Quantcast

quick avid question

def

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
knoxville, tn
Is it possible to bleed juicy's with out avid's bleed kit? I picked up a set of 7's off a hommie and they've got some mush to them. The local shops can bleed them for me with theirs or order me one for sale.....but I'm not the type of cat to have others wrench on my bikes.

thanks

(ps, I ran a quick search but didn't come up w/ anything that helps)

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I would say you need the bleed kit. Specifically, you need the fittings that thread into the caliper and lever, but I don't think they are available seperately.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
you could try, but getting the reservoir cap on and off like how you bleed other brakes would be a bitch...

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
You might be able to rig up something if you can find the fittings for the bleed ports - beyond those it's just a couple of syringes and hoses. Really though, the kit is not too expensive and it works great.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
You can't, because there is no conventional bleed nipple.

You need the thread-in bleed fitting that goes into the caliper (at the very least) - if you could find that then you could bleed conventionally I imagine, but I doubt you'll find it as i'm pretty sure it's a proprietary fitting.

I've heard the avid bleed method actually works pretty well if you read it and do it right, so it's probably the thing to try first. Also, I found that the instructions in the juicy manual are a little more straightforward than the single-page bleeding instruction pdf (which throws it all on one page in a pretty confusing way).

The other annoyance you might have with bleeding conventionally is that avid have a painted lever not anodized (same with most brake companies except hope) so if the dot fluid spills around the resovoir which it inevitably does, it's going to take away the paint. So the factory bleed method is probably the cleaner and neater way to go too.