Quantcast

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Do you consider something like Ace Hardware a small/local alternative? Only asking because that's about the only real alternative in my locale

I have ab Ace in town I spend WAY too much at, but most larger items are Home Depot but I have been trying to support Lowes if big box. The issue is Lowes keeps failing every time I try. But I will continue to try.

Home Depot was there for me after Katrina, so I have some attachment. But there are the politics involved that lead me to try and stay away from Home Depot.

But that's just me.

18f8w74jc5noxjpg.jpg

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
I may be wrong but HD seems to be a little bit more socially Progressive in terms of to whom and what they donate money and how they treat their employees.

As for the small local business angle? I grew up with a family running a small business and I know how it feels to get squeezed out by Walmart and others. (When Walmart came to the little town where I grew up it laid waste to well pretty much every small local retailer.) But the smaller local alternatives to me generally pretty much never have what I need / want whether it's in a hurry or otherwise.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Anyhow. My lousy woodworking skills on display here for the yard gravestones / Halloween stuff.

Graveyard with lights and sound things that the kids will have to funnel through to get to the bowl of candy. Gravestones will be painted black and gray with various lettering things from Mrs Scrub.

20201019_170256.jpg

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I use my local hardware store every opportunity I get. Shop small business, bitches.

That said, my Home Depot has a hot dog cart lady, and said HDCL keeps sauerkraut on hand along with brown mustard for toppings. It's a win/win really.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I use my local hardware store every opportunity I get. Shop small business, bitches.

That said, my Home Depot has a hot dog cart lady, and said HDCL keeps sauerkraut on hand along with brown mustard for toppings. It's a win/win really.
There used to be one of those at mine back in the day, not sure why no more. In Ashland next to the Ace is a hot dog and noodle cart that does a bang up job at both.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
There used to be one of those at mine back in the day, not sure why no more. In Ashland next to the Ace is a hot dog and noodle cart that does a bang up job at both.
The Ace hardware by me has one of those popcorn machines that churns out buttery, salty popcorn for you to eat while you shop. Neither HD nor Lowes have a hot dog or taco cart. They really need to step it up.

Last edited:

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
I may be wrong but HD seems to be a little bit more socially Progressive in terms of to whom and what they donate money and how they treat their employees.

As for the small local business angle? I grew up with a family running a small business and I know how it feels to get squeezed out by Walmart and others. (When Walmart came to the little town where I grew up it laid waste to well pretty much every small local retailer.) But the smaller local alternatives to me generally pretty much never have what I need / want whether it's in a hurry or otherwise.
In my personal anecdotal experience, having worked at both while in high school in Idaho, its actually the opposite. HD is a corporate fascistic hell hole (with barbaric working hours requirements/conditions) that funnels money to GOP coffers, and Lowes had really good benefits, flexible hours, management that cared about their employees, and an established path to actually making decent money, if you decided you wanted to make the company a career. At HD I saw folks that had been there 10+ years and were still making like $15/hr back in 2001/2002. At Lowes, anyone there longer than 5 years who was really good was poached by corporate or put in change of a location. I left the first place for the second and ended up bringing three friends with me over the next three months.

All else being equal, by all means, please support your local ACE franchise or mom and pop shop first and foremost.

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
All big box stores are the suck but HD (retired) owners support Drumpf and the Rethuglicans, while Lowes is "slightly" more progressive...

Over the past year, Home Depot has consistently been hammered online over the conservative political stances of two of its founders: Bernie Marcus and Ken Langone. Both have vocalized consistent support for US President Donald Trump. Both have become outspoken and prolific donors to Republican causes and candidates since retiring from the retailer decades ago.

"Our founders have not been with The Home Depot for nearly 20 years and they don't speak on behalf of the company," a Home Depot spokesperson told Business Insider.

Observers have cited the North Carolina-based company's (Lowes) financial support of minority-owned businesses and its current CEO Marvin Ellison's status as one of four Black Fortune 500 CEOs.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
All big box stores are the suck but HD (retired) owners support Drumpf and the Rethuglicans, while Lowes is "slightly" more progressive...

Over the past year, Home Depot has consistently been hammered online over the conservative political stances of two of its founders: Bernie Marcus and Ken Langone. Both have vocalized consistent support for US President Donald Trump. Both have become outspoken and prolific donors to Republican causes and candidates since retiring from the retailer decades ago.

"Our founders have not been with The Home Depot for nearly 20 years and they don't speak on behalf of the company," a Home Depot spokesperson told Business Insider.
Observers have cited the North Carolina-based company's (Lowes) financial support of minority-owned businesses and its current CEO Marvin Ellison's status as one of four Black Fortune 500 CEOs.

And why the fuck do we need a HD sitting half a block away from Lowes?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Do you consider something like Ace Hardware a small/local alternative? Only asking because that's about the only real alternative in my locale

I have a True Value around the corner. I don't know if it is a corporate entity or a franchise but it is run like a local store. They offer a bunch of strange shit that would only be popular in Seattle. All the employees have been there for the 3 years I have lived here. They loan people hand tools for free, have small weird machine parts I can't find at the box stores.

However, if there are any hardware nerds out there and want to see an awesome hardware store, this place is tourism worthy if you are in Seattle.

Last edited: