Quantcast

Question on bmx and mtb chain compatibility

schwinnstr8

Monkey
Aug 21, 2002
East Los
i have a BMW park bike that i am building and i would like some information if anyone can help me.

i was on danscomp.com looking at the s&m bash guard sprocket, and i was wondering if i could use this sprocket with a 9 spd cassette on the rear?

In the product description for the bash guard sprocket, it said for 1/8" chain only. Would i be able to use it? Are BMX chains and MTB chains a standard size?

any information would help

thanks in advance

P.S. - i saw a similar setup i wanted to run on gackbmx.com and they had their own HeftyBash Guard sprocket on a mtb hardtail. I cant get a hold of Gack so my next option was to use the S&M one

http://www.gackbmx.com/speeddemonmtb.html

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
BMX chains are way wider than a 9 speed and will not work on a 9 speed cassette. I don't have the measurements but a BMX chain is probably almost as wide as two cogs on a 9 speed cassette.

The teeth on BMX rings are usually a lot thicker (and therefore stronger and more durable) than those on 9 speed rings, and you can't use a 9 speed chain on them, it just doesn't mesh.

If the manufacturer is saying you can't use a 9 speed chain, they are probably right. That's not always true but this time it is.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
check out the e13 crown and bash byfar the best set up and its made for your bike type. easy mounting and bomb proof.