Quantcast

Random new bike thread

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
1705700756854.png

I'd like a better look at that main pivot/idler thingy. Wonder what size the hardware is in the main pivot and whether that idler bolt is also retaining the pivot bolt or something. Like how thick are the sides of the chainstay at that pivot point.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
It looks the inner part looks stepped away from the seat tube quite a bit, I would guess the hardware is THICCCCCC. And then that little looking screw simply holds the idler in place and screws into the end of the main pivot somehow.

Or its done like this, like on the Range, just with an integrated chain guide:

1705702206396.png

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Built a couple of them up.
It's really not a great design. And neither is the idler guide.
Would NOT want in my life.
People often face issues with them getting loose? Not really interested in an idler bike for now but I am curious.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
People often face issues with them getting loose? Not really interested in an idler bike for now but I am curious.
Yeah. it's just another issue waiting to happen. As it's basically a fiddly mud trap with poor hardware and kinda easy to strip a thread fitting/undoing by a home mechanic/rider (even moar so if it needs disassembly on a ride.
Devinci spartan has to be the worst design I've worked on in recent years. But they mainly all fall into the above downsides.
There's 100% a faster rider than you not on an idler at your local DH/Enduro venue. Overly complicated high pivot idler bikes simply don't interest me.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Yeah. it's just another issue waiting to happen. As it's basically a fiddly mud trap with poor hardware and kinda easy to strip a thread fitting/undoing by a home mechanic/rider (even moar so if it needs disassembly on a ride.
Devinci spartan has to be the worst design I've worked on in recent years. But they mainly all fall into the above downsides.
There's 100% a faster rider than you not on an idler at your local DH/Enduro venue. Overly complicated high pivot idler bikes simply don't interest me.
I'm with Gary on this one. Always something so nice about relatively simple and clean bike designs without a lot of nooks and crannies and fiddly hardware. Aside from reducing the chance of something minor wrecking a ride or race, I like riding in the rain and mud enough that ease of cleaning and maintenance is higher on my priority list than the arguable benefits of HP idler bikes.

That also applies to some non-HP or idler designs that just look like a designer had KPIs for mud storage abilities and total surface area when they designed it.

If I owned one of these things I'd only be bothered to ride it in the 5% of days that were perfect weather without either mud or dust.

1705782618354.png

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I'm with Gary on this one. Always something so nice about relatively simple and clean bike designs without a lot of nooks and crannies and fiddly hardware. Aside from reducing the chance of something minor wrecking a ride or race, I like riding in the rain and mud enough that ease of cleaning and maintenance is higher on my priority list than the arguable benefits of HP idler bikes.

That also applies to some non-HP or idler designs that just look like a designer had KPIs for mud storage abilities and total surface area when they designed it.

If I owned one of these things I'd only be bothered to ride it in the 5% of days that were perfect weather without either mud or dust.
Seriously! I am still wondering why everybody i so excited by the new, all CNC-machined bikes/stays. All these corners where dirt can get trapped seems to be a nightmare. A frame made from tubes or closed monocoque structures seems to be the best option to make a bike weather proof.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
Seriously! I am still wondering why everybody i so excited by the new, all CNC-machined bikes/stays. All these corners where dirt can get trapped seems to be a nightmare. A frame made from tubes or closed monocoque structures seems to be the best option to make a bike weather proof.
the fancy Gamux race bikes having all their cnc pockets covered with cheap electrical tape always make me wonder how much the engineers are actually listening to team feedback.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
the fancy Gamux race bikes having all their cnc pockets covered with cheap electrical tape always make me wonder how much the engineers are actually listening to team feedback.
I wonder how much welders are paid these days. Can you really produce a CNC'd bike cheaper than let someone weld you some tubes together? Same goes for the Pivot carbon tubes in lugs prototypes. How can this be easier to manufacture than just welding a prototype?

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I'm pretty sure at least one of their racers is one of the engineers, so I always figured it was a case of "yeah we know it's a problem but we can't think of a more elegant design that doesn't compromise structure or add a bunch of weight."

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
So this is more a dig at all idlers and not their specific design? Personally what I'm riding now means I don't need a plow bike anyway but I'm just curious. The design from pics above does really seem like a mud trap so I can imagine this being shit in UK or Poland (since weirdly we get comparable rainfall).

I'd say if someone lives in San Remo or some other rocky, sunny place the bike may make more sense but still I don't like to risk bikes breaking. This makes more sense on a DH bike where you're always relatively close to your car to fix your shit

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
this is more a dig at all idlers and not their specific design?
Both.
Bearing in mind the idler is also subject to a chain pulling down on it and it's axle/hardware during pedalling. The thing needs to be fitted securely via a reliable method which also needs to be easy to clean and maintain or change out if required.
But even if it was done well that shit just isn't needed.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Both.
Bearing in mind the idler is also subject to a chain pulling down on it and it's axle/hardware during pedalling. The thing needs to be fitted securely via a reliable method which also needs to be easy to clean and maintain or change out if required.
BuT I NeEd My HiGhZZ PiVitZZ To HelP WiTh My OcHaInZZ

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Both.
I mean for DH bikes or for people living in specific areas I get the appeal but I think more people will buy it than who need it.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
oh wait, I ooh'd too quick. I thought they were using a chain to the pinion and a belt to the back wheel, avoiding the 19ft chain nonsense. Instead, they are doing the chain wrap nonsense with a belt. holy fucking shit

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
+1

Brake jack on such designs is soooo fuckin bad, I cannot understand why people even go that way...
They would just need to attach the brake to the chainstays (depending on how the linkage looks like), no?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I'm trying to think of some way it could have worse efficiency, but I'm coming up blank.