Quantcast

Question for Dare Owners!

hurley64

Chimp
Sep 4, 2003
Hey, putting together a Dare for a friend and have run into a problem with the chain rubbing against the swingarm in the lowest gear, using a sram cassette and PC 99 chain with a XO rear D. Appreciate any advice!

John

hurley64

Chimp
Sep 4, 2003
single ring up front, Raceface Diablous with a E.13 chainguide.

Frame is an 02 Dare DH, rubs in back right at the drop-out.

Will take a pic and load it up.

John

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
quick fix would be to put a washer in there between the frame and the hub, but small enough it doesn't touch the cassette lockring.

or can you loosen the through axel bolt(then end one), then loosen the drive side pinch bolts, dropout should move out slightlytighten pinch bolts then axel bolt. not sure if the hub will float around though,

check to see if the hub axel flange has dug into the dropout around the axel from overtightening, if so use a washer and don't over tighten, just needs to be snug, not crushed, pinch bolts hold axel in place.

anyways, hope these ideas will help.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
um, how about a little less cable housing from frame to rear der?
its dead on for a reason.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
hm, also this weekend i'll be rebuilding my buddies dare. he's running about the same parts. i'll look into this one.
maybe hadley has a new axle they are using, cause the hadley wheels i have here for it have ample clearance for the chain there. will know more when the whole bike is here.
is that the newest version?
my buddies i think is a 2004

hurley64

Chimp
Sep 4, 2003
Its an 02 Frame with a new rear end, or at least appears so, bike was a demo at speedgoat. Been sitting for a while, owner was in Afghanistan when he ordered it.

I didnt cut the cables, but will suggest shortening it, got bigger worries right now with the chain rub.

Dont like the idea of not fully tightning the axle to make it work, so hopefully someone has seen this before.

John

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
Tied spokes! Stronglikebull
I didn't know azonic made tires!!
one solution is tomake it an 8 speed. Just set the limit screws on that derailleur.
Maybe too much of a ghettorig though. try a small washer around the axle.
Or you could just gouge some Al from around that dropout, assuming it's replaceable, It looks plenty strong. Nevermind, it's not replaceable.

vibiker

Monkey
May 3, 2004
Santa Clara / Vashon
hurley64 said:
using a sram cassette
Just as a test, if you have a Shimano cassette laying around, throw it on and see if it makes a difference.
I have an XT cassette on my '02. I have a Hadley hub. No spacers or anything funky. It is very close, but it does not rub.

HTH,
John

hurley64

Chimp
Sep 4, 2003
Will try a cassette swap...see if that makes a difference..never used sram cassettes, so i ddint even think to question it..thanks for the tip!

John