Quantcast

Question for Fox 180mm users

Dwdrums00

Monkey
Mar 31, 2007
I finally had the opportunity to get a little saddle time on my 2011 fox 180mm float Rc2 and noticed I never get full travel. Today I decided to measure the length of my stanchions out of curiosity. To my surprise, my stanchions came out to a whopping 194mm's in length. I measured from the top of the dust seal to the end of the stanchion. Has anyone else had this issue? Any pertinent information would be greatly appreciated.
photo.JPG

Last edited:

Dwdrums00

Monkey
Mar 31, 2007
Jon, to be honest I haven't accurately measured the forks max travel. I just noticed the O-ring wasn't getting anywhere near the crowns so I started to play with HSC and air pressure.

UPDATE: I decided to air down the fork and bottom it out. The fork is getting 187mm of travel and has 7mm of stanchion left until the seals hit the crowns.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Jon, to be honest I haven't accurately measured the forks max travel. I just noticed the O-ring wasn't getting anywhere near the crowns so I started to play with HSC and air pressure.

UPDATE: Just air down the fork and bottomed it out. The fork is getting 187mm of travel and has 7mm of stanchion left until the seals hit the crowns.
you don't want the o-ring to max out at the crowns. you always want some space between the crowns/arch when bottomed out.

Dwdrums00

Monkey
Mar 31, 2007
you don't want the o-ring to max out at the crowns. you always want some space between the crowns/arch when bottomed out.
I understand that. Especially since there is a bottom out bumper and you need tire/crown clearance. That still doesn't explain why I am getting 187mm travel and not even hitting the bottom bumper very hard.

TWeerts

Monkey
Jan 7, 2007
The Area Bay
i dont get it. are you trolling?

187mm form a 180mm marketed fork sounds good to me. i would have expected the marketing to over sell.

RoboS

Chimp
Sep 1, 2008
Fox forks by design have few milimeters longer space between seals and crown. When you bottomed out hard, you just compressed bottom-out bumper which is there to save your fork from serious damage. It's OK to use 160mm of travel and have the last 20mm for some unexpected hit.

Dwdrums00

Monkey
Mar 31, 2007
i dont get it. are you trolling?

187mm form a 180mm marketed fork sounds good to me. i would have expected the marketing to over sell.
I have a 180mm fork with 194mm of stanchion showing. My axle to crown is approximately 578mm when it should be 565mm. Tell me, how is that trolling?

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
I have a 180mm fork with 194mm of stanchion showing. My axle to crown is approximately 578mm when it should be 565mm. Tell me, how is that trolling?
i understand your concern - i'd call fox and ask them about it.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
The advertised numbers are rounded out to make it easy to remember/say/sell/whatever. I know that back in the day my Marz forks never had quite as much travel as advertised.

staike

Monkey
May 19, 2011
Norway
The advertised numbers are rounded out to make it easy to remember/say/sell/whatever. I know that back in the day my Marz forks never had quite as much travel as advertised.
When? I bottom my 66 RC2x 2007 (180 mm) at 175 mm. And a 2007 Drop Off Triple at 165 (advertised 170).

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
When? I bottom my 66 RC2x 2007 (180 mm) at 175 mm. And a 2007 Drop Off Triple at 165 (advertised 170).
The forks I am talking about were pre 2000 :panic: crazy huh? I'm just making the point that the measurements listed in the manufacturer specs are consistently wrong.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Fox air forks are a little frustrating in that there's a top out spring you need to be aware of that most certainly changes its resting point with air pressure. I've put 3 30mm travel reducers on a float once, cranked the air pressure to ungodly levels and ended up with a for that extends 110mm when it should have been 90.

How much pressure you running in that thing? You may have the top out spring maxed or close to it.

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
Fox air forks are a little frustrating in that there's a top out spring you need to be aware of that most certainly changes its resting point with air pressure. I've put 3 30mm travel reducers on a float once, cranked the air pressure to ungodly levels and ended up with a for that extends 110mm when it should have been 90.

How much pressure you running in that thing? You may have the top out spring maxed or close to it.

I just spent 2 minutes watching a dude in a canoe.
Damn you woo!

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I just measured my 180mm Vanilla for you.
The stanchions measure 185.5 mm, and axle to crown is 565mm.
I have pushed the o-ring almost to very top on a couple of really hard hits, so it looks like I am getting full travel as well.