HD, and the Lowe's has shit inventory as well. You try to do things "right" but sometimes you just don't have an option. It fucking sucks.

The closest nursery and lumberyard are crazy bible thumper family owned places which I avoid, which also forces me to HD. So fucking annoying.

Last edited:

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Our local Ace is corp owned and you can tell. Their inventory is also shit. Even common stuff for sprinklers they don't have in inventory, but they have Traeger smokers in excessive amounts. Unfortunately our "local" Lowes is 15min away vs. 4min for the HD, and the Lowe's has shit inventory as well. You try to do things "right" but sometimes you just don't have an option. It fucking sucks.

The closest nursery and lumberyard are crazy bible thumper family owned places which I avoid, which also forces me to HD. So fucking annoying.
Bible thumper vs HD is a tough one. Yer F'd either way.
It would probably come down to the quality of the wood.
Also, politically, HD probably has a bit more weight, so keeping their coffers a bit lighter may be the lesser of the two evils...

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
We have Morton Supply and C & H hardware for locally owned find anything places plus a Tacoma Screw. Tacoma Screw kicks ass. Between the three places I can mostly keep out of HD or Lowes unless it's house remodeling outside normal business hours. Lots of locally owned lumber yards to choose from. Of the times I've been in Lowes and HD this year, Lowes has been consistently struggling to maintain inventories while HD seems to be well stocked.

Parker Heights.jpg

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
That said, my Home Depot has a hot dog cart lady, and said HDCL keeps sauerkraut on hand along with brown mustard for toppings. It's a win/win really.
if you don't have kraut and brown mustard for toppings on your hot dog cart....why are you in business.....

and i don't fuck with that shit.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I use my local hardware store every opportunity I get. Shop small business, bitches.

That said, my Home Depot has a hot dog cart lady, and said HDCL keeps sauerkraut on hand along with brown mustard for toppings. It's a win/win really.
The hot dog trailer at out HD and Lowe's both closed because of COVID.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
1. Why
2. How
3. They have a serious problem
Blindly following the GPS. The Lake City side is pretty mellow, the Silverton side, not so much.

Similar to how if you are in Crested Butte and want to get to Aspen, some GPS units will try to send you the short way via Schofield Pass, which is most certainly not suitable for passenger vehicles.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Blindly following the GPS. The Lake City side is pretty mellow, the Silverton side, not so much.

Similar to how if you are in Crested Butte and want to get to Aspen, some GPS units will try to send you the short way via Schofield Pass, which is most certainly not suitable for passenger vehicles.
Last time I drove criss country google maps took me on some dirt road over a pass. Thankfully the road was in good condition and it did save a lot of time but that could have gotten hairy.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008

12+ years ago my car GPS tried to take me over Scofield Pass. I declined :D