Quantcast

PSA: Lyme Disease

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
i've spent my entire life in the woods, i got my lyme bite in the suburban backyard of my old merrifield apartment. irony's a bitch.

Stiff

Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Miss Washington DC
Apparently DC area woodlands are the most tick-infested areas in N America. I always try to wear a hat and long pants when doing trailwork and hiking. New fabrics are more breathable these days so long pants aren't too bad.

MikeT

Monkey
Feb 17, 2002
Hell
uggh, i checked myself over after riding the 'shed today, found a tick on my shorts.

i got a long sleeve jersey, but i dont really wanna wear pants when i ride in the summer, any suggestions? does tick repelent work? just spray that stuff on before a ride?

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
Found two (very small - pinhead) ticks on me after trailwork at Rosaryville this weekend. I've only seen the larger ones before. These guys were so small, I couldn't tell if there was a dot or not.

I never worried about ticks until I moved here and started encountering them routinely.

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
it was one of those tiny, tiny 'pinhead' ones that did me in. i picked the thing offa my ankle thinking it was a tiny scab. got the bullseye rash the next day :(

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
it was one of those tiny, tiny 'pinhead' ones that did me in. i picked the thing offa my ankle thinking it was a tiny scab. got the bullseye rash the next day :(
Yup, it's those little ones (deer ticks) you have to worry about. The larger ones (dog ticks) don't carry it, AFAIK.