Quantcast

Question about Kirkcaldie?

BrayDownhill

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Bray, Ireland
Howdy, I'm just wondering why John Kirkcaldie doesn't concentrate on the world cup races?

He's proven himself so much over the years on the NORBA scene and he's darn fast again this year, fast enough to place real high on the world cups. Remember what happened last year, a few injuries, a dose of rain mid run and then it opened the season up for some many riders to win at the last round.

Surely a world title would be a dream come true for all riders and with his speed and consistiency.

DHanamal

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Boulder, CO
It could be an issue of money. I have no idea what his team's budget is, but for many riders they have to pay a lot out of their pockets to get to European World Cups. For instance, last year Bryn Atkinson wanted to race the Worlds in Switzerland, but because of lack of money he couldn't go. Instead he went to the US Open and won.
Kirkcaldie is an extremely good rider, but the World Cup scene is pretty stacked, and it's so difficult to win a Title since you have so many closely matched riders.

yeah. money is a rpoblem for even the best riders. which reminds me, i realized the dominance of euros on the world cup circuit, then i realized, these people do this for a living, like soccer. But for every world cup champ, there are ten more kids who will never make it becasue of money issues. fact of life.

Banga

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Wellington, New Zealand
BrayDownhill said:
Howdy, I'm just wondering why John Kirkcaldie doesn't concentrate on the world cup races?

He's proven himself so much over the years on the NORBA scene and he's darn fast again this year, fast enough to place real high on the world cups. Remember what happened last year, a few injuries, a dose of rain mid run and then it opened the season up for some many riders to win at the last round.

Surely a world title would be a dream come true for all riders and with his speed and consistiency.

JKs done with racing, hes had enough, he only went back this year cause he had a year to run on his contract, hes got a business down here, a gf spending half the year away from home would be pretty bad, so this year hes doing as little racing as he can and thats it. Thats straight from him earlier this year out on the piss one night.

jimengdh

Chimp
Mar 15, 2004
I was wondering that how much did the top riders earn from a whole race season?
Why the riders have to pay a lot out of their pockets to get to European World Cups?I tend to think the Team should pay the money,otherwise the team is useless,and what about sponsor :confused:

Agent Z

Chimp
Aug 23, 2002
Bay Area, CA
Considering the price of flying back and forth to Europe, not just for 1 rider but for a mechanic and multiple bikes, it's not unreasonable. A sponsor can't really afford to send a racer to 8 world cups while coming back to the US for each of the 5 Norbas if he isn't going to make the podium for sure.

Some riders have it worse... a couple years ago when Shaums March was with Ellsworth, he wore out his frame by the end of the season and couldn't even get a replacement.