Quantcast

Random new bike thread

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
What is it?

I love rowdy hardtails, but I can't understand wanting 8" of travel on one.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
What is it?

I love rowdy hardtails, but I can't understand wanting 8" of travel on one.
Especially with a headtube that short.
It's an Army Bike Co something, not sure if it all that new just hadn't seen any hardtails with a dual crown for a long time.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan

dovbush66

Monkey
Aug 27, 2018
Ireland
mullet Demo is official.
santa cruz also have a carbon rear end for the mixed size v10, so a release for one is likely

might have been poor sobriety but remi thirion and someone else i think is running a mix as well from instagram riding clips on vital. maybe commencal will have an option in the future.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
santa cruz also have a carbon rear end for the mixed size v10, so a release for one is likely

might have been poor sobriety but remi thirion and someone else i think is running a mix as well from instagram riding clips on vital. maybe commencal will have an option in the future.
yea, i can't remember the timeline, but there is a UCI rule that requires any bike/component that is raced in a WC has to be saleable to the public within a certain timeframe of when it is first raced.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Not to be Captain Obvious, but 50-52 teeth cassettes are essentially 29-er specific.

Not needed for 27 (or 26 ofc).

Shimano XT offers 2 cassettes: one for 27, one for 29. E13 does too.

(I have no interest in SRAM drivetrains.)

New stuff - https://www.pinkbike.com/news/sram-new-gx-drivetrain-first-look-2020.html

Look at that jump to the last cog... the 50 tooth on my bike is already low enough that I only use it on steep or long gravel road type stuff. I've walked beside people riding in their 50 tooth and could probably have gone faster. Whats the point of 52 teeth? Maybe I posted in the wrong thread...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Not to be Captain Obvious, but 50-52 teeth cassettes are essentially 29-er specific.

Not needed for 27 (or 26 ofc).

Shimano XT offers 2 cassettes: one for 27, one for 29. E13 does too.

(I have no interest in SRAM drivetrains.)
That makes no sense. Running a smaller chainring on a 29er than you would on a bike with smaller wheels? Sure. But you don't need a wider range on a 29er, you just need to adjust where that range falls to compensate for the wheel size.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
That makes no sense. Running a smaller chainring on a 29er than you would on a bike with smaller wheels? Sure. But you don't need a wider range on a 29er, you just need to adjust where that range falls to compensate for the wheel size.
Look, we're talking the bike industry. Logic and reason have no place here.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Yeah I get that. I guess my question is, at what point does gearing get so low that you might as well just start hiking, as you'll move faster?

3x9 drivetrains had a wider range than any 1X setup, that technology is still catching up.

I agree not everyone needs all that range so having a choice is nice. I will continue to seek wider ranges.

My experience is that riding is easier even when no faster, especially on overgrown trails. May be easier to walk an IMBA super highway, but one should be ashamed if they can't pedal that shit faster anyway.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
32x50 is plenty usable for lots of climbing here in BC and still way better than walking. 32x52 could be useful for certain big alpine days with long sustained climbs or even rides with short steep climbs. Just because you wouldn't use it doesn't mean others couldn't.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I agree it's a bit silly, but it's pretty clear from the cassette offerings that the ultra low 52 is for 29 and the ~46T option is for 27, in my opinion.

But, spinning a 30T front-52T rear on a 27 is crazy low. And I am a weakling winch and plummet rider who climbs and sometimes pushes up steep shit.

Wider range is needed for climbing without a front derailleur.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I agree it's a bit silly, but it's pretty clear from the cassette offerings that the ultra low 52 is for 29 and the ~46T option is for 27, in my opinion.

But, spinning a 30T front-52T rear on a 27 is crazy low. And I am a weakling winch and plummet rider who climbs and sometimes pushes up steep shit.

Wider range is needed for climbing without a front derailleur.
Back when cars had smaller wheels we only needed 3 and 4 speed transmissions

:s

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
my granny combo is 32x47 ... after that I'm walkin' .
I am still running an 11spd road cassette, 11-36 is fine for my local lack of hills.
If I put the bike bag on I'll go to 175mm cranks and a 32t front ring for more torkz.

vinny4130

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
albuquerque
We can argue about who needs what and what gear range makes you a manly man or not, but the new derailleur and current axs are backwards and forward compatible. That’s pretty good as far as the bike industry goes. It is also a swipe at Shimano doing 51, it’s an incremental gain for sure but in the last few years Shimano seems to be good at making things incompatible with its self in the same generation, scraping previous “standards” and also not having new stuff in stock even remotely close to its announcement.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
We can argue about who needs what and what gear range makes you a manly man or not, but the new derailleur and current axs are backwards and forward compatible. That’s pretty good as far as the bike industry goes. It is also a swipe at Shimano doing 51, it’s an incremental gain for sure but in the last few years Shimano seems to be good at making things incompatible with its self in the same generation, scraping previous “standard” and also not having new stuff in stock even remotely close to its announcement.
but with the exception of axs, what other major innovations has sram put out on their drivetrains since they launched eagle? say what you will about shimano's stumbles (which they have had) but when they put out 12 speed they actually put out some features that weren't just more range. the ability to actually shift under load is a big one (and by all accounts i've read actually works), plus their double downshit feature (albeit carried over from 11 speed) is a standout feature over sram as well. to be fair here, you can do more than 1 downshift on sram, but only with axs.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
We can argue about who needs what and what gear range makes you a manly man or not, but the new derailleur and current axs are backwards and forward compatible. That’s pretty good as far as the bike industry goes. It is also a swipe at Shimano doing 51, it’s an incremental gain for sure but in the last few years Shimano seems to be good at making things incompatible with its self in the same generation, scraping previous “standards” and also not having new stuff in stock even remotely close to its announcement.
bullshit, just look at the new sram force WIDE. incompatible with the force released last year

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
Yeah I get that. I guess my question is, at what point does gearing get so low that you might as well just start hiking, as you'll move faster?
personally climb with a 30/42 setup all over here. But I am eager to swap my drivetrain to 12speed with a big 51T cassette once I retire the current drivetrain in a few hundred miles.

not to make an easier climbing gear, but for a taller DH gear, with more chain wrap in particular, while descending. I plan to run a 36T ring for similar climbing ratio. But get bigly gearing down.

vinny4130

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
albuquerque
@jonKranked the launch of eagle WAS range. Sram has made their cassettes shift better each iteration since 9speed, in no way am I saying it’s better than Shimano. Shimano 12sp cassettes have the best chain movement up and down it’s really good, I wish SRAMs did it. The multi down shift is great but for me makes no difference in my ride. Campy will down shift 5, it doesn’t make it better than Shimano because of it.

@sethimus honestly I didn’t mention sram road as mountain is the site focus. My statement has nothing to do with which is better as that is as subjective as which shifter click is better. The only way I can put it in to words is a sram shifter clickS like a video game controller and Shimano is more like a pinball cabinet, I am not implying that it makes one better than the other it’s a tactile feel, from two very different design interface goals.

honestly a 59 and a ball massager would sell like hot cakes boost or super boost!

Last edited:

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
I honestly can't stand Shimano's shifter ergonomics, SRAM's shifters have always felt much more crisp and definitive, with shorter throw, plus are more easily adjusted on the bar to fit with basically any weird ass brake lever shape on the market. The shifting performance of my 11spd XT on my hardtail is better than GX Eagle on my enderp bike, but the shifter has to be in a weird spot, even with an i-spec mount.

My GX Eagle derailleur has totally shit the bed, cage has slowly bent over time (several times) and tolerances on the pivots and knuckle are not good. Picked up a new 12spd SLX derailleur for $65, half the price of GX Eagle - haven't installed yet, but apparently the shift ratios between Shimano and SRAM are near identical at this point so it should work fine. Stoked to try it out, it'll definitely be the hot setup for my tastes if it works properly.