Quantcast

rampage, dammit

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
camzinkEveryone send Paul Basagoitia positive vibes! This champion has started a long road to recovery after shattering his T12 vertebrae yesterday and undergoing 9 hours of surgery. He had a winning run going and may have set the record for biggest step down just before going down. Lots of tears have been shed. Keep Paul in your prayers to regain feeling in his legs. There were some horrible people spreading false news that he was OK, but he needs your support more than ever to walk again. Paul, you are the most tenacious human and competitor ever. Love you bud! You'll be back!

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Yeah, the good news has thus far been unsubstantiated. We can hope it turns out to be true, but so far its just some dude on the internet.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Zink didn't really say anything definite about the diagnosis which probably means they don't know if he will regain feeling in his legs or not.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Zink didn't really say anything definite about the diagnosis which probably means they don't know if he will regain feeling in his legs or not.
I think he was referring to the dude from socal who rides with some of the big boys who posted on MTBR saying that the surgery was a success, there wasn't any major nerve damage, and he's regaining feeling in his legs.

But nobody really knows if he's correct about that.

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
So that's it for Rampage, right? What a mess this event is.

Red Bull will take care of this guy for life, right? Anything less is unacceptable.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
I'm sure they sign waivers to not hold RB responsible and stating that they are insured. RB would be stupid not to. Anyone know for sure? Not to be a dick, but everyone involved knows the risks. (And yeah, if RB wanted to help it would obviously be the right thing to do...I just wouldn't hold my breath.)

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
People don't know that redbull is toxic waste yet?
Same reason people smoke. Lots of people are dumb ignorant f*cks. How could anyone believe constantly inhaling burning fumes and ash is good for your body? Yet they do it anyway. Same thing with energy drinks and "30 hr energy" whatevers, people don't give a f*ck about the long term, they want their caffeine fix and they want it now. I may be biased here, but I think even coffee is starting to get crazy out of hand, as in the number of people that can't function without it. It's gone past the "once and a while and there'll be no long term effects" to the "constant user" status for many people and I think there'll be consequences for that too. These things have reached Brawndo® status. I can't think of one good reason to ever drink something like Red Bull or Rockstar. I did for a short period, one night of Red Bull-vodkas totally ended any possible attraction to that particular brand, but I gave up the entire idea and soda in general shortly thereafter, realizing how negative of an effect there is on your body from these.

I was going to originally say: "free Red Bull for life!"

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Same reason people smoke. Lots of people are dumb ignorant f*cks. How could anyone believe constantly inhaling burning fumes and ash is good for your body? Yet they do it anyway. Same thing with energy drinks and "30 hr energy" whatevers, people don't give a f*ck about the long term, they want their caffeine fix and they want it now. I may be biased here, but I think even coffee is starting to get crazy out of hand, as in the number of people that can't function without it. It's gone past the "once and a while and there'll be no long term effects" to the "constant user" status for many people and I think there'll be consequences for that too. These things have reached Brawndo® status.

All the cool kids have a Redbull trucker hat, Monster tattoo or Joe Camel satin jacket.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
@Westy even has the best gas station sandwiches right there in c'ville ... #bellairmarket
you can also get exceptional kettle corn there.
Ivy? That there be yuppie food. The folks that do BM used to cater the cafeteria when I worked at GE. They now do the food at the CHO airport.

Ever had the fried chicken from Brown's Market on Avon? :drool:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
You sir, have never been to wawa
True, I've never been to any of these mythical gas-station paradises that have been mentioned, where evidently one would vacation just for the food.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Ivy? That there be yuppie food. The folks that do BM used to cater the cafeteria when I worked at GE. They now do the food at the CHO airport.

Ever had the fried chicken from Brown's Market on Avon? :drool:
yuppie food...lulz. they had them at the gas station on avon extended right by where i lived too. and yeah, i drove by brown's every day. dang right. good chit.

[insert petty rampage grip here so as to stay on topic]

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Call me cold hearted, but IMHO Redbull doesn't owe athletes anything. Sure if they felt like paying his bills that would be great, but all this Redbull better pay up, boycott Redbull nonsense is rediculous.

Rampage helps the Redbull brand, but don't for a second think athletes don't compete to promote their own brand. Guys like Zink and Straight are heros of the sport largely because of what they've accomplished at Rampage, by far the most visible free ride event. Non MTB sponsors don't give a shit about Crankworks or the Fest series, they want the Rampage footage. The athletes are well aware of the danger, the paycheck that comes with winning and the fact that most of them won't get jack shit for their efforts, and if they want a real chance at winning they have to risk life and limb, a risk they know full well they're not financially covered for.

Hopefully Paul B makes a full recovery, Tippie posted on IG earlier tonight that he has feeling to his knees and they're expecting more once the swelling subsides.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
About 12 years ago I helped build up an event for RedBull. In that week I learned all I needed to know about RedBull and I havent drank a single can since.

That said, these guys know exaclty what theyre getting into and I think its kind of weird to blame RedBull, though I obviously dont know any of the details.

Riding and racing DH for over a decade I have done some considerable sized jumps and gaps that could have easily ended with me ending up in the hospital or worse but we have a saying in Dutch.

Burn your ass and youll have to sit on the blisters...

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
i agree with turmans writeup on vital. good to see a main stream mtb media outlet take a stance and share it.

also, tippie posted on his IG that he went and saw paul in the hospital today. he said he was in very good spirits and has regained feeling down to his knees. they are hopeful for more as the swelling continues to go down. so good to hear some positive news from a reputable source

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Bummer about Paul B., dude was on a banger run and I hope he makes a fast and full recovery.

I remember him knocking us out with flips whips at Sea Otter a long time ago. (Same year or two as the Sanjay klunker jumps?)

Don't know the guy but I wonder how he and the other riders feel about people accusing Redbull of exploitation. Seems like they'd be happy to get the biggest possible stage to do their thing, but I can't really put myself in their heads at all.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Same reason people smoke. Lots of people are dumb ignorant f*cks. How could anyone believe constantly inhaling burning fumes and ash is good for your body? Yet they do it anyway. Same thing with energy drinks and "30 hr energy" whatevers, people don't give a f*ck about the long term, they want their caffeine fix and they want it now. I may be biased here, but I think even coffee is starting to get crazy out of hand, as in the number of people that can't function without it. It's gone past the "once and a while and there'll be no long term effects" to the "constant user" status for many people and I think there'll be consequences for that too. These things have reached Brawndo® status. I can't think of one good reason to ever drink something like Red Bull or Rockstar. I did for a short period, one night of Red Bull-vodkas totally ended any possible attraction to that particular brand, but I gave up the entire idea and soda in general shortly thereafter, realizing how negative of an effect there is on your body from these.

You can drink coffee responsibely but you have to know what your doing. Take magnesium, drink lots of water and eat something in between. Of course drinking shitty coffee all day made from moldy beans that were then burnt to death to hide the horrible taste is not the prefered option

More on topic - I agree with the Vital piece. While the guys get money from their sponsors it's still diffused responsibility. Red bull relies on rider sponsors to get the money for their rampage trip, sponsors rely on each other and now if a rider gets crap cash no one is to blame. Though the fact that not all riders are insured by redbull is probably the worst part of the whole #fuckrampage thing. So all red bull sponsored riders are insured (at least in yurp) and will get to special clinics payed for by RB but if you ride for Monster during a RB sponsored event you are SOL? That's just evil

Last edited:

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/

their cola is quite good though

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The athletes are well aware of the danger.
Given that the human brain isn't even fully developed in to the mid-20s, I'd say that if you asked any of these guys 10 or 15 years from now if they'd still have done their runs knowing what they know in later life, they'd probably say no. I think some of these sports are getting so "extreme" now that the smallest screw-up kills you and has consequences far worse than 10 or 15 years ago. It's good entertainment, but it's getting worse and worse for the participants IMO as the margin of safety gets thinner and thinner. Just keep them hopped up on Red Bull tho...

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
i agree with turmans writeup on vital. good to see a main stream mtb media outlet take a stance and share it.

also, tippie posted on his IG that he went and saw paul in the hospital today. he said he was in very good spirits and has regained feeling down to his knees. they are hopeful for more as the swelling continues to go down. so good to hear some positive news from a reputable source
I agree somewhat. The riders could indeed decline the invitation to ride if they feel they are being exploited. Maybe Zink and Strait won't show next year. Problem is, a lot of the riders are Redbull spawnsored athletes. I wonder if contractually, they can refuse the invitation. When I saw Zink's "#fuckrampage" hashtag, I wondered what other riders thought of it. Andreu has been a pretty outspoken guy in the past, refusing to ride in Joyride and pulling out of the FMB series because he doesn't agree with their vision of mountain biking. So I wondered what he had to say about Redbull and how they fund the athletes at Rampage. And then I realized he is sponsored by them. As are the Claw, Genon, Godziek and a slew of others. The "fact" (I don't know if it really is a fact) that Redbull can coerce them into the competition is a little twisted.

And then there's the "moral" question: is it really better to allow the riders take ever increasing risks just because the reward is greater? I pose the question ethically, as in, they do it just for our entertainment. I don't have the answer, and I guess that's a question the athletes have to answer for themselves... and maybe they don't do it just for our entertainment, maybe it is personal, for their own benefit and sense of accomplishment....