Quantcast

Quick vid from Mt 7

nowlan

Monkey
Jul 30, 2008
Im from the East coast, and when I seen Mt 7 I think my head exploded with amazement. I never actually got to ride it, we were their to ride Kicking horse and I had some bike issues which put me on a rental for 3 days. When I got my bike back I had a nasty spill at the Resort which pretty much shut down my riding for a year so I never got to get to it. However I did walk down Dead Dog and then hiked back up the service road which was insane. That place is amazing. Ive never seen anything like it.

Raingauge

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
Canadia
I love showing people Dead Dog. It puts steep in a new perspective, especially when you tell them it gets steeper once you get into the trees.

nowlan

Monkey
Jul 30, 2008
Ya we hiked down that entire trail. I was up to my ankles in silt, I cant imagine riding that on the regular. That entire place blew me away, I loved everything about that town besides the almost dying in its Mountains part.

nicolais2000

Chimp
May 22, 2011
I rode it last time in 2008 during a 4 months stay in BC. Finally, this year I will be back and Mt 7 is the place to be after getting used to nasty trails...

nowlan

Monkey
Jul 30, 2008
From the minimal time I spent in Golden, I can tell you that Dead Dog (physhosis) seemed to me a very small part of whats going on on that mountain. Its mind blowing what the locals have. And right across the valley is Kicking horse. Good vacation destination for sure.
You would need to arrange some shuttles for Mont 7, but it didnt seem to be an issue, I was at the local shop and was offered several rides up from people I had never met before. Good ol Canada.

Raingauge

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
Canadia
FWIW the part where we duck in off the road is only the last part of the race course. The vid was taken mid-May and there was way too much snow to get up to the the top of the hill. The best and really gnarly parts of the hill are up higher.

Psychosis was just a one weekend race. There were two different races; one from the top starting at Dead Dog and one starting at the 5KM mark on the road.

I'm trying to upload some more vid. I'll post link here when I get them up.

If you're there on a weekend you can easily get shuttles for a little gas money or beer.

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150639546840333&comments

nowlan

Monkey
Jul 30, 2008
Just finished the first pinkbike one you tossed up. Loving them. Some seriously steep stuff. I remeber their was one part in Dead Dog after a ridge line aboue 1/4 of the way down after that steep climb, I couldnt believe how steep it was. And the roll in to it was unreal.
As much as it sucks to say, im glad I got hurt in Kicking horse and not up their, I cant even imagine how I would have gotten out.

Raingauge

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
Canadia
Just finished the first pinkbike one you tossed up. Loving them. Some seriously steep stuff. I remeber their was one part in Dead Dog after a ridge line aboue 1/4 of the way down after that steep climb, I couldnt believe how steep it was. And the roll in to it was unreal.
As much as it sucks to say, im glad I got hurt in Kicking horse and not up their, I cant even imagine how I would have gotten out.
I think you're talking about RTC. Steep rock to a silty groove with a tree at the bottom?

The Golden search and rescue do a really good job at getting guys out of there that have been injured. The guy in front if me in that vid stopped himself on a tree with his head after hitting the wet dream drop. He ended up with 3 broken vertebrae and a broken wrist. They had him strapped and in the hospital in under an hour.

Golden is an awesome town for riding; even the resort across the valley keeps things steep and rough. If you're ever in the area start in Golden, then head ~1.5 hrs south to Invermere and ride Panorama, then head another ~1.5 hrs south to Fernie and ride the resort there. You can ride 3 different resorts in 3 days. There are great shuttle trails in all those town that you can ride after the lifts close if you've got the energy.

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
Hey I rode there by complete chance last year while heading back to Québec on a road trip. Stopped to camp in Golden and the muni camping is right at the bottom of the trail system. Saw a couple guys shooting down with DH bikes so I hiked part of the trail up with my 4x hardtail. Needless to say I got scared shi*less on the way down with my my 69degree head angle and 100mm fork, xc lid and no pads!! The very last part of the trail drops you onto the beach right beside the river. Steep is not the word to describe those trails!

EDIT: Looking at the trail map, the trails would B-12 and Kamikaze. Man it was such a rush of adrenaline. Of all my years DH racing and riding, never did I come across such nasty well made trails like that. To ride them on the hardtail was an incredible experience

EDIT2: trail map here: http://www.tourismgolden.com/pdfs/Map_Mount7.pdf

Last edited: