Quantcast

Question for dads...

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
So my wife has just presented me this option for Fathers' Day...

Round Trip tickets from here (Washington DC) to Denver for a 4 day weekend of biking, etc,...

She knows Colorado is my FAV spot for riding and this gift would be great as I wasn't able to make it out last year.

Problem is... this will be my FIRST OFFICIAL Fathers' Day. Should I spend it with my new son? He'll only be six months old at the time. Will he even know I didn't spend fathers' day with him? Is the day a reward for me being a father?

Maybe I could move the dates of the tickets and spend the official day with him and travel the following weekend or later?

What do some of you other dads think? (or moms, as this could apply to mother's day as well.)

Is this a trick question that only has one answer? Is it a test? lol.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
I say go for it, your kid is not going to care. I've sent my hubby out the door to do what he loves on FD and just made sure we have a nice steak cook out for dinner.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Yes, spend the time with family. It's cool that she wants to do that for you, but I like to spend fathers day with my daughter and I give my pops a call.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
That would be the ideal father's day gift if the tickets/trip were timed differently (i.e. you went in June, not ON father's day). I used to think father's day was a day for me, as a "vacation" or "reward" for all the fatherly things I've done.

I've since learned that it's a day my kids get to celebrate having me as a dad, not for me to celebrate being a dad.

So, with that said, spend it with your kids and your father. Take a rain check on the trip.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
Thinking of taking the offer, but changing the dates. Late June / early July is a much better time of year for biking in Colorado IMO. Early June risks snow still at high elevations.

Won't be spending the day with my dad as he's 2500 miles away, but maybe an outing with my son and father-in-law, who lives a mile from me (first grandchild for him).

And is it a coincidence this offer was presented a mere week and a half before Mothers' Day? This is definately a way to bump one's own gift up a notch or so. (I know, my wife plans everything in advance, ie.. plane tickets, and she's just an extremely thoughtful person anyway.)

I can already taste the burritos and beer at Teocalli Tamale. Mmmmm....

highrevs

Monkey
Oct 13, 2005
NC
I say go ride your bike. In my household mothers/fathers day are viewed as hallmark holidays. Mothers/fathers are “special” every day of the year, so there is no need to do anything “special” on a “special” day. My wife, my son and I usually do what we would do any other day of the year, which may include me going for a bike ride.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Fathers day is for YOU, the father, to enjoy. What would you rather be doing? Riding the bike you worked your a** off to afford or sitting at the house pretending to be interested in teletubbies and watching your kid drool?
Your kid will appreciate you when you teach him how to stack wood in the middle of winter at 7. He's too young for that now.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
I say go ride your bike. In my household mothers/fathers day are viewed as hallmark holidays. Mothers/fathers are “special” every day of the year, so there is no need to do anything “special” on a “special” day. My wife, my son and I usually do what we would do any other day of the year, which may include me going for a bike ride.

ditto - holidays designed by marketing departments, in this case to sell Craftsman tools and cards, instead of chocolates and cards.

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
Some will understand my answer-- spend it with your son. Though he's only six months old, it'll be a day you'll remember always. You can ride another day/weekend/week, so plan that a bit later. Besides, the giggles from your son will sound a whole lot sweeter that day.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
:stupid: Go ride, bang a stripper, snort coke out of her belly button and trash a bar.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
seeing how it's your first father's day, this should seal the deal your family will be present. aren't there any lifts open in w.v. in mid-june? (i assume there are proper dh resorts only 3 hrs drive west) get a b&b for a long wknd w/ the family & take one day for yourself on the mtn. could double-up w/ another family, too. just sayin'...

of course, i'm kind of biased being in colorado & having spent every father's day here.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
While I agree that Valentine's day is a day blown out of proportion by Hallmark (wife agrees with me on this), when did Mothers' / Fathers' days become the same?

While I don't need a special day as a reward for being a good dad, it sure is a nice gesture and I will be celebrating my first one with family.

(working on spending all future fathers' days in a place like Colorado or the PNW with family. - Grass is always greener.)

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
While I agree that Valentine's day is a day blown out of proportion by Hallmark (wife agrees with me on this), when did Mothers' / Fathers' days become the same?

While I don't need a special day as a reward for being a good dad, it sure is a nice gesture and I will be celebrating my first one with family.

(working on spending all future fathers' days in a place like Colorado or the PNW with family. - Grass is always greener.)
I am on the fence about Mother/Father 's Day. I think it can easily be blown out of proportion, but we dont' view it the same as we do Valentine's Day.

This will be my 2nd Mother's day and last year Syd & Sq-Earl got me a beautiful ring (with Syd's birthstone in it). I was completely floored because I didn't have a clue and we had a wonderful day together. I am usually not a jewlery person, but I love the ring and wear it every day. In fact, I find myself looking at it and remembering how I got it and can't help but smile (I was nursing Syd and Sq-Earl delivered my breakfast in bed with a little box wrapped up next to my coffee).

I would say, spend the day with your family and head to CO on another weekend (besides, the riding will be better later in the season when you aren't thinking about it being Father's Day).

So now, what are you doing for Mother's Day is the big question ;)

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
a 6 month old can't read a calendar. go bike.
LOL I was gonna say..........it's just another day. Wait until your young one knows what Fathers day is. Please don't tell me you're gonna give up watching him eat/sleep/poop instead of a trip. The trips, and maybe even the wife being so nice might not be the same forever you know...

Come to think of it........I remember mothers day/fathers day but it was mainly during the time in school. Once I got old enough each one sorta said it's really just another day. It's sorta lame to put a day on your father/mother that you're suspose to go out of your way for. I guess that's how I see it. Any day should be a good reason for a father/mother day.