Quantcast

Quick Help!!!

MTBSully

Monkey
May 20, 2005
I have been desparetely trying to bleed my front hayes mag disk brake before the US open for the past two hours, but it isnt working. the directions say to squeeze the bottle and then let go, and continue to do this until no bubbles come out. This means there is no air in the caliper. I have been doing this for stleast an hour, and bubbles are still coming out. someone help me before i throw my bike over a cliff

MikeT

Monkey
Feb 17, 2002
Hell
maybe you got a leak, or you don't have the bottle on tight.

you are pumping from the bottom to the top right? make sure you are only pumping in liquid, without any bubbles.

could also be something more serious in the caliper or master cylinder (worn or broken seals/parts)

you could always borrow someone's brake, or get it off another bike (if you have another bike).

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
The squeeze and release technique works, but it takes some timing to get right. You really have to visualize how the system holds air and how you are pushing fluid through the system.

The original hayes instructions (ie, 8 years ago) said to just hold pressure on the bottle. This makes your hand tired and means you have to pump a lot of fluid. Hense the pump and release technique.

Make sure the lever is rotated up. Make sure the hose from the lever to the can is tight. Make sure the can has enough fluid in it. (if the fluid is really dirty, purge, add clean fluid to can at top, and then bleed.
I pump fluid in from the bottom using the pump and release method. When I think the system is full, fill you pump bottle again and redo. The more full the bottle, the easier.

MTBSully

Monkey
May 20, 2005
lets hope someone has an extra brake, or they guys at the shop there know how to fix this. i cant seem to get anything to work

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
they guys at the shop there can fix anything. doesn't mean they want too. for a price they'll bleed your brake correctly.

oh oh, tell them Steve from Rochester sent you. he'll love that

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
The bleed screw is leaking air around the threads!

You either have it unscrewed too far (only 1/4 to 1/3 turn max) or it has lost its seal.

Close the top (so all the fluid doesn't run out) and take the bleed screw all the way out. Wrap the threads with a little bit of teflon tape and put it back in.

:cheers:

Mike

flat broke

Monkey
Nov 18, 2004
Long Beach, CA
The bleed screw is leaking air around the threads!

You either have it unscrewed too far (only 1/4 to 1/3 turn max) or it has lost its seal.

Close the top (so all the fluid doesn't run out) and take the bleed screw all the way out. Wrap the threads with a little bit of teflon tape and put it back in.

:cheers:

Mike
You may have just saved me a huge headache. I've been having a bitch of a time bleeding my rear Hayes 9. I could push 30ccs of fluid with no bubbles and as soon as I reached to close the bleed screw, I'd get bubbles again. I'll try this trick, but also had a question about the stupid little bleed plug on the MC. How snug should it be? Mine stays in place, but feels really loose, could the system ingest air if that were the case? The plug looks fine, so I'm assuming it's an issue with whatever surface it seals against inside the MC.

Thanks in advance,
Chris

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
I find that a syringe works better than the Hayes Bottle, also use a small zip tie to hold the tube onto the bleed screw. Dont forget to make sure the lever is in the proper position for bleeding. Other than that, the Pfte tape trick works wonders