Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
michelin tires? inserts? 210mm dropper?
rimpact mullet set: 310g
difference in tire weight (compared to any other dh tire): 300-350g
210 dropper adds ~350g over any basic seatpost
so roughly 1kg
still 20kg/44lb+ bike
and at least 1/2 of the frame is not even painted.
c'mon man...

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
rimpact mullet set: 310g
difference in tire weight (compared to any other dh tire): 300-350g
210 dropper adds ~350g over any basic seatpost
so roughly 1kg
still 20kg/44lb+ bike
and at least 1/2 of the frame is not even painted.
c'mon man...
In their defence they made lighter versions and didn’t like the ride characteristics.
But 46lbs is still tough to swallow.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
Whilst it’s still a dumb idea to have it hanging down like that, at least it can pivot away from impacts, unlike a derailleur

shirk007

Monkey
Apr 14, 2009

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Alex created a nice clean tucked tensioner on his AC1.

crispy brah

all I see is three massive potentials for o-chain sales

vivisectxi

Monkey
Jan 14, 2021
yeast van
a bit surprising, actually. there's a few pinion enduro bikes in the wild (*edit* only a couple? zerode & nicolai... deviate dropped theirs, soooo...), but nary a production dh sled. was going to say the new zerode g3, but that's looking like 2024 release.

Last edited:

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
Cavalerie have their own gearbox - been a while since they made a proper dh bike though

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
That new Madonna is sick, but $4K AUD for an alloy frame with no shock is yeesh. Waiting the new Privateer 161 and 141. Hopefully released soon.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
That new Madonna is sick, but $4K AUD for an alloy frame with no shock is yeesh. Waiting the new Privateer 161 and 141. Hopefully released soon.
Definitely interested to see the geo on the new Privateers. Every time I look at the geo chart for a Madonna I get excited until I see the stack height. It could be that it's a non-issue, but it's far enough out of the norm that I'd need to test ride one before pulling the trigger.

shirk007

Monkey
Apr 14, 2009
The new Raaw is really close to the current Banshee Titan. 10mm lower bb is the main difference I see.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Definitely interested to see the geo on the new Privateers. Every time I look at the geo chart for a Madonna I get excited until I see the stack height. It could be that it's a non-issue, but it's far enough out of the norm that I'd need to test ride one before pulling the trigger.
The stack height should be a huge issue though? You'd just run less spacers and that would give you slightly longer actual reach at the same time?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Does sound a lot but bear in mind. Coming from a Mega for example. 10mm of the RAW's stack height is coming from it's 10mm MOAR BB drop

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
That's a bit like the geo of mine but mine has only 110mm rear travel and a suspension design that is not RM friendly, works fine for me.
1699605835134.png

I run a 1.5mm spacer and a 15mm rise bar, it's nice and upright for my old body.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
There's one guy that jeeps pushing those things for the Iditarod stuff (in the fatbike version) and a couple people that follow and do the same. In general, they handle like shit and add more weight. Keeping weight in check is one of the hardest things to do, choosing what you really need to make it as light as possible and still be safe. With panniers and good frame bag placement, you can do it, but it's definitely a learned skill IMO. It doesn't need to resort to those kinds of bikes and the vast majority isn't using them on these things. I don't think I'd like to run one, no interest.

et I was immediately surprised by how well the Hayduke LVS climbed. On a few techy sections of root and loose rock that I sometimes walk on my hardtail or full suspension, I just tractor-crawled right up like I was in 4-Low! The extra long wheelbase aided in traction so much that I didn’t have time to notice the Teravail Ehline 29×2.5″ on the rear (a tire that I’ve sworn off for riding here due to its lack of traction in our kitty litter trails.)
I do notice this though with longer chainstays. It's that longer lever that lets you get up steeper stuff without having to throw your weight crazy forward. There are a few definite terrain features that I can't make on my Canfield that I could on my longer bike. The stays are just so short there. But you kind of get this effect with a bikepacking bike with your loaded panniers, they put some weight down there and it kind of helps to do the same thing IME, but those stays are also pretty damn long. I've been going up steep stuff, loaded, in the soft snow that I am sure I wouldn't make without the load on there. On the Canfield, it's not enough features to make me want to ride something else, just a couple places where it's definitely noticeable as a drawback to the short stays. Everywhere else, they are pretty good.

Last edited: